• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Big luggage scratch!

So I put a big scratch on my right luggage case today.  ☹️.   Should I leave it there as a reminder not to do it again or are there easy touch up options?   Previous bike -- 4 years, 23,000 km and no marks whatsoever.  This bike -- 6 weeks, 1550 km and an ugly scratch!

36 minutes ago, Burley said:

So I put a big scratch on my right luggage case today.  ☹️.   Should I leave it there as a reminder not to do it again or are there easy touch up options?   Previous bike -- 4 years, 23,000 km and no marks whatsoever.  This bike -- 6 weeks, 1550 km and an ugly scratch!

As with any new bike - or car - the first scratch or dint hurts the most, after which some resignation of the inevitable sets-in!  Can you find a suitable decal or badge to put over it?

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

whatcha do bro? I've dropped my bike on both sides now ( i'm short and it's tall :(

scratched both sides- think i'm going to apply some flat black truck bed liner to the lower raised portion of each bag- some protection, and if I drop it again and mar the truck bed liner I will just re-apply another coat. Enough of that and it may get thick enough the bike will bounce back up off the ground into my hands, eh ;>)

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

No biggie.  A friend of mine dumped my GT on the asphalt on the right side.  Busted the turn signal and severely scratched up the right side case.  I bought everything I need to vinyl wrap both cases with 3M Di Noc carbon fiber.  I also replaced the turn signal.  In the meantime, I bought black gloss touch up paint at the local auto parts store.  After touching up the case, it didn't look so good .  At least I thought that way at first.  It really doesn't look all that bad and isn't all that noticeable unless you're looking for it.

I would touch it up with some black gloss paint and be done with it.  Only your pride is hurt.  That feeling goes away rather quickly.

Best of luck!

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks all.  Yes perhaps I'll just have to get used to it.  @Larz, I was turning around in too small of a space and backed into the front bumper on the Bronco shown in my profile pic.  Can't blame anyone but myself.  Maybe I'll just have to put 60,000 or 80,000 km on the bike so it matches the luggage!

• Thumbsup 2

The place where I park my bike is really close to a metal rack and my tool chest and have come so close a few times back it up and almost hitting the tool chest that I put foam strips on the sharp edges just in case.

I can see how easy it would be since the hard bags stick out. I would definitely try and touch it up myself or get it it fixed somewhere since the bike is so new.

Then there is one other option.  Take it to a body shop and get it repainted.  I had a  red  Corbin Smuggler from a 2005 ST1300 and the new bike was black.  It cost $40 dollars to get it painted.

As soon as I got bike I went to Halfords, other automotive stores are available in the US🙂 and bought a couple of bumper (fender ) rubber strips and put clear film on the top edge where boots scuff😉20181024_210813.thumb.jpg.eaf0a42507101810b2d3dd16a4fcb2dc.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

Nice, but if the bike falls over on asphalt, most of the damage is done near the bottom of the side case.  The rubber bumper wouldn't protect it at all.  Maybe a rubber bumper along the bottom of the case would help some.

• Thumbsup 1

@fjrpittsburgh that is the black : ), just the lighting and contrast with the gloss black; it does look matte black in person. Time will tell how tough the stuff is, went on like Plasti-dip, but is curing harder. Speaking of Plasti-dip, it comes in all sorts of colors with mettalizers and glossers and such. One could use that on the sidecases or some of the removal body panels- got a can in a blue that is really close to the GTs wheels- contemplating doing the tank panels and the pods in it on my bike....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

@fjrpittsburgh that is the black : ), just the lighting and contrast with the gloss black; it does look matte black in person. Time will tell how tough the stuff is, went on like Plasti-dip, but is curing harder. Speaking of Plasti-dip, it comes in all sorts of colors with mettalizers and glossers and such. One could use that on the sidecases or some of the removal body panels- got a can in a blue that is really close to the GTs wheels- contemplating doing the tank panels and the pods in it on my bike....

Thanks  @Larz  I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  Good work!

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

Nice, but if the bike falls over on asphalt, most of the damage is done near the bottom of the side case.  The rubber bumper wouldn't protect it at all.  Maybe a rubber bumper along the bottom of the case would help some.

I put it on the widest part so hopefully I won`t scratch it on a gate post or such, if the bike falls over I will have other things to worry about😅

• Like 1