Bikes in HOV

hammer

Hey Gang,

Just a quick FYI:

I heard the rumours, so I called the OPP and confirmed on the MTO site...

Motorcycles ARE allowed in the HOV lanes regardless of the number of people. So single riders are good to pass all the cages stuck in a traffic jam.

I don't have the link right now, but you can confirm for yourself on the MTO website.

Happy motoring!

• Thumbsup 2
Cheers!

• 5 months later...
  • Supporting Member
On 7/6/2019 at 12:53 AM, hammer said:

Hey Gang,

Just a quick FYI:

I heard the rumours, so I called the OPP and confirmed on the MTO site...

Motorcycles ARE allowed in the HOV lanes regardless of the number of people. So single riders are good to pass all the cages stuck in a traffic jam.

I don't have the link right now, but you can confirm for yourself on the MTO website.

Happy motoring!

+1 in the DC Metro/Northern VA area.  Definitely comes in handy.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Premium Member

AFAIK it's a USA federal law that we're allowed in the HOV lane.

fl-miami-traffic-turnbell-122914-2014122

Michael Turnbell answers your transportation questions and brings you the...

Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use high occupancy vehicle lanes during restricted hours, even with only one passenger.

The rationale is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Have your situational awareness switched to full on mode in the HOV lanes, particularly in and around the Dallas, Texas area.  The HOV lanes accumulate all the debris and cars will jump in and out when traffic is stop and go...

Here's a couple tips I've learned over a lot of years and miles commuting in the HOV lane.

1. Ride in the tire track area...NOT the center of the lane.  The cage drivers are very cooperative in using their car tires to pick up all the metal debris they can get to.  However, they can't do much about the center of the lane.  You will however, do a service to all who follow you if you ride down the center of the lane because your soft sticky expensive motorcycle tires will pick up every nail, screw, cotter pin and piece of left over metal from the earlier traffic accident in your tires.
  2. Ride in the tire track nearest the main line of cars.  Why not hide over in the farthest tire track?  Riding next to the other cars allows you to be seen when someone checks their mirrors before pulling into the HOV lane.  Most vehicles are going to stay put, or they'd have already moved over.  So the reality of someone pulling in front of you are not as bad as the fear makes it seem.
  3. Don't tailgate.  Put 3-4 seconds between you and the car in front of you.  If you tailgate, and especially if you are over in the far tire track, you are hidden...until they move into your lane.  If it happens...you have only yourself to blame.  By hanging that far back, your bouncing headlight is easily visible to anyone who checks their mirror.  Chances are, they won't be able to tell how far back you are, and so will let you pass.

In over 160,000 miles of commuting on Seattle's I-5 corridor, I've hit my brakes hard maybe 5 times.

Chris

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

HOV lane is a dangerous place to be when all other lanes are at/near standstill. Motorists become super frustrated in heavy traffic, and some will peel into the HOV lane in desperation. A woman from our local riding group was killed, when she struck a vehicle that entered the HOV from a near standstill traffic. HOV lanes are great... just have to be extra cautious when blowing past everyone else.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif