2019 Airbox snorkel

Bimbim18

I have read (and theres some topics about previous gens) reguarding air filter upgrades and cutting down the snorkel inside the airbox to improve air flow.

I will be getting a Akro exhaust and ECU flash in the future, and am wondering, is this relevant or worth it for the 2019 Tracer 900 GT? 

I remember with my old muscle-cars after tossing on aftermarket exhaust and tuning the timing and carbs, opening up the air intake made a huge difference. 

Edited by Bimbim18

I can only comment on my experience with  ‘15 Tracer, but I think the airbox and principles are the same.

I changed to a K&N filter and cut the snorkel so that it was much shorter, but not flush with the top of the airbox. I didn’t notice any difference in performance or induction noise, but I have a Scorpion exhaust and this dominates the sound the bike makes.

So, in retrospect, changing the filter makes sense if you’re in the airbox and the OEM one is dirty: you may save some cash by going to a K&N type as it can be washed. I cut the snorkel after looking at the design and thinking it may smooth the airflow out. I suspect that any potential gains are too small to be detected by butt dyno.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Too add to this conversation... it has been reported that removing the foam underneath the fuel tank that sits on top of the airbox has been proven to show modest gains on the dyno as well as a louder induction noise. This is also speaking in regards to a '15 and I am unaware if the new Tracers have this foam... but if you are in the mood for some free modification and have the tank off...

Here is the post...

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I recall some early testings back when the FZ-09 came out ppl, of course tried to get more power outta the airbox but the gains where minimal at best for the effort/ potential extra cost(tuner may not have files for all airbox mods-highly likely they will not)... It performs really good for the criteria it's gotta meet... 

If anything- remove the airbox and run some nice bellmouths with pod filters... Will need to some decent tuning to do this...

For example running a pod filter on the FZ-07 with Yoshi exhaust and tune netted a little over 10hp bump in power with nothing being loss down low vs a Akra exhaust and tune which netted the avg 4-5hp aftermarket exhaust bump but has a little power loss down low - both cost almost the same identical price... 

Last I checked the FZ-09 and Tracer900 share same airbox part number 

Edited by norcal616
  • Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

I removed the foam from under the tank as well as modified the air intake and added a K&N filter.  I noticed a slightly improved throttle response and a little more power.  I did them all at the same time so I can't say if one or the other contributed.

Before making the changes I would only have to watch the roll-on front wheel lift in first and once in second I could roll to full throttle quickly without worry of wheelies (though the front end felt light).  After the changes an aggressive roll on in 2nd will lift the front wheel pretty easily.  It's otherwise stock with no ECU tune.

I didn't get pictures of the air intake, but I cut the tube about halfway.  Then I cut it vertically to remove the half of the tube on the air filter side.  The idea was to leave some backing to help pull air down into the box without the added turbulence of completely cutting off the tube.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1