Hi, my name is Jim and I have a motorcycle problem

jimf

Congats Jim.. i put deposit today and got amazing price too.. now have to wait two weeks. my Serial # is part of the recall likes. Stealer has 4 in stock and all part of recall. Was told they cannot deliver bikes till recall has been completed. - the kid feeling too.. ride safe.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
The Daytona is prepped for the trade-in, now all I have to do is wait until Tuesday. My excitement is palpable.

Unfortunately my wife (rather pointedly) reminded me that I had agreed to go visit her parents for Easter this weekend. I won't even get to do a break-in ride with friends for two weeks, although I think I might take one of those vacation days they owe me in the very near future.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Sigh. The dealer just dropped me a note to tell me my bike is part of the recall, and he's not yet sure when he can sell it to me. So close....
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Just missing one piece.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90380&g2_serialNumber=4

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Just missing one piece. 
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90380&g2_serialNumber=4

Similarly:
http://i.imgur.com/XbltUrM.jpg
I've had most of those parts for 3 months, the bike was ordered in October.I pick up the KTM 690 tomorrow! We're getting snow tonight.  >:D Trailer to the rescue.  :))
I've never before bought 2 new bikes in one year, but the FJ-09 was not really impulse buying. Last year I drooled over the FZ-09, but the fueling, soft suspension, small gas tank and lack of ABS kept me away. The FJ-09 solved all that, and more!
Had my second ride today on my FJ-09. That triple engine? I'll be in my bunk...

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
I pick up the KTM 690 tomorrow! We're getting snow tonight.!

You know the universe hates us, right?

Had my second ride today on my FJ-09. That triple engine? I'll be in my bunk...

My dealer has gone completely silent on me. That's probably not a good sign.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
It turns out the salesguy took a day off for Easter (how dare he!), so he wasn't so much silent as missing.

They tell me the part has already been ordered and is expected in within the next couple of days. They're going to try to get the bike assembled and ready for me by the end of the week.

As someone else mentioned in a different thread, the hard bags are on backorder. They're trying to get an estimate of how long that will be. Considering that my Daytona didn't have hard bags I can live with that for awhile, just gimme the bike please!

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Dropped by the dealer today to give them a big check and pick up the various accessories that have come in for the bike. They were literally assembling it while I was standing there. They tell me that they expect to have the recall parts in tomorrow or perhaps Thursday and the bike ready to pick up on Friday, and the hard bags and heated grips should show up within 3 weeks. That works, since my first extended trip is scheduled for mid-May.

Meanwhile I got the manual so I can learn about all the gizmos. Bikes got more complicated in the years since I last bought one, you know? There are enough buttons on the switchgear to keep George Jetson busy all day.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I swear, Yamaha, I will hunt your representative down and sit on him if you don't get my recall parts to the dealer soon. You don't want that. It's not right that others managed to order, receive and have the parts installed in the time frame I've been waiting to get the parts at all. Grr.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Pretty sure it will be faster to wait for the recall fix than to deal with CA->US paperwork. :-)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Sorry, Canada->US paperwork.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Just spoke with the dealer again. "Parts shipped on Wednesday. They should be in on Monday."

Does that mean I get have the bike maybe Tuesday? "Only" two weeks from the day I first tried to buy it, unluckily the very same day the recall stop-sale went into effect. I'm looking out the window at a perfect riding day....

Only time will tell. I'm sure that I'll look back at the two weeks of anticipation fondly when the FJ is 10 years old, but right now it's driving me completely insane.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
The dealer got the parts today and prioritized my fix. I picked up the bike this afternoon.

Ho boy is this a big change from the Daytona. The steering is so light. Love the motor. I can see why people think it's too quiet, too.

Wind noise with the stock screen is horrible for me, so loud at 40mph that I could barely hear the music in the helmet, which is ordinarily no problem at closer to 100. I have to stand up on the pegs to get quiet air. I put on the Ermax screen immediately when I got home, but unfortunately I decided to put on a bunch of other stuff too. While changing the brake lever, something I've done dozens of times on other bikes, the bolt jumped (jumped I say! Of its own accord!) and fell into the plastics.

I discovered that removing the plastics on the FJ is a piece of cake. I took practically everything off in only a few minutes. I never did find the bolt, unfortunately, but a handy 5mm bolt is doing the duty while a replacement comes from BikeBanditl. For awhile there I thought I'd have a brand new bike sitting idle in my garage for a week because I'm a fumble-finger moron.

After spending a couple of hours fixing the bolt situation it was too late to go test the screen. Not to worry, tomorrow is another day. It might be that the best screen for me is a shorty screen.

I have a few more things to put on, but maybe not for a couple of days. Unfortunately the luggage is back-ordered, and heated grips too. They say by the end of the month. I have a trip mid-May, so I hope so.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived