Weird sounds/vibes only at constant speed

Wanted to ask some questions to the experts here before I take it to a dealer. I'll try to be short, its kind of hard to explain.

Background: 2015, I bought with 13K miles, currently at 17K.

I've always had noise/vibrations, thankfully a new chain/sprockets cleaned up most of this.

But now I have weird noises and vibrations that come through the pegs. This ONLY happens when going at a steady, constant speed with no acceleration or deceleration. I can reproduce it in any gear. When this is happening I can roll on the throttle and everything smooths out like it should be. The best way I can describe it is a 'chatter' from the clutch area. I hear this chatter, and I also feel this chatter, so I know somethings wrong.

What I've done so far: I pulled the clutch out, everything looked ok and in place to my untrained eye.                                                                                                            Oil is good.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Chain/sprockets good.

I wonder if anyone has insights or suggestions.

My next step might be to get a new clutch kit just to see if thats the problem.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Some reasons I think it might be the clutch is a. it happens in every gear. again only at constant speed. I think if it was chain related it would have an rpm based feel, but it does not. b. when this is happening, if I pull in the clutch, it stops. 

Edited by brewhaha

How much chain slack are you running?  (1-1.5 inches recommended)

Same noise in neutral with clutch out and baskets freewheeling?

Is front sprocket damped?

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

@nhchris  

a. Yes, running slack around 1in.                                                                                                                                                                         b. I would say its similar to the clutch basket sound, but much louder, and you can feel this.                                                               c. Not dampened sprocket because Sprocket Center was out of all dampened sprockets. 

I could try reducing the slack just for troubleshooting purposes. 

Yes, slack creates noise, but you gotta have it!

Rear wheel alignment right on?

I have never used undamped primary sprocket.  Maybe someone here can chime in regarding noise factor of damped vs. undamped.

I assume Yamaha uses damped as OEM for a reason: less shock on drivetrain for sure, and possibly noise?

When I pulled my rear wheel I was amazed at how many pieces of rubber fell out of the rear sprocket!

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

The damping on the front sprocket is mainly '"noise reduction" but I find it creates an odd clunky vibration that gets worse with RPMs ... I find the chain rides on the forward facing outside link of chain rather than the actual inner chain rollers when using damping sprocket... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

@brewhahaAre you talking about like say 40-45mph and you are just barely giving it any throttle... just enough to keep it at a steady speed?  If so... mine does it too... has done it for as long as i can remember.. I've chalked it up to drive chain not being under as much tension and causing a little vibration. Might have to do with the dampened sprocket as @norcal616 mentioned.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

There are several posts on this forum regarding vibrations. For me was a pain to find after several months of doing research etc., that the cause was very simple: chain tension. 1 to 1.5 inch slack must be measured you being ON the bike, specially if you are heavy weight . With the proper tension and slack, vibrations disappeared for me. Motor softness can be even improved if you use full synthetic oil, like Motul 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, alquimista said:

There are several posts on this forum regarding vibrations. For me was a pain to find after several months of doing research etc., that the cause was very simple: chain tension. 1 to 1.5 inch slack must be measured you being ON the bike, specially if you are heavy weight .

That is the first time I have ever heard that.  Every other chain tension thread has it measured 1 to 1.5" while on the center stand.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, alquimista said:

There are several posts on this forum regarding vibrations. For me was a pain to find after several months of doing research etc., that the cause was very simple: chain tension. 1 to 1.5 inch slack must be measured you being ON the bike, specially if you are heavy weight . With the proper tension and slack, vibrations disappeared for me. Motor softness can be even improved if you use full synthetic oil, like Motul 

I’ve said 8.5 times now on the blog that chain tension is KEY to this bike in particular. Anyone reading this now and your bike feels great, go measure your exact slack and write it down. The 1st time the bike “feels” and sounds different check slack. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

3 hours ago, alquimista said:

Ok. So what does 1.5 inches of slack with sag taken up by rider weight equate to with the bike on the center stand?  I assume a larger number, correct? 

How much larger?

Edited by nhchris
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, nhchris said:

Ok. So what does 1.5 inches of slack with sag taken up by rider weight equate to with the bike on the center stand?  I assume a larger number, correct? 

How much larger?

Chain slack should  be set with the bike on the side stand. Rider sag and chain slack two different things. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

Chain slack should  be set with the bike on the side stand. Rider sag and chain slack two different things. 

You sure about that?  Step 1 on page 7-25 of the owners manual says to Place the motorcycle on the center stand.  The owners manual for my previous bike said the same thing.

• Confused 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, betoney said:

You sure about that?  Step 1 on page 7-25 of the owners manual says to Place the motorcycle on the center stand.  The owners manual for my previous bike said the same thing.

Nope. Not sure about much these days. Was hesitant to post that, but for some reason I though side stand. However the manual also says 2-3mm of slack. Lol. But you are correct. Just looked thanks for the correction 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

thanks for the help/insight. I've spent the past couple of days going up and down on the chain slack. It was the same every time. The more I feel it and think about it, it might be the front undampened sprocket. I've ordered a dampened one. As soon as I install it I'll give an update.