Road blasted centre stand

After my recent marathon trip to the UK I noticed that the lower cross member on my centre stand hand been "sand blasted" to the extent that it was down to bare metal.  I took the opportunity this weekend to remove the stand and repaint it.  I did a really thorough job including sanding, priming and putting down several layers of semi-matte black top coat.  Having ridden to work today the bloody thing is stone chipped already.

I'm thinking about wrapping the cross member in some sort of protective black wrap and was wondering if the panel had any input on the matter?

Of course I may well be being far too anal and worrying about something as utilitarian as a centre stand.

CS

Mine is the same after this summer's trip. I thought it was because of the Dempster Highway and an anomaly, but it seems not. I'm running a SW Motech skid plate - do have anything under the oil pan?

My plan was to give it a wipe with oil whenever I lubed the chain to keep it from rusting too badly. I think the best solution would be to have the cross bar professionally coated in a truck bed liner like Line-X. You could try using bicycle handlebar wrap - comes in black, easy to apply, and cushions the impacts.

• Supporting Member

@captainscarlet - I wonder if you could fit a piece of flexible vinyl tubing over the cross bar?  Tubing with same inner diameter as the outer diameter as the bar, cut lengthwise and stretched over the bar.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

15 minutes ago, captainscarlet said:

I'm terribly sorry old chap but here in the old world we don't know what that is. 😋

Hopefully this picture speaks in a universal language 😋

Screenshot_20190709-103126.png

Edited by norcal616
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

1 hour ago, betoney said:

@captainscarlet - I wonder if you could fit a piece of flexible vinyl tubing over the cross bar?  Tubing with same inner diameter as the outer diameter as the bar, cut lengthwise and stretched over the bar.

That's exactly what I did on a previous BMW - worked a charm, cost nothing using a short length of PVC garden-irrigation pipe   IIRC, 25mm diameter, held in place at each end with a black zip-tie..

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 months later...

FWIW, mine is the same.

Not bothered about it too much but may look at painting it with Hammerite or some such.

The clear vinyl film that you can get for fairing protection may be an idea...