Traction Control

Hi,  does anyone leave their traction control on 2 all the time, as it does not do anything unless you hit a patch of diesel

or something , or a thunderstorm happens. So there is no need to switch it off, plus it is already there should you need it.

Don't see the point of having a switch . The bike should just come with it on. Plus less electronics to go wrong. And the 

less switches the better.😀😁😂.

Cheers  Edgar Jessop. 

• Haha 1

It's pretty lame. Yamaha really need to spend some money on traction control and abs. 

The GT has 2 level traction control and off. The lowest level is excessively intrusive. 

I've got a 7 year old ducati streetfighter. 8 levels of traction control, with the lower three barely noticeable and allow wheelies. 

• Thumbsup 3

I often forget to turn it off when firing the bike up. Then I'll be riding along, want to throw the front wheel up and it wont allow it.

Was hoping with a flash I could default it off, sounds like that isn't an option.

However, I have found that if you hold the traction toggle up while turning the bike on, traction control is off.

So, if you wanted to, you could short the switch and effectively traction control would default off.

If you want it to default off, but still want the option to turn traction control on, shorting function could be wired to a secondary switch. 

• Thumbsup 1

51 minutes ago, StealthAu said:

I often forget to turn it off when firing the bike up. Then I'll be riding along, want to throw the front wheel up and it wont allow it.

Was hoping with a flash I could default it off, sounds like that isn't an option.

However, I have found that if you hold the traction toggle up while turning the bike on, traction control is off.

So, if you wanted to, you could short the switch and effectively traction control would default off.

If you want it to default off, but still want the option to turn traction control on, shorting function could be wired to a secondary switch. 

I do the same in holding the switch when starting it. I agree with the previous comments on this system in that it is a bit primitive compared to other bikes. Rode a KTM Super Duke GT and that system is so much more advanced. It would allow me to float the front wheel and gently set it down on its own. Try that on the Goo GT and it mostly just kills the power. Also, can change the KTM on the fly I believe.

StealthAu, keep us informed as to how your mod works out please.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, StealthAu said:

Just had an idea. 10 second time delay relay. 

I just ordered one of these, should result in default traction off, but able to turn it back on if wanted without extra switches being required.

Sounds interesting.  Let us know how it works for you.  👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 7/5/2019 at 1:42 AM, edgarjessop12 said:

Hi,  does anyone leave their traction control on 2 all the time, as it does not do anything unless you hit a patch of diesel

or something , or a thunderstorm happens. So there is no need to switch it off, plus it is already there should you need it.

Don't see the point of having a switch . The bike should just come with it on. Plus less electronics to go wrong. And the 

less switches the better.😀😁😂.

Cheers  Edgar Jessop. 

I have mine on 2 the whole time and never notice it. Mind you I am so green that i still go looking for the seatbelt when I jump on the bike 😏.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

I've been through the wiring schematics in the workshop manual.

The contacts in the switch are normally closed. There is a white/green wire coming from the switch to the ecu. Cut this wire and it'll default to no traction control. This is where I'll wire in the time delay relay. Open circuit for the first 10 seconds, closed circuit after that. 

• Thumbsup 1

And it’s the biggest button on the bars. A simple 1 button would have been suffice. Not that giant rocker switch. I finally put it on level 2 while going up the Snake 421 Saturday. Water so deep it ripped my feet off the pegs. 

• Thumbsup 1

On my 2017 TCS 1 allows power wheelies just fine. If you are very smooth with it you can clutch up a wheelie but most often the TCS will knock it down. 

TCS 2, on the other hand, is pretty much zero-tolerance on fun.

I leave it on 1 only because I can't be bothered to turn it off every time I start the bike and like I said, TCS 1 still allows plenty of fun.

• Thumbsup 2

+1 that the GT's TC is lame. In normal riding, TC1 seems fine, but that fact that it doesn't allow wheelies at all is stupid. I turn it off quite a bit just to have a little fun. 

Ducati's TC is pretty phenomenal (as is BMW's on the S1000RR). The GT doesn't need a full IMU-based setup, but c'mon give us on-the-fly adjustable, and maybe 3-5 modes.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I am recently troubled by the same issue. I want traction control to be off at startup. I do have the powervision 3 ECU flasher but there is no option to modify startup conditions of the traction control. Just wondering if anyone who has had their ECU flashed by sending it out to one of the pro tuners has had the option of traction control off at start up. Thanks!