Akra Euro4 Baffle removal

bugie

Did a test ride with my ear plugs in and the exhaust is just about bearable so i'll be keeping it in for the time being. I live on a small island which is under 50km long and even less wide so rarely ride longer than 45 mins straight. I think for mainland overland trips i'll need to reinstall the baffle though

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2019 at 8:19 AM, bugie said:

This is the inside of the exhaust. The 3 pipes slip over the pipes in the exhaust and the round dish in the middle of the exhaust prevents the exhaust gases from leaving. I am wondering if drilling holes in the dish will create the same effect, or perhaps cutting the remainder of the baffle from exactly behind the round dish would be more beneficial

IMG_20190719_223535.jpg

Did you end up cutting the baffles after the dish or cut off the dish itself?

• 5 months later...

Been looking at this and there's another option.

It seems there's two baffles for this system. V-TUV142 & V-TUV203.

I thought the 203 was the optional and less restrictive baffle, but I'm not sure?

I found it here on this Dutch site;

Translation.

This db-killer is among others in the Akrapovic exhaust for the Yamaha MT09. By adjusting this dbkiller a better sound comes out of this damper. On the face of it, the Akrapovič db-killers V-TUV142 and V-TUV203 appear to be the same. But there are some differences between the VTUV142 and the VTUV203. The V-TUV203 is shorter. And the three pipes come out in a different way, see the photos. And of course the V-TUV142 has a welded-on nut. And not the V-TUV203.
Don't know exactly which db killer you need? Feel free to ask!
When ordering db killers, please note the following. If you need a dbkiller for an exhaust on the left side of the engine (seen from the rear) then you almost always need a db-killer where the article number ends with an L. The hole that secures the bolt is always on the inside (the side of the tire). With a left db killer, that hole is on the right, and with a right db killer, this hole is on the left. That bolt is not always included in the factory. But if that's the case, we'll add that bolt. Tip: Always tighten the bolt properly and check it after a ride. They vibrate quickly, and that is not covered by the warranty.
Another tip: We also supply that rubber cap that you use to seal the bolt hole in a carbon end cap. That is also in the webshop, search for P-GUV004.

Reading it again, I think the 142 is the optional part as it has the welded on nut that the Euro4 compliant part lacks. If you look closely at the pictures, the 203 has holes in the lower part of the baffle, which look like they've been hand drilled. Pointing to it being a standard baffle someone has modified?

Your's confused. Sorted GT. P.S. Zero mention of either part on Akra's website....

Right. Seems that V-TUV203 is the Euro4 compliant, welded in baffle/damper as supplied by Yamaha and fitted to my bike.

V-TUV142 is the one as supplied direct from Akrapovic in the aftermarket system which doesn't need to be Euro4 compliant so it can be removed/refitted and bolted back in at will. See schematic below. 

https://www.carpimoto.it/Images/Products/Pdf/S-Y9R3-HAFT_Schematic.pdf

The question is. Will it sound any different/better(er)? 🤓

11 hours ago, SortedGT said:

Right. Seems that V-TUV203 is the Euro4 compliant, welded in baffle/damper as supplied by Yamaha and fitted to my bike.

V-TUV142 is the one as supplied direct from Akrapovic in the aftermarket system which doesn't need to be Euro4 compliant so it can be removed/refitted and bolted back in at will. See schematic below. 

https://www.carpimoto.it/Images/Products/Pdf/S-Y9R3-HAFT_Schematic.pdf

The question is. Will it sound any different/better(er)? 🤓

That exhaust was for the pre-GT models.

2 hours ago, bugie said:

That exhaust was for the pre-GT models.

From that listed on Akra's website it hasn't changed since 2017. Well with the exception of the baffle/damper being welded in and the differing baffle lengths.

Edited by SortedGT

Thanks to you @bugie for being brave enough to remove the baffle in the first place. At some point I'm going to do the same and drill a few holes in the baffle to improve? the soundtrack from that pipe as it is too quiet and yet on balance probably too loud with it removed.

Found this on YouTube.

I think I would do the same but drill the holes further up the baffle towards the outer end? 🤓

• 2 months later...

Job jobbed as above. Big improvement on standard. Previous owner had been there before and drilled the baffle, respect, but had stopped short of the slashcut that is required. Euro4 compliant my arse!

Hope everyone is staying well and hearty during this clusterphuck of a time. 🖖

• Thumbsup 1