Hard upshifts?

bobdog

Anyone experiencing hard upshifts on their new FJ?  I checked my chain tension and it was too tight, corrected that, thinking it might alleviate the problem.  No soap.  Not a problem downshifting, but sometimes requires a second poke with the toe to go up, especially under hard acceleration.   
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
I have zero problems with mine, but I let a friend ride mine and he complained about the shifting. He attributed it to the distance between his boot and the shifter which is easily remedied with a simple adjustment.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I have the same problem. 4 5 6 I have to double clutch it. When I take it in for the 600 mile check I will have them look at it. It also may be I am resting my foot under the shift after it has shifted and has not completely return even though it has went into gear. Wish I could change it to gp shifting.

I cnanged to new Moto x boots recently for riding my CRF250L and since the up gearchange has been difficult- turned out to be that after changing up I wasnt dropping my toe down far enough to let the next gear engage. even now I have issues at times. try dropping your toe down a little further and see if that works?

You all may be right!  I lowered the shifter and the problem got worse.  My size 13 brogans must be holding the shifter up a bit.  I'll check it out tomorrow!  Thanks - it's the only true annoyance other than the speed limiter.  
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Just got a call from my dealer about a shift shaft update. Said I should be expecting an email from Yamaha Canada very soon.
Here in London Ontario is still cold and snowed this morning. Haven't even had a chance to ride to check the shifting.

Just got a call from my dealer about a shift shaft update. Said I should be expecting an email from Yamaha Canada very soon. Here in London Ontario is still cold and snowed this morning. Haven't even had a chance to ride to check the shifting.
Is your VIN ###RN37N######## ? 
That's what mine is, and is definitely in the 2 - 1322 range.

I'll call my dealer tomorrow. Guess I won't be going for my first ride Sunday as planned.  B-|
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
Just got a call from my dealer about a shift shaft update. Said I should be expecting an email from Yamaha Canada very soon. Here in London Ontario is still cold and snowed this morning. Haven't even had a chance to ride to check the shifting.
Is your VIN ###RN37N######## ? 
That's what mine is, and is definitely in the 2 - 1322 range.

I'll call my dealer tomorrow. Guess I won't be going for my first ride Sunday as planned.  B-|
Oh man, that sucks. 
I go to put a deposit on my bike tomorrow.  I wonder if it's part of the recall too?  Maybe I won't be getting it as soon as I thought.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Dealer told me DO NOT RIDE.  Mine got stuck in second.  Couldn't hit 3rd.  Yep.  Solidly in that serial number range. Expensive paperweight, as the recall has not been published and parts aren't ready yet. >:D

20150411 - Got the bike back from the recall and saw former shift shaft.  Will update with a pic of former part.  Mine had a squared off 90 degree turn on the cam pawl instead of a rounded bend.  Bike shifts up now, too. Went for a ride and added some accessories. Both feeling much better now, thanks. 8-)

Archived