Looks like you guys are stuck with me

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went through the front end, every screw I could find and tightened them down. Seemed like almost every screw that I would expect torque ratings for were rather tight. I do not have a torque wrench so I couldn't check them properly. I have a friend I can borrow one from and I will probably do that. Nearly everything else needed anywhere from 1/2 turn to 2 full turns to be what I consider hand tight.

Guest eatpasta
I went ahead and pulled the trigger today and bought one. I got the Batman Matte Grey. I rode 90 miles home. It is a joy to ride and extremely comfortable. I really like the seat in the high position. 
I already have problems with it though. The bolt holding the hand guards fell off before the first stop so now I have a floppy hand guard.

yeah - sounds like you need to have a discussion with the manager of that place before dropping it off to be worked on again.  I would want them to double check everything before taking off again....

Congrats on the bike!!  Hope you have the chance to further enjoy it soon!

I called the sales rep this morning. He was very apologetic and said he would talk to his GM and call me back "definitely today" but probably after lunch. Well they are closed now with no call back. I don't really know what to expect from them in this situation. I feel pretty confident I have fixed everything other than the missing bolt which they are sending to me. Having them get the bike just wouldn't help anyone. It's an inconvenience for me and a huge expense for them. On the other hand, I paid freight and prep for them to put it together. I should not have to wrench on a vehicle the day I buy it to get rid of engine lights because they didn't put the bike together right. Having no ABS while thinking I have ABS is a pretty big safety issue too. Having ABS changes the way you are supposed to handle emergency situations. It feels like they should do something more than mail me a bolt. I don't know what that would be though. Up to this point I wasn't upset with the sales rep. It wasn't his fault the service department didn't put the bike together correctly. But he told me, unsolicited from myself, that he would definitely call me back today. I'm a little disappointed he didn't follow through with at least that.

• Premium Member
You have had shoddy service from the service bay and the sales dept has not kept their word. The dealer principal is obviously not running a very tight ship.

My expectations from them will be very low now and in the future. I'm not sure how it works across the ocean, but in the UK I would walk away from this dealer and ask another one to do the 600 mile service, preferably one with a personal recommendation. As far as warranties are concerned, Yamaha allows you to use any dealer across Europe and the labour charge for the 1st service is included in the purchase price.

I'm lucky that in my area I have a decent Yamaha dealer a mile away and another 12 miles away. 3 or 4 more within an hour. I guess in some parts of the US distances are much greater between dealers. For me, part of ownership is having a decent dealer nearby, even if the initial price is a bit higher. Worth a few hundred $ to make sure they stay in business.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

You have had shoddy service from the service bay and the sales dept has not kept their word. The dealer principal is obviously not running a very tight ship. 
My expectations from them will be very low now and in the future. I'm not sure how it works across the ocean, but in the UK I would walk away from this dealer and ask another one to do the 600 mile service, preferably one with a personal recommendation. As far as warranties are concerned, Yamaha allows you to use any dealer across Europe and the labour charge for the 1st service is included in the purchase price.

I'm lucky that in my area I have a decent Yamaha dealer a mile away and another 12 miles away. 3 or 4 more within an hour. I guess in some parts of the US distances are much greater between dealers. For me, part of ownership is having a decent dealer nearby, even if the initial price is a bit higher. Worth a few hundred $ to make sure they stay in business.

Here in the USA, Dealers are very very expensive for maintenance work. The dealer wanted $275 to sync my Throttle Bodies (very important by the way). I took it to a regular motorcycle mechanic who did it for $65 and he also cleaned and lubed my chain no extra charge. I have lived in a few parts of the US, and Dealers all suck here. Money grubbing bastards.

Guest eatpasta
I called the sales rep this morning. He was very apologetic and said he would talk to his GM and call me back "definitely today" but probably after lunch. Well they are closed now with no call back. I don't really know what to expect from them in this situation. I feel pretty confident I have fixed everything other than the missing bolt which they are sending to me. Having them get the bike just wouldn't help anyone. It's an inconvenience for me and a huge expense for them. On the other hand, I paid freight and prep for them to put it together. I should not have to wrench on a vehicle the day I buy it to get rid of engine lights because they didn't put the bike together right. Having no ABS while thinking I have ABS is a pretty big safety issue too. Having ABS changes the way you are supposed to handle emergency situations. It feels like they should do something more than mail me a bolt. I don't know what that would be though. Up to this point I wasn't upset with the sales rep. It wasn't his fault the service department didn't put the bike together correctly. But he told me, unsolicited from myself, that he would definitely call me back today. I'm a little disappointed he didn't follow through with at least that.

When you talk with the GM just very calmly talk about the Yelp review you're drafting

When you talk with the GM just very calmly talk about the Yelp review you're drafting

Screw Yelp, the dealer is getting absolutely buried right here for all to see. And, we do show up in search results. If the title of this thread were to be changed to "Avoid dealers name", it would be associated with the search term FJ-09 and everyone searching for info on the FJ-09 would see it, lol. Maybe mention that as well.

Guest eatpasta
Screw Yelp, the dealer is getting absolutely buried right here for all to see. And, we do show up in search results. If the title of this thread were to be changed to "Avoid dealers name", it would be associated with the search term FJ-09 and everyone searching for info on the FJ-09 would see it, lol. Maybe mention that as well.
either way, the internets have changed the way that these things work and no longer can dealerships get away with what they used to be able to.     These days customer service has to be genuine

The thing is, I don't even know what would be a good response from the GM. I don't know what to negotiate for. This is really the first bike I've bought. I can't really count the one I got from my Dad.

Is the 600 mile service included in the states? There are dealers closer to me, but still the closest one is about 35-40 miles away from me. The 2 closer to me both wanted $1,000 more for the bike. I got pretty bad vibes from one of them when I was thinking about getting a different bike last year. The other one is a tiny dealership that is still called House of Honda even though they've been dropped by Honda and do not sell them anymore. I have a trusted mechanic that isn't affiliated with any dealers I was planning to have do the service for me so I didn't worry about going a little further to save $1000 especially considering I didn't have very good options nearby.

Is the 600 mile service included in the states? There are dealers closer to me, but still the closest one is about 35-40 miles away from me. The 2 closer to me both wanted $1,000 more for the bike. I got pretty bad vibes from one of them when I was thinking about getting a different bike last year. The other one is a tiny dealership that is still called House of Honda even though they've been dropped by Honda and do not sell them anymore. I have a trusted mechanic that isn't affiliated with any dealers I was planning to have do the service for me so I didn't worry about going a little further to save $1000 especially considering I didn't have very good options nearby.

No, not in the US. Purchaser's responsibility. Some dealers might throw in in to entice a buyer, but it's coming out of their pocket, not Yamaha's.

If the GM or service manager calls you back and offers something to try and win your business (and confidence) back then I would give them one more shot. Bargain for them performing the service for free, but demand that their senior tech works on it, and they better give it back to you spotlessly clean. Oh, and you want synthetic oil as well. Find out if the tech will provide you with paperwork detailing WHAT was done during the service. Make sure it is given to you when you pick up the bike.

If they come through with all that, then I'd give them another shot.

Skip the former-Honda dealer, unless they are authorized Yamaha as well. A dealer can lose a line for many reasons, but if Honda dropped them- all is not well with that place. Honda also doesn't require any carb/throttle body syncs at regular service intervals anymore, except on older carb bikes like the VT's, ST's, older GLs , etc.

-skip

I agree that there should not be any bolts backing out of anything on a new bike. 

Heres my story. I bought a new DL650A in June 2012, on a Friday to be exact.  Put 300 miles on it that weekend.  Monday morning I got on to ride to work.  Got about a mile and a half from home a was approaching a red light. Grab the front brake, and nothing.  Brake lever was hitting the hand grip. Tried again, same result. The engine and rear brake brought me to a stop. 15 feet into an intersection. I was lucky it was a three way with traffic ahead and to the right only. 

I looked down and found my front caliper just hanging by the brake line, one of the caliper bolts was gone completely, and the other was just barely seated into the fork.  The caliper had knicked the shit out of my rim.  I put everything back together as best as I could and limped it home. Dealers around here are closed on Mondays, so I had a full day to think about the things I was going to be telling the owner. I also spent a good deal of time on the phone with Suzuki NA customer service.  The shetty prep could have killed me that day. 

Dealer replaced rim and caliper and refunded me the setup fees plus some other discounts. 

No real point to this story or grand lesson other than check everything yourself, before evey ride. 

Well, I called them back. They have to order the part so not sure when it will be in. They are sending me a $25 gift card "to smooth things over." Given I trust my mechanic much more and am willing to pay him to do any upcoming service properly I didn't push the issue any more. $25 just seemed like pennies. I know they have several other FJ-09's there. If they really had any concern, they would have already taken the part off another one and shipped it to me. Quite frankly I am relieved the 600 mile service isn't included in the price. I would probably buy from them again, just because they are so much cheaper than the competition. But I may just ask for delivery of the crate and put it together myself. lol

So, if you are a thrill seeker and want to risk your life for a $25 gift card, buy your next bike from Westfield Powersports!

Archived