GT in Vermont

I loaded up the Tracer in the pickup and drove up to Bristol VT, near Burlington on Lake Champlain.  It was about a 515 mile drive and I wanted to knock it out rather than ride the bike.  This is the first time in almost 40 years of road riding, where I have trailered/trucked to start a ride (not including dirt biking).

I am using Bristol VT as a base and using a RoadRunner magazine cloverleaf ride.  For those not familiar, RoadRunner comes out every two months and always has a “cloverleaf” ride where you base yourself in one place and they have four loop rides – usually planned as day trips each.

I have done two of the loops in a day (they average a little over 200 miles each) and one each on the other days.  The magazine also gives you the .gpx files – which I have been using.  I have ventured out on roads that look interesting as well.  Lake Champlain is huge with VT on the east and NY state on the west.  Very pretty area with rivers and streams and lots of boating and swimming.

The roads could be great, but their surface condition is overall poor.  I guess the hard winters here destroy the roads.  VT232 running through Groton State Forrest is the worst asphalt / sealed road I have ever ridden.  I was bought up on dirt roads and this road is crap – I am not sure if it frost heaves or whatever they are called, but the surface is bad!

I wanted to head north for some cooler weather – it is very hot and humid in Northern VA at the moment.  It has been warm in VT as well, but nice for riding.

Last few days have been great.  Raining this morning (Wed) and will sit it out.  Should clear at lunch.

I think I will try more of these RoadRunner cloverleaf rides.  When I ride with the four regular guys at home, three of them like planning the routes etc, and I just have to follow along – which I like.  Going out by myself I like the fact that someone has already planned it as a starting point for the adventure.

Went from a 2011 Multistrada to the Tracer GT and loving it.  In June 2019 I rented a 2018 Multi for a week on holidays and was worried that when I got back to the GT I would not like it – has not been the case.  Only thing I miss from the ’18 Multi is the up/down quick shifter and the better suspension.  The suspension is the only thing I would invest in, on this bike.

PS:  One dumb thing – do not leave the EZ Pass on the bike in the pickup - $36 in tolls from Arlington VA to Bristol VT on a bike that did 0 miles!

20190714 Bike Truck Med.jpg

20190715 Lake Champlain Med.jpg

20190716 Bristol Vt Rt 17 Med.jpg

20190716 NY State VT Bridge Med.jpg

• Thumbsup 8

• Premium Member

My exhaust would look really good on your bike. Just saying. Lol. Nice trip. 

• Haha 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member

Nice!  I'm riding my GT w friend on ZX14 from central NJ to Bennington VT area this weekend, July 20/21.  Will it be hot?  Yes, upper 90s.  But better than on my previous bike, a 14 R1 w undertail exhaust.  I'd get 1st degree burns under hamstrings, even wearing vented pants above 90.

Gotta love the triple.

10 hours ago, vincep said:

I loaded up the Tracer in the pickup and drove up to Bristol VT, near Burlington on Lake Champlain.  It was about a 515 mile drive and I wanted to knock it out rather than ride the bike.  This is the first time in almost 40 years of road riding, where I have trailered/trucked to start a ride (not including dirt biking).

I am using Bristol VT as a base and using a RoadRunner magazine cloverleaf ride.  For those not familiar, RoadRunner comes out every two months and always has a “cloverleaf” ride where you base yourself in one place and they have four loop rides – usually planned as day trips each.

I have done two of the loops in a day (they average a little over 200 miles each) and one each on the other days.  The magazine also gives you the .gpx files – which I have been using.  I have ventured out on roads that look interesting as well.  Lake Champlain is huge with VT on the east and NY state on the west.  Very pretty area with rivers and streams and lots of boating and swimming.

The roads could be great, but their surface condition is overall poor.  I guess the hard winters here destroy the roads.  VT232 running through Groton State Forrest is the worst asphalt / sealed road I have ever ridden.  I was bought up on dirt roads and this road is crap – I am not sure if it frost heaves or whatever they are called, but the surface is bad!

I wanted to head north for some cooler weather – it is very hot and humid in Northern VA at the moment.  It has been warm in VT as well, but nice for riding.

Last few days have been great.  Raining this morning (Wed) and will sit it out.  Should clear at lunch.

I think I will try more of these RoadRunner cloverleaf rides.  When I ride with the four regular guys at home, three of them like planning the routes etc, and I just have to follow along – which I like.  Going out by myself I like the fact that someone has already planned it as a starting point for the adventure.

Went from a 2011 Multistrada to the Tracer GT and loving it.  In June 2019 I rented a 2018 Multi for a week on holidays and was worried that when I got back to the GT I would not like it – has not been the case.  Only thing I miss from the ’18 Multi is the up/down quick shifter and the better suspension.  The suspension is the only thing I would invest in, on this bike.

PS:  One dumb thing – do not leave the EZ Pass on the bike in the pickup - $36 in tolls from Arlington VA to Bristol VT on a bike that did 0 miles!

I was in VT a few years ago and didn't find the roads too bad.

Did you ride any of the "gaps" while in the area? Eg. Lincoln Gap?

Mt Equinox is a great ride in central VT.  Don't miss it if you have the time.  

Also, the ride up Mt Washington in NH is a classic.

cb

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

3 hours ago, countersteer said:

I live near Bristol and yes, many our roads are in bad shape.  Tough climate.  If you did Lincoln Gap, hope you like gravel.  

Sh*t - that's right.

We took the Lincoln Gap back from #100 after taking the Appalachian Gap (#17) from Bristol and it did turn to dirt for some of the way. The App Gap was an awesome road.

Rob

Edited by rlambke19