Go North Old Man

Larz

With a little over 1200 miles on the clock, I took my first big trip on the GT:  Phoenix area to Couer d' Alene Idaho and back, 3384 total trip miles; 3 days each way with 3 days up there visiting family and some local riding.

Left on a Wednesday morning with a late start, so of course buried in traffic on I- 17 in already 90' +temps until out of the valley climbing up to Flagstaff- the GT in sport mode flexing some serious muscle for passing while climbing a decent grade.

Hauling ass up US-89 thru Page and Kanab, up into Utah to hwy 20 and out to I-15. Baling for the night at Fillmore ( delightful little town where the Burger King and Costa Vida close at 9pm sharp). Slogging up I-15 in the morning thru Salt Lake. Into Idaho turned at Blackfoot onto US 26 towards Atomic City, trying to dodge the immense storm cells making their way across the valley. 

It was getting pretty wet by the time I made US 93, pulled over after a bit to put her in rain mode. Glad I did as I got caught in a hard cloudburst while descending the small pass before Challis. Stayed at the "biker friendly" Village Inn, where the cafe stays open till 10. 

A perfect blue sky morning, mid 50's so the Gerbing gets plugged in. I tear up US 93 towards Montana in 3rd gear with the RPM bar in the orange, too much fun.Gassing up in Hamilton Mt, I calculate my fuel consumption for that dance: 35.8 MPG

Making Lolo Mt I turned back towards Idaho onto US 12: Lolo Pass freshly paved this year with much of the rest of 12  having been repaved in the last few years its back to being an epic ride worthy of its reputation. Stopped to visit an old friend in Juliaetta,Id :Canyon country. His place sits on a 35' slope with a gravel driveway. Never dropped my Dyna parking there; was doing ok with the GT until I put  the kickstand down and it sank into the gravel. Some pretty deep scratches on the left sidecase.

Up hwy 3 to Hwy 99 and out to US 95 and up to Couer d' Alene.

Pressed for time on the way back, I ran I-90 to Missoula and back over to US 93 and the Village Inn at Challis. Down I-15 bucking a strong headwind the entire time, pretty much the length of Utah, to my daughter's place in La Verkin the next day. They live on a small farm with an old fruit orchard where I tented out. Rode the GT around in the tall grass and rutted dirt road no problem.

East on hwy 59 and 389 thru Colorado city and Kaibab out to US 89 again and Page, Flagstaff, home.

Awesome trip, the GT outperforming my expectations in terms of power, handling and comfort.

p93b.thumb.jpg.9a9054ecc3574230aed771f60b1404d9.jpgsawthmac.thumb.jpg.2427baff2e2532d9a8d28b044dae301a.jpglostrail.thumb.jpg.2bbe52e581b6fb34e511278c866f796c.jpg93.thumb.jpg.f04a6028e486866fd78c04d801959983.jpgariz.thumb.jpg.aa757ce5be9ba53a0143dc4957291272.jpgmorm.thumb.jpg.389a1d62121c19ff1bac09f41b4ff2b8.jpg I-15 the next morning

• Thumbsup 6

• Supporting Member

@Larz - Sounds like a great trip (minus the interstate riding). Idaho has some great riding, and you are right about Lolo Pass, I rode it last summer when half of it had been repaved, what a fantastic ride. 😎

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Nice write up.  All roads I am familiar with except I-15 😉.  For some reason all your pictures look funny, as though the Tracer was photo shopped into the background.  Are you playing with the colors?  Maybe it is because the Tracer doesn't have any badges and doesn't know where it stands?  😎  Sorry about the drop, maybe a bigger foot would help.   Liked the Story.

• Thumbsup 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

7 hours ago, redfjniner said:

Nice write up.  All roads I am familiar with except I-15 😉.  For some reason all your pictures look funny, as though the Tracer was photo shopped into the background.  Are you playing with the colors?  Maybe it is because the Tracer doesn't have any badges and doesn't know where it stands?  😎  Sorry about the drop, maybe a bigger foot would help.   Liked the Story.

yeah I always edit my phone pics for color and pop ( if they were photo shopped they'd be much more exciting pics,eh). Blame the lack of badges on the "goo gone" thread ( but they were rather cheesy looking. Lucky you for not experiencing I-15 ;>)

Edited by Larz

11 hours ago, betoney said:

@Larz - Sounds like a great trip (minus the interstate riding). Idaho has some great riding, and you are right about Lolo Pass, I rode it last summer when half of it had been repaved, what a fantastic ride. 😎

Interstate just makes you appreciate the good roads more. Yeah, hwy 12 was the pinnacle of the fun, fastest I've ever ridden it, but well within my comfort zone on the GT.

• Thumbsup 1