Problem with Yamaha Top case backrest pad

I got the backrest pad for the 39L Yamaha top case. It comes with 3 screws to attach the pad to the topcase. The screws go from the inside of the top case and screw into the back of the pad. After a couple of months the screws worked their way out of the foam pad and I was lucky not to lose the pad. This is a really poor design as the screws screw directly into the foam pad. The pad should come with some kind of insert to screw into rather than just the foam.

Has anyone else had this same problem and found a good solution? I'm tempted just to use gorilla glue on the whole surface of the pad.

I have had mine mounted for months, done long trips, have not had this issue yet. Maybe set the screws with a little glue? I had already decided to put silicone over them if there were any leaks after a hard rain, but so far, none. Sorry you had that. 

• Thumbsup 1

I can't seem to find my original install instructions but wondering if I missed something. The 3 screws do just go from the inside of the top box directly into the pad, right? The only thing I remember was something about a minimal torque setting for the screws. I was careful not to overtighten the screws. I even checked the tightness of the screws a while back to make sure they hadn't loosened and did tighten a couple of them.