Trailering / Tie Down Tracer GT

Putting the bike in the truck (or maybe the trailer) and heading up to Bristol VT to some riding next week.  Need to truck it up there as need the truck as well for other plans.

So my other bike has clear access to the lower triple clamp - this one not so easy.  Canyon dancers will not work with the hand guards - unless I remove them.

Who has trailered a GT - ideas?  Images?

Vince

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Hi @vincep - Before I removed the handguards from my FJ, I used ANCRA soft ties over the grips, then anchored down (to the front bed corner hooks in my Dodge Ram) with conventional tie-down straps.   Worked perfectly...   Here's one supplier, but they are available everywhere: 

• Supporting Member

<<slightly off-topic shameless plug>> 

This WON’T work if you still have the handguards installed on your bike, but since the Canyon Dancer option was mentioned, my favorite choice by far is Cycle Cynch.   I’ve hauled dozens of bikes all over the place using this bar harness setup, and have found it to work flawlessly:  

I put soft ties on lower triple clamp, (easy to get to) and removed the handguards to use Canyon Dancer straps. Only takes a couple of minutes to remove guards (I think it was a 6mm and a 4mm Allen wrench to remove). Also put tie downs on passenger foot peg bracket. That photo was when I bought bike in Macon, GA and had no idea how and where to strap it. Total of six tie down points. I've lost a dirt bike due to a broken strap and I'm extra cautious now.

Be careful using the soft ties or the soft Canyon Dancers on heated grips. The stress and twisting of the grips can break the heating element n them.

Resize of 20190129_150952.jpg

Edited by RandyN
Warning
  • Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, RandyN said:

Be careful using the soft ties or the soft Canyon Dancers on heated grips. The stress and twisting of the grips can break the heating element n them.

That is a really good point that I hadn’t considered.  I have a Gen I FJ, and heated grips are kind of a non-issue here in Houston, so that didn’t occur to me.  

The Roadmaster woodie tow vehicle is bad-ass, by the way.  I like you already!  :) 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

The Roadmaster woodie tow vehicle is bad-ass, by the way.  I like you already!  :)

5 hours ago, chitown said:

Roadmaster with wood paneling. A proper Family Truckster! 

I'm looking at the bike tied down, I have a 2015 and I just use the lower triple camp. Then I look in the bottom left of the picture and see the Roadmaster Woodie Wagon.....and wonder if it has the rear facing seat looking out the back window. Then I think naw, you don't need to write any retort about it, no one else will probably notice it. Then low and behold, what do I see? Couple of regulars commenting on the Roadmaster, Ha! Small world, small world. Ah, the memories.

• Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member

I use soft ties looped around the lower triples and fork tubes.  Careful up higher on soft or bendable parts.

I have secured the bike this way for about 5k miles so far with no issues. 

The front wheel is secured in a Condor chock.

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

In the back of my pickup, pulled behind my motorhome. Front wheel in a good chock, motorcycle tie downs with built in soft ties around the lower triple tree (watch the cables and wiring) and two tie downs on the passenger foot peg brackets. This setup has worked like a champ for both my Versys 1000 and the GT for the last two years and 15,000 milesmotorhome.thumb.jpg.7dfd4bd0b516453d9c6db18b6b9d4725.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mike said:

In the back of my pickup, pulled behind my motorhome. Front wheel in a good chock, motorcycle tie downs with built in soft ties around the lower triple tree (watch the cables and wiring) and two tie downs on the passenger foot peg brackets. This setup has worked like a champ for both my Versys 1000 and the GT for the last two years and 15,000 milesmotorhome.thumb.jpg.7dfd4bd0b516453d9c6db18b6b9d4725.jpg

Life done right!!!

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, motopumps said:

I use soft ties looped around the lower triples and fork tubes.  Careful up higher on soft or bendable parts.

I have secured the bike this way for about 5k miles so far with no issues. 

The front wheel is secured in a Condor chock.

Rob

+1.  Used this exact method, materials and tiedown points when I picked mine up in Romney, WV and hauled it home to Southern MD in July 2018.  Curvy roads, lots of bumps, occasional braking for stupid people, etc.  Trailered just fine.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Premium Member

Not the best picture. If you look closely there are soft cinches around the triple trees. There's plenty of room, you just have to watch your routing. 

I probably have 3,000 miles or more like this with no problems 

20181014_164532.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA