Looks like you guys are stuck with me

I went ahead and pulled the trigger today and bought one. I got the Batman Matte Grey. I rode 90 miles home. It is a joy to ride and extremely comfortable. I really like the seat in the high position.

I already have problems with it though. The bolt holding the hand guards fell off before the first stop so now I have a floppy hand guard. Not a big deal, but it is a little embarrassing showing off my brand new bike and it already looks like it's fall apart. The dealer is supposed to be sending me the bolt to fix it as I was already too far away to turn back.

The other issues are both the engine light and the ABS light are both on. Not sure why. It seems to run fine. I haven't talked to the dealer yet about this as they are now closed. The frustrating thing is the dealer is 90 miles away and the 10 day forecast is all either cold or rainy so I do know when I can get back to them.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Sounds like your dealer didn't do a very thorough pre-delivery inspection, sadly.

I'd be tempted to "switch it off and switch it on" by disconnecting the battery. Count 1 elephant, 2 elephant up to 10 then reconnect the battery. Battery is under the rider's seat. If that clears the fault all well & good. If you still have the fault lights then I wouldn't ride the bike. In the UK we get RAC cover (like AAA cover) and I'd be calling them with a view to getting the bike transported back to the dealer so they can do a proper job of getting the bike road ready.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

A lot of the guys on this forum have reported this issue with the ABS and Check engine light. It has mostly turned out to be a loose connection on one of the wheel sensors for the ABS.

I would check the connections to both of the wheel sensors as well the bolts holding the sensor onto the fork.

• Premium Member
I would check every single bolt on that thing to make sure something else is not loose. FYI, the bike mostly comes assembled except the front end to include wheel and handlebars, so start there. Make sure the axle bolt is tight (Ty's was loose, mine wasn't snug), the wheel speed sensor bolt (under the rubber boot), and do a steering stem bearing test with the bike on the stand. Have somebody push down on the back end to get the front wheel off the ground, and grasp the forks and shake fore and aft. Look for looseness.

Lower steering stem nut (initial torque of 38 lb ft (52Nm).
Loosen lower steering stem nut slightly, then final torque of 13 lb ft (18 Nm).

The idea is to seat the bearings by tightening to 38 lb ft, then loosen slightly, and setting to the final torque of 13 lb ft.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Looks like code 069. Took me a bit to figure out the codes show up if you turn the key on but do not start the bike. Another thread says it's the front wheel speed sensor or ABS sensor.

Looks like code 069. Took me a bit to figure out the codes show up if you turn the key on but do not start the bike. Another thread says it's the front wheel speed sensor or ABS sensor.
Root - Yes. Follow this link http://fj-09.org/post/6795/thread  
there are some pics that will help you find the front wheel speed sensor. I'd check the 4mm allen bolt that secures the sensor to the mounting plate to be sure it is snug. Also check that the tire is on the correct way (look for the arrow on the sidewall pointing toward the front) as the Front Wheel sensor "reads' only one side of the rim. Finally, there is a locating "notch" that must be aligned with the inner part of the fork tube. Hope this helps you. Let us know.

Regarding setup: Personally, it is UNACCEPTABLE that the bike had a bolt fall out of the hand guard on your way home! I agree with another poster here - that the dealer really should pick the bike up, take it back to the shop, and have an EXPERIENCED tech go through your FJ to make sure it was set up properly.  While you're at it, they really should apologize for the sloppy set up and make an effort to EARN your trust and business in the future.

If you don't wish to go that route and want to only check everything yourself, let me know and I'll provide some more information.

-Skip

I found that thread earlier. Thank you for linking to it though. I hope it can help others with a similar issue. I was just out in the garage with my best friend looking over the speed sensor. I pointed out the speed sensor and took off the cover to inspect. He noticed a sizable gap between the plates that the sensor has and mounts too. Turns out the speed sensor was mounted crooked so it couldn't read the slot plate on the wheel. I took it off, remounted it properly, drove it around the block and all the warning lights went away. I guess it is one of the cheapest dealers in the nation for a reason. My goodness. I have a very trusted mechanic I've been taking my other bike to that only works on Japanese bikes. Joy's Cycle Shop in Markle, IN. Really one of the best mechanics in the area. Reasonably priced too except for tires. I kinda feel like taking it to him just to look over as I'm not sure I trust the dealer I bought it from to get it right. I certainly don't think it's worth the drive for their service department.

As far as the dealer goes, I'm not sure if they will do the 90 mile trip to pick it up or not. I have the owner of the shop's card. I will be emailing my sales agent with a cc to the owner. I really want a written response from the dealership. I'll keep you guys posted. You guys have been a huge help. At least I can sleep easy now that I know there's no warning lights on my brand new bike now. Thanks!

I do want to clarify, every problem I have had so far seems to be directly linked to the dealer setup. The bike is a brilliant bike. Hats off to Yamaha, shame on the dealer. I plan to do a more detailed ride report once I can get some more pleasure miles on the bike and I have a chance to play with some more options such as windshield height and drive modes. Unfortunately that may be a couple weeks if the forecast around here doesn't change. Fortunately that will give me time to go through and check every bolt on the bike :facepalm:

I found that thread earlier. Thank you for linking to it though. I hope it can help others with a similar issue. I was just out in the garage with my best friend looking over the speed sensor. I pointed out the speed sensor and took off the cover to inspect. He noticed a sizable gap between the plates that the sensor has and mounts too. Turns out the speed sensor was mounted crooked so it couldn't read the slot plate on the wheel. I took it off, remounted it properly, drove it around the block and all the warning lights went away. I guess it is one of the cheapest dealers in the nation for a reason. My goodness. I have a very trusted mechanic I've been taking my other bike to that only works on Japanese bikes. Joy's Cycle Shop in Markle, IN. Really one of the best mechanics in the area. Reasonably priced too except for tires. I kinda feel like taking it to him just to look over as I'm not sure I trust the dealer I bought it from to get it right. I certainly don't think it's worth the drive for their service department.

I know that I say this often, but I don't let dealers work on my bikes, always private bike shops. The guys who own these shops quit the dealerships because they don't pay good at all.

• Premium Member
Ulew- those are good ideas but no need to check the steering it is done by the factory and NOT part of the setup process.
You are probably correct (doesn't mean the factory did it right), but David was having high speed instability issues with his F-Jay and had the dealer readjust the steering stem bearings and he now claims all instability has been removed. Worth a shot. I will check mine today. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Let us know what you find out.
I went to pass a truck the other day and got some movement as I was accelerating around him at around 95-100 or so.

Personally, putting a quality timken style steering bearing (Alls-balls) is high on my list of priorities for changing on the FJ. I'll bet most of the high speed instability comes from Yamaha going with a lower cost, plastic cage steering bearing.

Archived