stevesweetz

Dropped :( Crankcase cover paint recommendations?

Hi guys, long time no post.  After 4 years of ownership with nary an incident, a few days ago I dropped the bike on gravel (stationary drop, not moving).  Basically was fatigued from heat and just lost my footing while pulled over in a gravel parking lot to rest.

Drop was on the left (kickstand) side. Bike came out relatively unscathed except for some rash on the hand guard and quite a lot of rash on the crankcase cover. 

The crankcase rash is hardly the first scratch on the bike, but it's still a bit too ugly for me to live with.  I might replace it over the winter, but for now going to try to just mask it off and repaint while it's still on the bike. I saw this VHT paint recommended on the FZ forums.  Apparently it's a pretty close match.  Just want to check if anyone here has a different recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KIZQ4O/?coliid=I3OL0Y2OYC2VA&colid=J15JYAHWS3W6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I used a flat black when I touched up mine, only on the lower part and it matches well.

11 hours ago, stevesweetz said:

Hi guys, long time no post.  After 4 years of ownership with nary an incident, a few days ago I dropped the bike on gravel (stationary drop, not moving).  Basically was fatigued from heat and just lost my footing while pulled over in a gravel parking lot to rest.

Drop was on the left (kickstand) side. Bike came out relatively unscathed except for some rash on the hand guard and quite a lot of rash on the crankcase cover. 

The crankcase rash is hardly the first scratch on the bike, but it's still a bit too ugly for me to live with.  I might replace it over the winter, but for now going to try to just mask it off and repaint while it's still on the bike. I saw this VHT paint recommended on the FZ forums.  Apparently it's a pretty close match.  Just want to check if anyone here has a different recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KIZQ4O/?coliid=I3OL0Y2OYC2VA&colid=J15JYAHWS3W6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I like the idea of the amazon linked stuff above, but it’s called Metallic Black, which makes me wonder how well it really matches?

@jdavis any flat black will do?

-Skip

The best one: universal GO FAST sticker... Repairs bruised egos and adds 1.289 Horsepressure 🤯

60338e8630021e2fe77ed39a6367436f.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

7 hours ago, skipperT said:

I like the idea of the amazon linked stuff above, but it’s called Metallic Black, which makes me wonder how well it really matches?

@jdavis any flat black will do?

-Skip

Mine was 'British Paints Easy Spray Flat Black'. I have now fitted Crash Bars to stop a future incident.

20190106-DSC01521.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

23 hours ago, skipperT said:

-Skip

I don't know if it's different for different model years, but on my 2016 if you look at the stock case/frame paint closely there is a little sparkly/metallic effect to it.  Based on the pictures in the FZ-09 thread, the VHT paint is a little shinier than stock, but it seems pretty close.

• Thumbsup 1

I got around to painting this last night.  Hasn't been good enough lighting conditions to take a worthwhile picture though.  I'll try to get one uploaded at some point.

The VHT paint is both a little glossier and more metallic than the stock paint, but it's still a pretty close match.  It blends with the stock paint pretty nicely.  So I sprayed heavier on the bottom of the cover where the scratches were and pulled away as I moved to the top.  Won't look perfect by any means, but I think it will be a little better than just flat black and it's still less ugly than a bunch of scratches down to bare metal.