Lexol, Toothpaste and White Leather Cleanup

superfist

• Premium Member

So, I purchased my Alpinestars leather jacket on clearance at Cycle gear about 3 years ago.  It had obviously been in stock for a while since the leather was slightly yellowed and dusty in appearance.  The leather was showing signs of drying, so I purchased the Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner.

This worked well to restore the suppleness and flexibility of the leather, but didn't do anything for the off-white.  I'd clean and condition it about every 6 months or so, but the white just got worse over time.

So here, the Arm and Hammer toothpaste with peroxide and baking soda made all the difference for a deep clean that's whiter than when I purchased it!  A scotch brite strip did the scrubbing and the toothbrush got into the crevices.

qVR4SOz.thumb.jpg.1e4133f55e98d0c5dd778d362b9c0099.jpg

So, a little water and toothpaste with the scotchbrite pad did the initial scrubbing (most of the way back to white).  Where it was immediately wiped back clean with the (now dirty) washcloth on the left.

Then it was cleaned with the Lexol cleaner, which did suprisingly better after everything was loosened up.  I also used it to make sure any toothpaste residue was cleaned up.  That got wiped away with the middle washcloth.

Then I used the washcloth on the right to wipe the whole jacket down before hanging it and using a 4th washcloth to apply the conditioner.  I'm happy with the results and here's some in progress and final shot of the cleaned jacket below.

S1L024g.thumb.jpg.9a0f8fd1e76fa37c9543f131bd083426.jpg

JShZDUK.thumb.jpg.70d376091ca4506f7e8f2de7681e6697.jpg

CcDtNiu.thumb.jpg.ba797011fa1db1c7d03b5502ddd7ff86.jpg

(Yes... a mouse got to the collar over the winter.  The mouse is now deceased.)

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
17 hours ago, countersteer said:

Nice refreshing of your gear.

Did you blindfold the mouse before his/her just reward?

Lol.  A firing squad would have been fitting!   It did get a taste of peanut butter for a last meal.