Tires: suggestions?

Larz

3 hours ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

You'll get much more than 5k out of a rear Shinko Raven.  The front tire seems to last forever.  I keep 42 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear.  If you buy these tires, you'll buy them over and over again.  I've read some folks posting that Shinko tires are junk.  They have no idea what they're talking about.  Trust me on this one.

Challenge accepted. The longest life I've gotten out of a rear on the FJ is ~3,000 miles (Angel ST). OEM tire barely made it 1500 miles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

'15 FJ09

1 hour ago, chitown said:

Shinko is Korean for "lowside". 

That's a joke :) 

Will say after helping a friend mount Shinkos they performed well but needed more weight for balancing than any tire I've ever mounted. QC may have improved since as that was a few years back. 

I remember a few years ago experiencing the additional weight phenomenon.  Once balanced, they were still great though.  Balancing has not been an issue recently.  Read the reviews and give them a try if you like what you read.

Modern motorcycle tires (the sport and sport touring variety) are incredibly good.  Any tire from one of the major brands will perform very well with some differences between them in handling characteristics and mileage.  The good news is you really can not go wrong whatever you choose.  

Having said this, my favorite so far is the Roadsmart 3.  For me these seem to be a little more on the sport side of the sport touring equation with some of the DNA from the superb Q3 sport tire.  In terms of dry grip they are very impressive for an ST tire.   

• Thumbsup 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I've used the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires on my bike twice now.  I like them.  Because of a recommendation from a friend, I just installed some Continental Road Attack 3 tires.  They seem to be very good also.  I haven't really encountered much for wet travel since installing them, but the reviews say they are good in wet conditions too.

And I think there's still a $60 rebate on them.

Chris

Edited by daboo
  • Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, harraseeket said:

The owners manual says that after extensive testing only use The Dunlop,is it possible that is right?why would they say that?

Something something lawyers something something money.

Who knows for certain. Try 'em all is my opinion!

'15 FJ09

1 hour ago, harraseeket said:

The owners manual says that after extensive testing only use The Dunlop,is it possible that is right?why would they say that?

What. The. Frack. Only use the Dunflops? Negatory, good buddy.. ( shite, did I void my warranty by slapping Conti Road Attack 3s on the sled?...no 🤔🙄😎.

Edited by Larz

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, harraseeket said:

Dunlop gave Yamaha the best bulk price on the crap OEM tires that came on the bike. Should be a crime to replace them with the same thing.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

2 hours ago, harraseeket said:

Because it's written to protect stupid people from themselves.

Never ever depart from the recommended shift points or tires or you'll die :)

• Haha 5

Planning to replace them with the Michelin road pilot fives which is what I had on my last bike . It is a little bizarre that Yamaha only recommends one specific tire for the bike. It makes you wonder if all the other must do 's in the manual say are equally ludicrous . I have to say though as OEM tires that come on a bike they're much better than any others I've had on new bikes .

• Thumbsup 2

I have 2,000 miles on my Michelin Road 5's , cannot say enough how good they are!  Tread wear, grip is outstanding!   You can't go wrong with a Michelin.  There are a lot of good tires these day's , but I don't skimp, went my life depends on it! 

• Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, bushman57 said:

I have 2,000 miles on my Michelin Road 5's , cannot say enough how good they are!  Tread wear, grip is outstanding!   You can't go wrong with a Michelin.  There are a lot of good tires these day's , but I don't skimp, went my life depends on it! 

Seriously buying a Shinko and spending the difference on rider training would probably make more sense if safety is that important to you.

I love Michelins but not because I think they're more/less safe than other major brands.

------- 

Yamaha manuals also often contain the warning that mixing tires could lead to an accident. I've never been able to find any data suggesting this is an issue. Have had mfg reps try to convince me and it was always super weak. It's another point that makes me think it was inserted for reasons other than safety. From a safety standpoint I'd rather they add more information on why tread depth isn't the only measure of tire wear. I see weekend warriors riding on very old tires that have nothing left all the time and have to quell my OCD inner nanny. 

• Thumbsup 1

Just fitted pilot road 5 but yet to give them a good run, however from past experience on other bikes with the pilot series they are very good especially in the wet.

In the dry I find it hard to separate any of the major brands, it’s wet weather performance that l look at.

Mike

• Thumbsup 2