NEW GT IN AUSTRALIA...

Order placed today for new 01/19 GT, deposit to be paid and paperwork done tomorrow, then I'll get it insured, and should be able to pick it up early next week.   I'm paying <$18,000, which I feel is about right.   I cannot be bothered to visit every dealership around and listen to their lies and bullshit - more than you'd find in a good-sized cattle feed-lot - and the guy I'm dealing with seems OK in a rare family-owned dealership, so off we go.

No rush to get the bike immediately as it's cold and wet with more of the same forecast! 

I had a bit of 'sticker-shock' when I came to get quotes for the insurance.   Talking to QBE, whom I've used for years and for many bikes, plus family cars, the cost is $215 more expensive than for my last Gen 1 Tracer.   For comparison - Tracer $365 for insured value of $11,000: GT $580 for insured value of $18,000.   I may have to grin and bear it...

I've started the farkle-planning already, and will be buying a pair of the the 'swoosh-style' burple stickers that appear on each sides of the tank, and will apply them to the pannier lids once they're painted in gloss black.   That should give a neat and discreet matching finish - I've never been a fan of bullet holes, swastikas, near-nude bathing belles as on WWII military aircraft, or lightning flashes.

Then Grip Puppies; Stebel Magnum horn; front DRLs: rear flashing/ pulsing SKENE-style brake LEDs; rear luggage-rack; FJ-style rubber-topped footpegs; inexpensive 30L top-box.   I'm hoping that the new seat on the GT won't need to be replaced as on all my earlier Tracers!   

Stay tuned for first impressions... I'm keen to experience the cruise-control, as I had that feature on my last two BMWs, and it was intuitively easy to use and pretty nice-to-have.   Less sure about the quick-shift, however...

2018_mt-09tragt_smx_au_stu_001_800x600.ashx

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 4

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

On 6/25/2019 at 9:18 AM, wordsmith said:

Order placed today for new 01/19 GT, deposit to be paid and paperwork done tomorrow..

Congratulations. Although I must confess I feel like Ripley waking up after 57 years drifting through the core systems. Didn't you just buy a brand new 2015 red Tracer? What have I missed?

CS

Edited by captainscarlet
  • Haha 1

Not to be too precious about it, CS, I change bikes like some folks change their underpants!   I sold the red 2015 a cuppla weeks ago and have now this GT on order.   I enjoy tinkering and farkling almost as much as riding, and the empty motorbike-shaped space in my garage when bikeless hurts.   And I am truly blessed with some disposable income - which I have been disposing of - and an extremely supportive wife, ex-bikeress herself, for she know where I come from in this.

BTW - the Lava Red that I sold is a very rare colour here.   Most of the on-line ads for Tracers show the North Atlantic Shipping Container Dull Matte Grey (Gray) Primer Undercoat colour - mine stood out and could have been sold half-a-dozen times over, luckily.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

3 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Not to be too precious about it, CS, I change bikes like some folks change their underpants! 

Haha! I don't change my pants....sorry bike as frequently as you, although so far it has been about once every two years on average.

The Tracer is the bike I've kept the longest at 4.5 years. However I have this nagging itch to change to a KTM.

I'm also with you on the tinkering side of things. It's the only upside of the long Swedish winter; plenty of time for fiddling.

CS

Egads, I had you pegged as a Nikken early adaptor Wordy!

But, now you can join the chorus on suspension, oil filters, throttle snap, ECU tweaking, tire pressures and the like.

Oh wait... you're already a member in good standing of that chorus!

Best of luck with the new girl mate!;)

• Thanks 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Here's a slightly less 'posed' pic: note the unpainted pannier lids, unlike on other markets.   Boo to Yamaha for this...

181011_AMCN_BOTY2018_0767.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

REAR LUGGAGE RACK FOR GT

Does anyone here know where I can find a rear rack for my new GT, like the pic below.   I had this before and it was excellent and affordable, but more than likely will not fit the GT.   TIA...   The bottom pic is Yamaha's rear rack, which replaces the OE pillion grips, but is eye-wateringly expensive!

s-l1600.jpg

0?ui=2&ik=5c622e6436&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1637544149482846638&th=16b9b9ba55f1b9ae&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-m6-K9QhghnR4FdfvaCEWcE4p9KpTPqzBDP1CaFtmz0DQ6k5m4l0TqhaUkxQgkLYHch57PZg5XG6Xdht4CO7lGq9Ob-wto7RLQvoYcOp_oeyHHChqoHT6ov2A&disp=emb

Edited by wordsmith

Wednesday June 26th 2019.   Did all the paperwork this afternoon in double-quick time, the Sales Manager obviously picking-up the vibe that I am a no-nonsense let's-get-on-with-it sort of a Bloke.   Or as my wife might say (and often does!) - "impatient".

Pick-up next Tuesday, subject to the weather - I'm not riding a bike on brand-new tyres 70km home if it's raining like today!

Had a bonus: the dealer mentioned insurance, so - although I've had a long and good relationship (no claims, ever) with QBE - I agreed to him giving me a quote with Yamaha Motor Insurance.   Turned out to be $101 cheaper than QBE, with identical terms such as excess, etc.   So YMI now has my insurance biz too!

Edited by wordsmith

20 hours ago, nhchris said:

But, now you can join the chorus on suspension, oil filters, throttle snap, ECU tweaking, tire pressures and the like.

And oils??

Picked-up the new GT yesterday, and thus far only the ~70km ride home to show for it.   My lovely wife - eyeballing it in the garage at home - reckons "it's a pretty bike".   Doh!

It's lovely to have a brand-new bike under one, almost irrespective of what bike it is.   Almost everything felt very much like my previous Tracers, and I was immediately at-home.

Hoping for fine winter weather this weekend to allow me to get out for at least a cuppla hundred kilometres, after which I'll post some words of early impressions.

P1050502.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Congratulations on the new ride!!  Initially, I didn't find the blurple wheels too appealing but the profile shot you posted above is a very nice looking bike.

Looking forward to your first ride impressions and comparison to your previous 3 FJ's.  When the GT was released here a year ago, I poured over every detail at the dealer in a side by side comparison and it seemed like almost everything had been updated or refined into a very nice package.  If I didn't already have my FJ modified to GT spec I would surely have bought one.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

23 minutes ago, betoney said:

Congratulations on the new ride!!  Initially, I didn't find the blurple wheels too appealing but the profile shot you posted above is a very nice looking bike.

Looking forward to your first ride impressions and comparison to your previous 3 FJ's.  When the GT was released here a year ago, I poured over every detail at the dealer in a side by side comparison and it seemed like almost everything had been updated or refined into a very nice package.  If I didn't already have my FJ modified to GT spec I would surely have bought one.

Thanks, betoney.   I, too, wasn't entirely smitten at first glance by the 'blurple' wheels, being a pretty conservative old Bloke, but as this is the only colour available here I had no choice - and I now quite like the overall look.   Maybe I was unconsciously seeking affirmation, but I now recall that the school colours at my Grammar school in London were purple, black, and white.   They were not altogether happy days, but I survived!   More later... unfortunately rain is forecast until next Monday (today is Wed) and I don't plan to be out in it with brand-new tyres.   Bummer!

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Glad to see you picked up your GT Wordsmith, she is looking good! I like the matt black case lids better than the gloss black ones on mine. Looking forward to seeing how you farkel out your GT. Enjoy! 

He who dies with the most toys wins.