Numb Fingers sore left elbo HELP :( lol ( New Rider )

So i passed my test around a month ago but i have rode bikes before so my first bike was the ducati multistrada 1200s and my last ride was 300 miles around 2 weeks ago and my index finger on my left hand is numb still now doesnt feel like my finger.

So anyways sold that and bought a Tracer 900 GT 2018/19 iv come back from a ride of 100miles and my finger is numb but worse also the finger next to it and a little in my thumb. My Right hand now and again goes numb but when i take my hand off drop it down lift it back to the grip it feels fine

Left elbo also has a pain in it i have had my bike setup few days ago with correct lever heights etc and its still causing me some pain problems to the point i want to trade it in.

Anyone know a fix for this or can explain why the problem is happening.

PS the seat also kills my butt after 45 minutes of riding ( stock & heated comfort ) tried them both.

• Premium Member

Some bikes just don't fit some people, but what you mention seems extreme to me.  Do you have arthritis?  or other medical problems?  I had surgery on my left wrist and (I have three bikes) different bikes give me different "problems" on my wrist, but nothing like what you mentioned.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Ergonomics?

May help if we knew your normal riding stance.  For me it's a slight forward lean,  arms fairly straight and close to parallel to ground.  I kept factory config for handlebars. Yours may need some adjustment. 

I learned how much of a difference proper body position can make on my first bike. Handlebars were way forward and high, on a cruiser. My arms would go to sleep over long periods and lower back sore from leaning so far forward. I got new risers and brought the bars closer to me and lower, allowing a more natural relaxed position. Arms and back were good but playing with lever positions eventually made hand pain go away as well. All my pain and suffering from bad position went away by making small adjustments,  you'd be surprised how much a 1/4" adjustment can make over a long period,  especially if you ride a lot and you force your self to "deal with it" 

I'm 5'5", 28"inseam 150 lbs

42 years old with back problems so a fairly upstanding back position is important to me,  especially since I don't have a car, the bike is my daily driver.  Of course this effects my hand,  arm and leg positions. 

Edited by Bimbim18

I reckon you might be gripping the bars too tight too. I had a similar thing when i first started. My little finger was numb for a good few weeks, I think through gripping too tight i damaged a nerve. Since I've now got more experience and I've learned to lightly grip the bars i've had no problems since.

AS @runnerhiker said your symptoms seems extreme since you are saying they have lasted a week after you got off the bike. 

In terms of riding your grip on the handlebars should be tight enough to react but fairly loose, wrists should be straight with elbows and against fairly loose. Elbows should NOT be locked. 

Grip puppies are cheap and great for reducing the vibration coming through the handlebars so it might be a good place to start.

I've mentioned it before but Motorcycle Consumer News used to have some great articles by a doctor on numbness issues and they were often eye-opening with regard to how very small changes in head/neck angle and arm/wrist angle can have dramatic effects.

In addition to grip and any tension in the arms (you should be able flap your elbows like chicken wings) you might have someone take some photos of you from the side in riding position. Examine them to see if the angle between arms and wrists is natural. Bars and perches can be rotated to achieve more relaxed angles. 

Next head and neck. The reach to the bars might be causing your head and neck to be at a poor angle. This can induce numbness issues. Sometimes the angle can force the neck roll of the helmet to press down and that can contribute as well. You can spin the clamps to move the bars closer to you. Risers can achieve the same effect. 

Turbulence can also induce fatigue to the neck and in turn numbness and there are many variables with regard to rider trunk length, arm length, helmet profile, windscreen, bike aeros. Tougher to pin down. I'll often experiment on new bikes with no screen at all but usually end up trying to find a screen that allows as much air as possible without having to fight helmet turbulence with the muscles in my neck. 

In my case just spinning the clamps, plus 15mm risers, put me in a more relaxed riding position. I also trimmed nearly an inch from stock FJ bars and brought the controls closer together which relieved a bit of an ache between the shoulders. 

Edited by chitown
typos
  • Thumbsup 6

I doubt this is your issue, but if it is, it's an easy fix.  I have tingling/numbness issues when I wear a specific pair of mesh gloves and pull them on too tight.  They feel great at first (second skin), but it doesn't last.  Hope your problem is this simple

I have rukka and klim gloves i also got this problem from my last bike i think i have solved it

Issues hand cramp and numb fingers for weeks also high speeds front end  start of a tank slap effect started resulted in me gripping too tight and not sitting correctly powering on gripping with hands and not knees and leaning forwards

I also feel like i sit into the tank i have removed rubbers from front of seat to lean it back a little but still sit way to close if i try and sit back doesnt feel right. after 45 minutes my ass is numb if i stop or stand up pain goes away a little but makes riding not very enjoyable.