First experience with quick shifter

This is my first bike with a quick shifter.  I don't have anything to compare it to since I have never used one before but this one seems a bit abrupt.  I guess I imagined the shifts would be much smoother.  It seems to work best when accelerating hard and shifting at high rpm, which is about the only time I use it anyway.

So my question is does this one cut fueling or ignition to unload the gearbox for the shift.  Which ever it is it seems to do it either too much or not fast enough based on what I expected...…...or maybe my expectations were a bit too much. 

On one of my other bikes I can preload the shifter and just roll out of the throttle a touch and get a fast and smooth high rpm up shift without the clutch.  But then the gear box on that bike is noticeably smoother to begin with than the Tracer. 

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Mine was so inconsistent that I gave up on it and turned it off. It may be partially my riding style, but I've had someone else ride it, he was an ex roadracer with quickshifter experience, and he agreed it wasn't good.

In case anyone needs the method for shutting it off it is; Start with bike off, hold shift lever up (fairly firmly) while turning on, hold the lever up for for about 15 seconds. QS in upper left corner will disappear. To reengage it is the same method. Sometimes had to repeat sequence several times to get it to change.

It's my first bike with a quickshifter as well. I don't like the way it shifts from 1st thru 3rd gear- rough. My understanding is the jumps between the  lower gears are further apart ( please correct if that's incorrect ). But if the throttle is held steady its shifts pretty smoothly from 3rd thru 6th. Don't use it that often, but it definitely gets you up to speed quicker than using the clutch 

AFAIK it cuts ignition... I use a QS(Woolich) and yes it's a bit clunky in the lower gears, I find it smooth at 7k+ RPMs till I'm in 4th gear which I can QS at any decent RPM... IIRC QS in general (using preset settings) generally don't like to be used under 5k RPMs but work pretty good in the upper RPMs...

****** BBBBBUUTTTT!!!! I mainly ride with TC off so the ECU is not messing around doing its job in general... Big difference in how the QS performs *****

Using 1st gear on this bike is a bit pointless( to me) as it's pretty identical to 2nd gear at speed(approx 5mph difference)...

Edit: I should mention my ECU flash with Woolich from 2WDW was the 1st one done for the CP3 platform from 2WDW bout 3yrs ago using the shops FZ-09 so it's probably has been refined since then... 

Edited by norcal616
  • Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

16 hours ago, RandyN said:

the method for shutting it [QS] off it is; Start with bike off, hold shift lever up (fairly firmly) while turning on, hold the lever up for for about 15 seconds. QS in upper left corner will disappear. To reengage it is the same method.

How in heck would one figure that out?

Great tip.

56 minutes ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

The directions for turning off the QS are in the manual.  You really don't have to figure it out.  😋

I can't find it. It is not on page 4-24, the only place referenced in the index. On page 4-11 the display is described and it says "If a problem is detected in the quick shift system, this indicator will turn off and the quick shift system will be unavailable." Nothing about operator shut off.

When I read the manual, my understanding was that it can't disabled, and I was surprised. I was looking for it, but it is still possible that I missed it if it is not indexed.

48 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I can't find it. It is not on page 4-24, the only place referenced in the index. On page 4-11 the display is described and it says "If a problem is detected in the quick shift system, this indicator will turn off and the quick shift system will be unavailable." Nothing about operator shut off.

When I read the manual, my understanding was that it can't disabled, and I was surprised. I was looking for it, but it is still possible that I missed it if it is not indexed.

I don’t have one in front of me but check under chapter 1 Technical Features, or under Features. Sometimes Yamaha will mention it in the front near the instrument cluster stuff. Same with shutting off TCS. 

Skip

Edited by skipperT

On 7/22/2019 at 10:41 PM, RandyN said:

Mine was so inconsistent that I gave up on it and turned it off. It may be partially my riding style, but I've had someone else ride it, he was an ex roadracer with quickshifter experience, and he agreed it wasn't good.

In case anyone needs the method for shutting it off it is; Start with bike off, hold shift lever up (fairly firmly) while turning on, hold the lever up for for about 15 seconds. QS in upper left corner will disappear. To reengage it is the same method. Sometimes had to repeat sequence several times to get it to change.

That worked for me, tho' it took quite bit longer than 15 seconds, stood-standing there on one leg like a flamingo!  But having had QS on other bikes, I have to say that I cannot see the value on street bikes like ours (unless you frequently do track days). 

I fully understand the need to save micro-seconds when racing, but on the road - nah!   And after all, how long does it take to pull in the clutch-lever - and how rewarding is it to complete that perfect gear-shift, with synchronisation perfectly executed between engine-speed, throttle, clutch, gear-lever?  My QS is now off and will remain off!

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, wordsmith said:

That worked for me, tho' it took quite bit longer than 15 seconds, stood-standing there on one leg like a flamingo!  But having had QS on other bikes, I have to say that I cannot see the value on street bikes like ours (unless you frequently do track days). 

I fully understand the need to save micro-seconds when racing, but on the road - nah!   And after all, how long does it take to pull in the lever - and how rewarding is it to complete that model gear-shift, with synchronisation perfectly executed between throttle, clutch, gear-lever?  My QS is now off and will remain off!

I remember reading a piece by Kevin  Camron. Where he said that quickshifters  are fine for use on race and track bikes,  but put a lot unnecessary stress on street bikes transmissions. He said, Race bikes have their transmissions frequently taken apart serviced and the system adjusted. I think the piece was in Cycle World a few years back.

Edited by roadrash83

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member

The Healtech QS lets you adjust cutoff values and delay from the start of the shifter being activated for 6 or 7 independent RPM bands. Once dialed in, will shift like butter in all gears. However you need to be somewhat consistent in how you use it. I love it. And I’m glad I never purchased the stock QS I could have for my 2015. Sounds like they are not ideal. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member

I have three bikes with QS and they all seem to have the same quirkinesses.  They work best in the higher gears than in the lower gears.  They work best when accelerating hard.  And they work smoother the smaller the cylinder bore on the particular bike.

I have a BMW R1200, a KTM 1290 Super Duke, and the GT.  The BMW and the KTM have big cylinders with a lot of bang per stroke and that shows in the QS.  I have test ridden several 1000cc four cylinder bikes and the QS shifter are a lot smoother.  The GT is somewhere in between those two, and in general, not bad, I like it and I use it a lot.

• Thumbsup 2

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA