NEW GT IN AUSTRALIA...

The following paras in italics were posted a day ago as I was considering a new GT, but having lots of difficulty actually getting to see one.

Having had an overnight think I've contacted the dealer to get a no-frills price for cash, no trade-in.   I can take the floor model if I wish in a day or so after paperwork is completed.   Intend next week to call into another dealership I have bought from before to get his best price (weekend here at present), and will then decide.   The inefficiencies, attempted deception, and outright lies from some Yamaha dealers I contacted are breathtaking!

Finally saw a Tracer 900 GT in the flesh after a 70km there (and 70km back) trip out to a dealer I was assured had one in stock.  He did!

The bike was the black variant with blurple wheel rims and a matching lightning flash on the tank.   I don't mind it at all, although it wouldn't be my first choice of the three colour options I've seen pix of.   But that alone wouldn't deter me from ownership, and in any case thus far it's the only colour option available here in Oz.

Anyone even vaguely familiar with a Gen 1 Tracer would have easily picked it out, for superficially very little has changed.

Close up, the extended rear swing-arm hides its extra length very well, while the new seats are much more attractive than the original torture implements.   The covers appear to be made of much more substantial textured material, with nice contrast stitching.  Sitting on it - though no substitute for riding of course - I was distinctly aware that the seat seemed very much firmer than the original.   It might be the solution...

'Bars are a bit cluttered to make way for the new cruise-control - err, controls - and some of the switch-gear seemed more substantial, while the hazard warning light switch is now on the lhs.   The new TFT display screen is smaller, neater, but the ungainly-looking device above it that allows one-handed on-the-bike movement of the screen looks a bit bulky.   Windscreen appeared to be more shapely.

Tyres are still Dunlop D222s, but to my eye the stipes on them appeared deeper and more 'aggressive' than I'd recalled.

Hard panniers are, regrettably, unpainted, unlike on other markets, a cheapskate effort on Yamaha's part IMHO.  The sales guy initially told me that the panniers were soft bags until I sent him to check.   Doh!

I quite like the new front-end treatment, noting that the two faux inlets on either side of the tank are still there, while the bug-trap honeycomb has gone: pity that, as I liked all the OE's interesting original surface treatments including the faux carbon inserts.   The paintwork finish seemed deeper and more lustrous than on earlier models too, compared to the anorexic paintwork previously found on early models.   I also liked the light silver paintwork on the two side fairings and two small horizontal panels further back - they visually lifted the whole plot.   The gloss painted front fender also added to the finished appeal.

A big let-down, however, was the quoted out-the-door price of around AUD$19,500 to $20,000.   Admittedly, that was the starting price before serious haggling, but it's at least AUD$4,500 to $5,000 more expensive than the original four years ago.   I recall paying AUD$15,3000 for my 2014 way back, and under $15,000 for a later model.  At those early prices, and given that hard panniers were included, the Gen 1 Tracers represented serious value for money (despite which they didn't sell!) but the new pricing, if the above is anything to go by, simply brings the GT back to the pack.

Would I buy one?

Stay tuned for progress reports!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

6 hours ago, StealthAu said:

For $20k you can get a multistrada 950.

If $20K is the best any dealer can do for the new GT, it's all off!   Undoubted 'pride of ownership' with any Ducati, I'm sure, but I don't care for the looks of the 950 - to my eye it's much too much like an off-roader.   But thanks anyway - gotta consider all options!

Cast alloy wheels, Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tyres and 170mm of travel means the Multistrada 950 is good for dirt road touring as well as tarmac. Roomy ergonomics make mile-munching a pleasure.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

4 hours ago, wordsmith said:

If $20K is the best any dealer can do for the new GT, it's all off!   Undoubted 'pride of ownership' with any Ducati, I'm sure, but I don't care for the looks of the 950 - to my eye it's much too much like an off-roader.   But thanks anyway - gotta consider all options!

Cast alloy wheels, Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tyres and 170mm of travel means the Multistrada 950 is good for dirt road touring as well as tarmac. Roomy ergonomics make mile-munching a pleasure.

The multi is a better bike. Better suspension, brakes. Traction control, abs. Quality of controls and all the little things. Even tyres.

If you have a dealer local to you, I'd test ride one.

But I was more so pointing out, that isn't a realistic price point for a gt.

The gt doesn't stack up to the competition at that price.

I don't know what the exchange rate is between Aussie money and the dollar, but the GT has been selling for around $11,500 to $11,700.  

The Multistrada is more bike than the Tracer GT for sure, but on the road the GT is all I will ever need, about $7000 dollars cheaper and far better reliability.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I think if you look at overall cost of longterm ownership the Duck will be  A LOT more expensive than a GT.

Valves, belts, it never ends!! (assuming you can find someone to wrench in Italian:)

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

35 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

I don't know what the exchange rate is between Aussie money and the dollar, but the GT has been selling for around $11,500 to $11,700.  

At today's exchange rate, USD$11,000 = AUD$16,590.   USD$11,700 = AUD$16,900.   AUD$18,000 = USD$12,477.   It's very early days yet for the GT here in Oz, so I imagine the factory has optimistically set the price 'up there'.   

First Gen Tracers here had an RRP of $16,500, but were immediately available at a thousand or more less (that's with 12 months registration cost for a new m/c here).

I reckon that $18,000 is about right: unfortunately the pretty keen new prices for the early Tracers set the pattern of experience in would-be buyers, who now expect similarly low pricing for the GT   We shall see!   

But even if Yamaha gives them away, I doubt we'll see many on the road: Gen 1 Tracers are rarer than hen's teeth here and have been ever since the launch way back.   This has always baffled me, for the bike is good - albeit with a few flaws, like any other machine - and offered exceptional value for money IMHO.

1 hour ago, nhchris said:

I think if you look at overall cost of longterm ownership the Duck will be  A LOT more expensive than a GT.

Valves, belts, it never ends!! (assuming you can find someone to wrench in Italian:)

It's 24,000km between belt change and valve clearance. They have come a long way.

But again, what I was trying to point out is that if Yamaha are pricing the GT at the same point as the Multi 950 in any given market, they are having a laugh. You look at the components that go into each bike, the GT is cheaper. 

I paid $16,500 AUD for my GT, at which point it is good value. At $20k, there are a lot of other bikes I would be looking at first.

1 hour ago, StealthAu said:

I paid $16,500 AUD for my GT, at which point it is good value. 

Please pop in to your local Yamaha dealer for me, stealthy, and if they have a  new one on the floor for $16,500 I'll fly up immediately and ride it home.   Or pay for it to be shipped to me in Brisbane.

No such luck mate, it was an 18 plated with 100km on it. they had it on the floor a while and wanted to move it. I can't see them putting another in stock to repeat the process. 

If you have time, you have an advantage. These aren't flying out of dealers, if there is stock at $20k out the door today, it'll be there a while and come down in price before it moves. 

15 minutes ago, StealthAu said:

No such luck mate, it was an 18 plated with 100km on it. they had it on the floor a while and wanted to move it. I can't see them putting another in stock to repeat the process. 

If you have time, you have an advantage. These aren't flying out of dealers, if there is stock at $20k out the door today, it'll be there a while and come down in price before it moves. 

Thanks - it was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion!   You are quite right, time and lack of demand will adjust the prices.   I'm at a little over $18K at present, with 'wriggle room', and will be at another dealership on Tues to pursue further.   But must check that 'mine' as quoted is in fact a 2019...

14 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Thanks - it was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion!   You are quite right, time and lack of demand will adjust the prices.   I'm at a little over $18K at present, with 'wriggle room', and will be at another dealership on Tues to pursue further.   But must check that 'mine' as quoted is in fact a 2019...

18, 19, the only difference is what is stamped on the plate. The only benefit for buying a 19 is if you turn around and sell it in 12 months or less. If you can find an 18 plated, you should be able to get the price down to realistic. 

Edited by StealthAu
  • Thumbsup 1