Do Not Change D-mode While Vehicle is Moving?

I hope I'm not repeating something that's been discussed elsewhere, but the owner's manual says not to change modes while driving.  When I took my test drive I changed modes frequently while riding...didn't notice any problems with doing it on the move.  I am keeping my own bike in Standard mode until I get a few more miles on it (have 86 miles now!), but does anybody know why the manual would say that?

• Premium Member
The "do not change whilst moving" is a recommendation, which like you I have ignored as the ECU allows you to do so. Yamaha will make this recommendation as they seem to err on the side of caution with everything that is potentially a safety matter.

The manual goes on to say "the throttle grip must be completely closed in order to change D mode"

I can confirm this is the case. As the bike has a fly by wire throttle, the ECU will not switch modes until you close the throttle. So, in reality there is no real safety concern as you cannot switch mode whilst on the gas.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I was changing modes all day today while ripping around in the canyon from std. to A etc...no issues noticed.

If Yamaha knew that changing modes would cause issues with the bike...they would have made it like the TCS (Wheelie Button) where you have to be stopped to change the setting.

• Premium Member
You can always tell when an F-Jay rider switches modes. He slows down for a few seconds to roll off the throttle, then he takes off. Usually in A mode (at least I do).
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

This thing has a pretty twitchy throttle. If you try and change throttle mode while you have your hand still on the throttle, unsafe acceleration could ensue as you accidentally open the throttle to reach the mode switch with your thumb.

So "don't change throttle mode while moving" is one of those things that's good advice and everyone should follow it unless you know enough to know you don't actually need to follow it. :D

...but please do it safely. Right hand completely off the throttle before trying to hit the switch. Change on a nice safe straightaway. Don't try and use it like another gear setting.

you cannot change the D-Mode while moving without the clutch fully engaged. There would be no possible way to cause a sudden increase in acceleration. 
You would think that when pulling in the clutch you would roll off the throttle.

This is incorrect. The THROTTLE has to be closed.
Wessie mentioned it a few posts back
Clutch position doesn't matter. Try it and you'll see.

-Skip

Archived