Goldwing to Tracer GT? (Long post)

On 8/13/2019 at 12:10 PM, Coop said:

....And don't believe anything the neighbor lady says.  It is sad when you are old enough to have to ask your 60 year old neighbor to help .....  She was up for it.

😏

• Haha 1

I came to the GT after 11 years on a Goldwing and I'll admit that I'm still trying to get used to it.  In fact, I'm not so sure I'm going to keep it.  The noise, seating position and seat are all factors in that decision.  I recently tested a Versys 1000 and found it much smoother than the GT but not as "flickable".   I love the serviceability and weight of the GT, and it doesn't take four hours to change the air filter.  I guess there are trade-offs.  You just have to make sure you can accept the cons with the pros.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, magnatic said:

I came to the GT after 11 years on a Goldwing and I'll admit that I'm still trying to get used to it.  In fact, I'm not so sure I'm going to keep it.  The noise, seating position and seat are all factors in that decision.  I recently tested a Versys 1000 and found it much smoother than the GT but not as "flickable".   I love the serviceability and weight of the GT, and it doesn't take four hours to change the air filter.  I guess there are trade-offs.  You just have to make sure you can accept the cons with the pros.  

Good luck working it out.  Decisions wouldn't be so hard if they were easy.  Is that a Yogi quote?    

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, magnatic said:

I recently tested a Versys 1000 and found it much smoother than the GT but not as "flickable".   I love the serviceability and weight of the GT, and it doesn't take four hours to change the air filter.  I guess there are trade-offs.

The Versys has a lot going for it and is a great bike but while it is very smooth, (to me) it lacks character.  You cant find a review on any of the CP3 variants where they don't universally praise the motor.

After owning an FJ for a few years, I recently saw a new Versys on the showroom floor, my very first reaction was "Damn, that bike is BIG".  I really appreciate its light weight and nimbleness of the FJ/Tracer. 

Of the 3 faults you listed with the Tracer, I think they can all be addressed much cheaper than dropping $17k on a new Versys.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

You make a valid point.  Like I wrote, I'm still trying to get used to the GT and that's for the same reasons I was attracted to it in the first place.   If I end up moving to a different bike,  it wouldn't be the Versys because IMHO, it's a larger version of the GT.  I'd probably go back to a Wing.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, magnatic said:

You make a valid point.  Like I wrote, I'm still trying to get used to the GT and that's for the same reasons I was attracted to it in the first place.   If I end up moving to a different bike,  it wouldn't be the Versys because IMHO, it's a larger version of the GT.  I'd probably go back to a Wing.

The new Goldwings are very nice bikes and much more nimble than the old generation. I do miss my 2010 wing and I might get a new generation one day but the 900 GT will stay in my the herd!

Edited by roadrash83
  • Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.