So, I rode a new Gold Wing today...

texscottyd

• Supporting Member

I stopped by my local Honda dealer over lunch today, and ended up taking their demo Gold Wing out for an extended test ride. It was the standard model (not the Tour), with the traditional manual gearbox.  I know some people swear by the DCT, but that isn’t for me.  At least not yet...  

The verdict:  I’m really conflicted, truthfully.  It’s much more athletic than the prior models, with significantly less weight and a more trim & sporting demeanor.   And it works flawlessly, based on my limited exposure.  But it’s just so... antiseptic.  I’ve heard people refer to it as an ST1800, and that’s a damn good description.  If I had to cover a huge number of highway miles with zero fuss, you couldn’t pick a better mount.  Unless you chose an Accord, which kinda seems like the same vehicle (just harder to tip over).

So it’s a stunningly refined & capable motorcycle, but - for me, at least - it’s as emotionally stimulating as dry white toast.  I’m clearly not the Gold Wing’s target audience, but I am looking forward to my next ride on the marginally-refined CP3 Yamaha.  :)  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

If I had to cover a huge number of highway miles with zero fuss, you couldn’t pick a better mount.

So it’s a stunningly refined & capable motorcycle, but - for me, at least - it’s as emotionally stimulating as dry white toast.  I’m clearly not the Gold Wing’s target audience, but I am looking forward to my next ride on the marginally-refined CP3 Yamaha.  :)  

Regardless of how well it covers mileage, if it lacks character then its merely a tool to get you from point A to B. 

I was able to get out for a brief ride today, took some winding back roads while running errands, the CP3 definitely "stirs the soul" as they say.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, betoney said:

Regardless of how well it covers mileage, if it lacks character then its merely a tool to get you from point A to B...the CP3 definitely "stirs the soul" as they say.

To my simple mind, that is definitely spot on, Betoney.

• Thumbsup 2
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Premium Member

I rode the DCT version for about an hour earlier this year.  I rode the previous version for a long weekend in Canada a couple years back and I've also ridden the VFR1200X w DCT, so I had something to compare with.

The "ST1800" is just as stated above: very refined, nicely packaged and lacking character.  Yep, a 2 wheeled Accord.

The DCT has been improved, especially the SPORT mode. It seemed to read my mind when rolling off the throttle approaching a turn, it would drop a gear just as I would have. Upshifts were quick and smooth. Engine might as well be an electric motor, though it does have a decent growl to it.

The suspension does a good job at dealing with the weight of the bike. Brakes are a substantial improvement over the previous gen, which I thought felt wooden.

Smaller tank and less storage were hard to understand. Touring bike need a touring tank! I realize these were sacrifices made for weight reduction.

But even with all the changes, it still "feels" like a Gold Wing (good, bad or indifferent).

Personally I enjoy my ST1100 more and could purchase 10 nice used STs for the price of one 'Wing. If $$ was no object I might buy one, but would probably look at a KTM Super Duke (how much "personality" can 1 bike have?) or BMW K1600.

• Thumbsup 2

As an owner of a 2019 Accord (and a 2011 before that) I'm reminded of a reviewer of the car. It sounds like its fitting for the GW.

"The Accord is not exciting. But it is very very good."

I really like my Accord. However, the FJ-09 gets ridden whenever possible. So the car sits a lot thankfully.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Tusk said:

As an owner of a 2019 Accord (and a 2011 before that) I'm reminded of a reviewer of the car. It sounds like its fitting for the GW.

"The Accord is not exciting. But it is very very good."

I really like my Accord. However, the FJ-09 gets ridden whenever possible. So the car sits a lot thankfully.

Meanwhile, the CP3 platform is more like the Honda Civic  😎

image.thumb.png.4fd58e2b32bd640a19df235fb0c7a1f6.png

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Meanwhile, the CP3 platform is more like the Honda Civic  😎

image.thumb.png.4fd58e2b32bd640a19df235fb0c7a1f6.png

In tuner form, I don't disagree with the Civic analogy...  especially that Civic.   

Personally I'm thinking more Focus RS:   Ridiculously fun, not particularly refined. 

Focus-RS.thumb.jpg.3b2b4eb71b5442eba76205aca7b34c21.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

I'm thinking more along the lines of a Nissan GT-R or a Dorito Motor car( Rotary/ Wankel)... 

Civics, focus RS are to popular of choices...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp