Length of ownership

• Premium Member

I realize that many will not be accounted for in this query, as those who have left the fold won't respond, but I'm interested.  How long have you been in the FJ-09/Tracer fold?

I ask because I am going on 5 years, a record for me.  Prior to the FJ, there were several bikes in the paddock, rarely staying more than 2 years each.

Today, the FJ is the only one.  Still very happy with the bike.  How many others share this long-term attachment to this great motorcycle?

If I may, I can respond to this in a different way, for I'm now a week into my fifth (5) Tracer (GT this time) since I bought the first in early 2015.   Hated the first - too 'raw' and primitive for me - back to BMW, then the need for lighter, lower, more 'fun' re-entered my list of demands, then a couple more BMWs, a GS LC quickly swapped for a Roadster LC, then... you get the picture.... 

Matte Grey, Matte Grey, Dark Blue with Gunmetal tank, then a very rare in Oz new 2015 Lava Red in Dec last year.   I think it's telling that I keep returning to the Tracer and in fact haven't, since my first acquaintance with one, looked seriously at an alternative. 

Two things in particular that have kept me engaged, apart from the Tracer itself, are (a) the vast amount of knowledge and information and help on this most excellent Forum, and (b) the ever-growing list of aftermarket items available on-line, all at costs that make BMW's prices seem extortionate.   Plus - of course - the underlying character of the bike itself and that very special CP3 engine.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 3

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Going on 2 years after a 30 year break. Last bike was an 86 Yamaha FZ600.

I'm always looking. I'd like something with a little more forgiving suspension.

To "upgrade" would be more than double the cost of the FJ. And that's just the beginning. Thinking BMW XR1000 and Ducati Multistrada.

I've ridden a few different bikes. I like the FJ. The engine has a lot of fun power. Had some service done at the dealer and the price was reasonable. It's a keeper.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fr8dog said:

I'm always looking. I'd like something with a little more forgiving suspension.

Completely transforming this bike with a suspension upgrade is a very easy fix with many options available.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Not including my dirt bike from 2012- I still own my 4yr old 2015 HP-07( FZ/MT-07 w/ Hordpower airbox)- it's status is backup/loaner bike- but within the first 18months I started looking into a bigger bike that wasn't a 4cylinder... All 4cylinder bikes I have own have died/sold/traded within 18months... 

Enter the FJ-09 which has been my go to bike since 2016- it's gonna be around for a long time as I got plans for it next years winter😊... 

This little CP3 motor is a paradox... It's a little ole 840cc bruiser that can spin like a 600cc, has TQ like a twin but has liter bike power... 

Maybe in 2022? I will trade in my dirt bike and HP-07 for the Yamaha T7 as my FJ-09 won't be quite as easy to use on the streets after I transform it... 

I never cared for Kawasaki, Ducati, BMW(a 1/4 mile built s1000RR is one that's tugs at the soul, so it's excluded from being roped in with "BMW"), HD or KTM- riden plenty of them but they never really reached out to my soul looks wise/performance/how it feels/behaves...

Edited by norcal616
  • Thumbsup 2
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

3 1/2 years and counting... I've had other bikes for 3 years, but have put more miles on the FJ than the others by a decent margin.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member

I've had my 2015 FJ-09 for almost 3 years.  While it's not the longest owned motorcycle, I've put far more miles and fun on it in the last couple years than any other.  I test ride other motorcycles anytime I get a chance or a demo truck is in town and the only other motorcycles I've seriously considered trading for so far is a Triumph Street Triple 765 RS, but I can't justify the price when the CP3 engine is 90% of the way there.

While my feelings on the FJ-09 go Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde every few months, this forum and owners community has been an amazing part of the ownership experience.  Seriously, I appreciate the people here.  I go browse other forums and it either feels like a bunch of old guys that froth at the mouth to argue about mundane/inane/asinine little points on some esoteric motorcycle topic or like the community never checks the board except when they have an issue/question.  I can only imagine that the mods here that keep engagement high and trash out is a big part of that.

• Thumbsup 4

Wanted an FJ-09 badly when they first became available. Held off until fall of 2015 for a used one but the only ones that came up for the right price were snapped up quickly so decided to eat the depreciation. Generally keep bikes 5+ years and usually have multiple.  Will be four years with the '15 in the fall. Believe it is bike number 16 for me. Other than windscreen and some protection rode it stock for a year before putting any serious money into it. By then knew it was a keeper so invested in suspension. It's a fabulous, fun, do it all bike with the best legroom ever. Still have an 05 FJR  picked up used for a song and will probably keep forever. It's a bullet proof beast that came with great suspension upgrades. Also fun to ride (just not to push).

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Bought my FJ09 in October 2015, 30K miles later, and haven't found anything I would trade it for yet.

Most of my riding buddies own either BMW's or Harley's. While I'm often tempted by some of the newer features they have on their bikes,  the combination of price/features in the FJ-09 is hard to beat. One thing I really like on the FJ-09, is that I can do all the repair/adjustment work myself. BMW in particular seems to require the dealer to do a lot of the work, at outrageous prices to boot.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, DavidS said:

Bought my FJ09 in October 2015, 30K miles later, and haven't found anything I would trade it for yet.

Most of my riding buddies own either BMW's or Harley's. While I'm often tempted by some of the newer features they have on their bikes,  the combination of price/features in the FJ-09 is hard to beat. One thing I really like on the FJ-09, is that I can do all the repair/adjustment work myself. BMW in particular seems to require the dealer to do a lot of the work, at outrageous prices to boot.

one of my buddies just bought a brand new BMW R1250 RT, and it was impressive with all the features crammed into that bike. But at north of 20K, it's a hard sell compared to the Tracer 900 @ 13K.

Maybe one day money won't be a factor and I can buy whatever (and how ever many) bikes I want.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Good responses all.

My FJ is pretty well farkled with the necessary improvements.  If I hadn't done so much to it, it's likely that I wouldn't have remained so satisfied with the bike.  Windshield, seat, suspension, exhaust and cruise control have all been added or changed.  Never wanted for more power or different fuel mapping, so no changes to the ECU.  Absolutely perfect for my needs.

I suppose that if I could change one more thing, it would be the chain drive, but it's not that big of a deal.  A worthwhile compromise.

37 minutes ago, builderbob said:

I suppose that if I could change one more thing, it would be the chain drive, but it's not that big of a deal.  A worthwhile compromise.

Ditto, in spades, bb!   Add belt-drive and this would be the perfect lightweight sports-tourer - but I know that the more 'sporty' among us would find that a huge turn-off.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.