Akra Euro4 Baffle removal

bugie

So i'v decided I want to remove the baffle on my Euro4 Akrapovic exhaust. Has anyone else done this on theirs? If so what tools did you use to get the baffle out after drilling through the spot weld?

Thanks,

Chris

I completed this yesterday so thought i'd share what i did. 

Drill the spot weld with at least a 6mm drill bit (I used a 7mm)

Trying to pry it out with grips just distorts the shape of the baffle tips (even if you use a cloth to prevent the grips scratching the baffle). The baffle joins on to the another pipe at the base so you also can't insert something to anchor it for leverage at the base of the baffle.

I found the easiest technique is to wipe grease on the inside of the exhaust tip so that is reduces surface friction when you start pushing. From the inside of the exhaust you can see the backside of the baffle. Insert a long metal rod into the exhaust and hammer the baffle out obviously making sure that the rod is actually resting against the baffle and not the exhaust inner mesh.

Edited by bugie
  • Thumbsup 1

I took the baffle out of my Scorpion exhaust yesterday, just in the interests of science of course, and rode round the block. I put it straight back in again as it was stupidly loud. 

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, BBB said:

I took the baffle out of my Scorpion exhaust yesterday, just in the interests of science of course, and rode round the block. I put it straight back in again as it was stupidly loud. 

I did the exact same with my Scorpion, the baffle went right back in. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, betoney said:

I did the exact same with my Scorpion, the baffle went right back in. 

I've heard the Akro was ridiculously loud with the baffle removed as well... that's why I was interested in @bugie's thoughts.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

17 hours ago, duhs10 said:

I've heard the Akro was ridiculously loud with the baffle removed as well... that's why I was interested in @bugie's thoughts.

It is abnoxiously loud. I went for a ride without earplugs in and about 15 mins in I was already saying this is too loud. I will try  again with ear plugs to see if it is bearable. I think doing long stretches on the bike with the baffle out wouldn't be fun.

To be honest the difference the baffle makes is outstanding. It is way too quiet with the baffle in (barely noticeable from stock) and way too loud without. I would ideally like to find a way to modify the original baffle to find a happy in between.

14 minutes ago, bugie said:

It is abnoxiously loud. I went for a ride without earplugs in and about 15 mins in I was already saying this is too loud. I will try  again with ear plugs to see if it is bearable. I think doing long stretches on the bike with the baffle out wouldn't be fun.

To be honest the difference the baffle makes is outstanding. It is way too quiet with the baffle in (barely noticeable from stock) and way too loud without. I would ideally like to find a way to modify the original baffle to find a happy in between.

I thought that might be the case. Keep us updated on what you come up with...

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Can you put up a picture of the baffle? I’ve seen some posts on other bike forums on mods that can be done sequentially to alter noise levels. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Some owners using the AkraTi on the MT-07 forum use the "MT-09" baffle as it's louder than the baffle supplied with the MT-07 AkraTi... The MT-07 has 2 exit holes vs 3 on the FZ/MT-09

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

This is the inside of the exhaust. The 3 pipes slip over the pipes in the exhaust and the round dish in the middle of the exhaust prevents the exhaust gases from leaving. I am wondering if drilling holes in the dish will create the same effect, or perhaps cutting the remainder of the baffle from exactly behind the round dish would be more beneficial

IMG_20190719_223535.jpg

I've read that drilling holes in the baffle tubes of the db killer helps  increase the noise. I'm sure a quick search on the web will give you ideas. Sorry didn't want to link another sites url. 🙂

• Thanks 1