My "new" Blue Tracer GT

Larz

"She wore Blue Velvet..." , well ok, she's actually wearing blue plasti-dip ( rubberized for your protection ;>) I never warmed up to the sliver and black with those blue wheels. However, I didn't want to commit to painting until I had a chance to see how the bike would look with a little more pop.

Enter Plasti-dip, great stuff for messing around, easily reversible and comes in some colors to play with. And thank goodness, because more than a mere cursory inspection of the quality of this work strongly suggests that someone "better not quit their day job".

I like it, a lot more than the stock silver- think I got a little carried away doing the passenger grab rails, though. Matte black for those, me thinks.

So what ya'all think?

IMG_20190711_142231.jpg

IMG_20190711_142603.jpg

IMG_20190711_142616.jpg

IMG_20190709_180937.jpg

IMG_20190711_075429.jpg

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

Gotta get me those painted pannier lids!   Pretty good colour match, Larz, if the photo colours are true to life. 

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Too much blue (purple) for my taste.  I would have preferred painting the wheels silver.  But you now have a unique bike and it looks like you did a fine job.

• Thanks 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

15 hours ago, Larz said:

"She wore Blue Velvet..." , well ok, she's wearing blue plasti-dip ( rubberized for your protection ;>),  minor quibble. I never warmed up to the sliver and black with those blue wheels. However, I didn't want to commit to painting until I had a chance to see how the bike would look with a little more pop.

Enter Plasti-dip, great stuff for messing around, easily reversible and comes in some colors to play with. And thank goodness, because more than a mere cursory inspection of the quality of this work strongly suggests that someone "better not quit their day job".

I like it, a lot more than the stock silver- think I got a little carried away doing the passenger grab rails, though. Matte black for those, me thinks.

So what ya'all think?

IMG_20190711_142231.jpg

IMG_20190711_142603.jpg

IMG_20190711_142616.jpg

IMG_20190709_180937.jpg

IMG_20190711_075429.jpg

Damn, Larz!  You have made that bike you didn't want into something beautiful.

• Thumbsup 1

@fjrpittsburgh rattle-can Plasti-dip is pretty easy to work with- surface prep is just cleaning with a de-greaser like Windex.  Best part if you mess it up just wait till it dries and you can peel it off and start over- easy peasy, man :)

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Looks good Larz.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I might do the pannier lids on my bike in flat black, to keep the paint from getting scratched up. 

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member

That.  Is.  Cool.

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

I like it. I have used Plasti Dip twice on bike projects; planned to just try it for a while and remove it, but it holds up well and ended up leaving it. It is easy to use. It never seems to run and you can put nice thick coats on it. The thicker coat jobs are actually easier to remove later. I agree, I’d peel it off the grab rails, it needs a black accent on the rear to balance out the black tank and fender up front. I vote for spraying the grab rails with the black metallic color and finish with Plasti Dip clear coat. I just saw all these colors at Auto Zone recently. I may have to follow your lead and try some changes too...

Edited by kingfisher
  • Thanks 1

Thanks folks, appreciate the comments 🙂

@wordsmithyeah the colors are fairly close for a cell phone camera ( Google Pixel 2a: pretty decent camera) I imagine you can get Plasti-dip in Oz, there's a nice Metallized black- you might think about it instead of regular paint; more scratch resistant and if it gets mucked up easy redo ( my gloss pannier lids at 5k are already showing some scratches on top just from day- to -day use)

@runnerhikeryeah man, it's got a kinda "Giant Blueberry" thing going on,eh 😆

@StealthAuThanks man. Gosh, I wish it was my idea 🤩 but it's not 🤔 been done by many- I first got into it on my Harley- lots of kids with Dynas on a HD forum were doin' it to their bikes. 

@fjrpittsburghcouple of important things about rattle-can Plasti-dip: shake the can while spraying a lot more than regular paint- like every 3 or so passes. If it's some of the luxury metal series stuff don't try to use the last 20% of the can,  it won't come out the same. It is surprisingly durable, but don't use bug&tar removers or citrus based cleaners on it... 

@Coop Damn coop, high praise from you, man😎 ( I love this bike, haven't ridden my other bikes in a month now. But  Yamaha tried to make it look like an "old man's" bike with a conservative color scheme- I maybe gettin' old at 60, but I don't wanna ride a bike that looks  "age appropriate" just yet 😑 

• Thumbsup 1

@countersteeryeah man, it does!

@betoneythanks man. I really like the way your bike looks- Red is one of the best colors for the FJ/Tracer body style, IMO

@roadrash83Thanks; yep, good idea- that gloss paint on the lids is pretty fragile....

@whistler😁

@kingfisherYeah it is. Go for it, man. You know how forgiving this stuff is. I want to get her painted at some point, but first I want to play with some different colors/schemes ( Purple people eater; white and black police bike, hmmm... ) And yes, grab rails must be changed- looks a little too " Willy Wonka" right now

Oh well, there's worse than Bobby Vinton to be runnin' through your head, eh😀

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 3