RED oil level and Temperature overheating warning light.

Hi, my dash Red warning light for oil level and temperature on my 900 GT ( UK Model ) started to come on after riding off first thing in the morning

after about half a mile,  I would stop and pull over and after about 15 seconds it would go out, set off again and half a mile later the very same thing.

Then can ride all day and it never happens again, even if I stop for a few hours it does not come on again. Then the next morning the very same thing

Even though I know it is not low on oil and the temperature is correct. I frightens me and I have to stop. Then as I said is all right all day.

Cheers Edgar Jessop .  

Is your oil level at the very top of the sight glass? Mine prefers it to be up there rather than slightly lower down. As you haven’t mentioned it, and it also makes no sense why it  only does it at the start of the ride, it is unlikely to be the coolant level, but worth a glance at the levels in the filler bottle anyway, just in case.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Hi, because of the distance ridden involved I doubt it’s anything too dramatic and certainly sounds electrical - what coolant temp is your display showing when light illuminated?  I’m assuming it’s still under warranty and breakdown cover - I would be at the door of your local dealer and politely point out that you are going to drink all their coffee until they have looked at it !!  I’m lucky that my dealer is spot on and always seems to prioritise warranty work.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I’ve had the same experience as bigorangecntry07.  Always in cool or cold temperatures.  I asked a Yamaha tech and he said it’s likely oil temp/viscosity related.  

Have the bike checked out if you are uncomfortable.

• Thumbsup 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Thanks a lot guys. It is very strange. And it has not done it since I asked about it. Hahahaha

The oil looks like it is on the very top line in the sight glass, and as it has only happened first

thing in the morning the temperature is not even up to normal........ but all looks ok now !!!!!

If it happens again I will put a 1/4 pint of oil in !!!!!!!!!! and if it still did it straight round to the 

Dealer.  Thanks again.

Don't put in more oil than is required. Otherwise you will have unnecessary pressure and oil will be spit out into the airbox.

After a change of oil and oil filter you need to run the engine for a few minutes (and then wait for a couple of minutes to allow the oil to settle) before you check the sight glass. This for two reasons: the oil needs to be warm ( as it expands when warm) and also because the new oil filter will 'consume' some oil.

Another point: see that the oil you are using is suitable for the ambient temperature you are in. In a cold country, 10W-30 oil would be much better than, for example, 20W-50 oil

Edited by Pupsi
To be clearer
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, edgarjessop12 said:

Thanks a lot guys. It is very strange. And it has not done it since I asked about it. Hahahaha

The oil looks like it is on the very top line in the sight glass, and as it has only happened first

thing in the morning the temperature is not even up to normal........ but all looks ok now !!!!!

If it happens again I will put a 1/4 pint of oil in !!!!!!!!!! and if it still did it straight round to the 

Dealer.  Thanks again.

Do you get your bike up to operating temperature before riding? Or just start it and go?  

I start mine and let it run while putting on jacket, ear plugs, helmet and gloves. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***