Ride 24K on the OEM air filter...

Larz

If Yamaha says it's ok...  

15 members have voted

1. 1. I would run the oiled paper air filter for 24K

• Yes, it will filter better as it traps more dirt
    • Hell no, they only picked that mileage because it is such a PITA to get to the thing

Got back from my trip with about 4.6k on the odometer and the "barrel 10-40"  oil the shop put in my bike at the 600 mi service ( the last one they be doing for me :(

So of course, gotta change the oil and I'm thinking clean the air filter ( old habits). Have a service manual, but hadn't really looked through it too much yet, so didn't realize it was non-cleanable and supposed to be replaced at....24,000 miles-WTF? How big is the fukin' thing, I think to myself. 

Not being on budget at the moment, I look for the best washable oiled cotton filter- BMC, ok ( must be better than K&N, costs more, looks prettier).

Ah, the joy of routine maintenance on a Yamaha ( my ex had a Star 1100 for a bit- a joyful experience changing the oil filter). But stripping the plastic isn't that bad, even if the Italian dude in the Youtube vid didn't really show how to get those plastic quick connectors that hook the tank panel to the radiator loose ( screwdriver, half turn, WTF, oh well, Lowes had something close enough to work).

The filter did not look nearly as bad as I thought it would. It was dirty, but certainly not enough to affect performance, and it's dusty down here. Still, what would it look like 20,000 miles from now....I don't know and won't be finding out. 

filt.jpg

filt1.jpg

filt2.jpg

@roadrash83 good luck with that, it is oiled paper, not a synthetic dry media....

Being oiled paper, makes me think that might be the reason for the huge snorkel in the airbox. Wouldn't do well if it got wet, the snorkel is going to dump any water intruding into the airbox at the bottom, where there is a tiny drain hole; probably keep most of the filter dry.

• Supporting Member

I thought the filter was paper, have not had mine out yet. I have K&N filters on a couple of me bikes and I don't think the quality of the filters are what they use to be. Post up what you think of the BMC if you go that route.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

I replace the air filter once a year but no more than 6k miles (2 oil changes)...

All the high end filters such as KN, BMC is a waste of money ( approx $80 for filter, than $30 or so for recharging oils/cleaners,etc) when OEM is $20 or less and less hassle

If anything I want a Hordpower Airbox for the FJ-09 like the airbox for the FZ-07 😍-- you think a tuned/piped FJ-09 is fast- but a proper airbox(sans noise regs, etc) will let the little ole CP3 truly shine with huge mid-top end gain... 

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

I replace the air filter once a year but no more than 6k miles (2 oil changes)...

All the high end filters such as KN, BMC is a waste of money ( approx $80 for filter, than $30 or so for recharging oils/cleaners,etc) when OEM is $20 or less and less hassle

I have the reusable lifetime filters (K&N or GYTR) in my bike and truck and don't find them to be overpriced or a waste of money at all.  I think I paid $35 for the filter and $20 for the recharge kit (cleaner and oil) which has last me for a few years, cleaning a few times a year. 

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Like Yamaha says in the manuals, more frequent air filter service may be required if riding in unusually wet or dusty areas. I'm fine with the stock oil coated paper filter. Checked at 8, going to check again at 16 and probably replace because I do a lot of dusty riding. 

Not sure why 10w-40 barrel oil would be an issue. I'd ride it like I stole it. 

@norcal616 Sure, can't get more out of the engine than you put in and the stock air box is pretty restricted. Really wanted to cut the snorkel off the airbox, supposed to let it flow a little better- but I think the snorkel is there to deal with any water intrusion into the box and I do ride in the rain

@chitown day time temps over 100' with lows dipping into the upper 80s- sitting in traffic the bikes external therm reads 115-120 often enough: I want a synthetic 20-50 in the bike under those conditions. Running Castrol v-twin 20-50 right now, bike is really quiet running with that oil. Feel like the dealership should have put proper weight oil in the bike for current conditions given the $$$ charged ( they live here, what the hell?) Doesn't matter, just wanted them to do  first service for warranty. 

I feel better being be able to clean the filter every 4-8k depending how it looks. Paid $63 for a BMC filter- should work out, I plan on riding the bike as close to 100k as it will go, not that I'm really concerned about spending an extra $30 or so over the lifetime of the bike

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, Larz said:

@norcal616 Sure, can't get more out of the engine than you put in and the stock air box is pretty restricted. Really wanted to cut the snorkel off the airbox, supposed to let it flow a little better- but I think the snorkel is there to deal with any water intrusion into the box and I do ride in the rain.

I cut the snorkel off mine and fitted a K&N filter, also removed the section of foam from under the petrol tank, just in front of the airbox. I can’t honestly say that either of these made any noticeable difference. I wouldn’t worry about rain getting in there as the airbox entrance is at the top and under the tank. I didn’t even notice a drain hole for water ingress.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

12 minutes ago, BBB said:

I cut the snorkel off mine and fitted a K&N filter, also removed the section of foam from under the petrol tank, just in front of the airbox. I can’t honestly say that either of these made any noticeable difference. I wouldn’t worry about rain getting in there as the airbox entrance is at the top and under the tank. I didn’t even notice a drain hole for water ingress.

being in the UK, you must know about rain then : ) yeah on my GT there's a pinhole on the bottom left side, pretty sure it's a drain hole

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, BBB said:

I wouldn’t worry about rain getting in there as the airbox entrance is at the top and under the tank. I didn’t even notice a drain hole for water ingress.

Agreed, the way it is designed you would have to be practically under water to get any water in there.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 year later...

tempting to get either K&N or BMC, see the service manual, a bit more work needed to gain access to the Air Filter. 

Seat Removal, Tank Removal, ECU removal.... coming from a NOOB, it looks scientific complicated. appreciate any tips to be aware of certain parts to be extra careful. service manual was not really clear or maybe i did not catch what its trying to explain, especially on the tank removal, i dont see if any fuel hose to be disconnect as that could get messy if need to remove, coming from my noob diy. 

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, WKE002 said:

Seat Removal, Tank Removal, ECU removal.... coming from a NOOB, it looks scientific complicated. appreciate any tips to be aware of certain parts to be extra careful.

@keithu can help with the plastic bits, but yeah... seat, tank... fuel line coupling can be a bit of a pain. Unplug the ECU and open the air box. Do this on near empty tank... 🤔. Good luck.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif