Dropped :( Crankcase cover paint recommendations?

Hi guys, long time no post.  After 4 years of ownership with nary an incident, a few days ago I dropped the bike on gravel (stationary drop, not moving).  Basically was fatigued from heat and just lost my footing while pulled over in a gravel parking lot to rest.

Drop was on the left (kickstand) side. Bike came out relatively unscathed except for some rash on the hand guard and quite a lot of rash on the crankcase cover. 

The crankcase rash is hardly the first scratch on the bike, but it's still a bit too ugly for me to live with.  I might replace it over the winter, but for now going to try to just mask it off and repaint while it's still on the bike. I saw this VHT paint recommended on the FZ forums.  Apparently it's a pretty close match.  Just want to check if anyone here has a different recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KIZQ4O/?coliid=I3OL0Y2OYC2VA&colid=J15JYAHWS3W6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

11 hours ago, stevesweetz said:

Hi guys, long time no post.  After 4 years of ownership with nary an incident, a few days ago I dropped the bike on gravel (stationary drop, not moving).  Basically was fatigued from heat and just lost my footing while pulled over in a gravel parking lot to rest.

Drop was on the left (kickstand) side. Bike came out relatively unscathed except for some rash on the hand guard and quite a lot of rash on the crankcase cover. 

The crankcase rash is hardly the first scratch on the bike, but it's still a bit too ugly for me to live with.  I might replace it over the winter, but for now going to try to just mask it off and repaint while it's still on the bike. I saw this VHT paint recommended on the FZ forums.  Apparently it's a pretty close match.  Just want to check if anyone here has a different recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KIZQ4O/?coliid=I3OL0Y2OYC2VA&colid=J15JYAHWS3W6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I like the idea of the amazon linked stuff above, but it’s called Metallic Black, which makes me wonder how well it really matches?

@jdavis any flat black will do?

-Skip

7 hours ago, skipperT said:

I like the idea of the amazon linked stuff above, but it’s called Metallic Black, which makes me wonder how well it really matches?

@jdavis any flat black will do?

-Skip

Mine was 'British Paints Easy Spray Flat Black'. I have now fitted Crash Bars to stop a future incident.

20190106-DSC01521.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

23 hours ago, skipperT said:

-Skip

I don't know if it's different for different model years, but on my 2016 if you look at the stock case/frame paint closely there is a little sparkly/metallic effect to it.  Based on the pictures in the FZ-09 thread, the VHT paint is a little shinier than stock, but it seems pretty close.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got around to painting this last night.  Hasn't been good enough lighting conditions to take a worthwhile picture though.  I'll try to get one uploaded at some point.

The VHT paint is both a little glossier and more metallic than the stock paint, but it's still a pretty close match.  It blends with the stock paint pretty nicely.  So I sprayed heavier on the bottom of the cover where the scratches were and pulled away as I moved to the top.  Won't look perfect by any means, but I think it will be a little better than just flat black and it's still less ugly than a bunch of scratches down to bare metal.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 12:20 AM, stevesweetz said:

I got around to painting this last night.  Hasn't been good enough lighting conditions to take a worthwhile picture though.  I'll try to get one uploaded at some point.

The VHT paint is both a little glossier and more metallic than the stock paint, but it's still a pretty close match.  It blends with the stock paint pretty nicely.  So I sprayed heavier on the bottom of the cover where the scratches were and pulled away as I moved to the top.  Won't look perfect by any means, but I think it will be a little better than just flat black and it's still less ugly than a bunch of scratches down to bare metal.

Very interesting ! I would like to do the same, finally what VHT color did you choose? The flat black or the pearl one ? 

Do you have a picture of the painted part? :) 

thank you 🙏🏻 

31 minutes ago, dundee said:

The Black Pearl is da one!  The paint is a lot cheaper at Auto Zone if I remember right.

Thanks ! Unfortunately there is no « AutoZone » in France ^^ but There is a VHT seller who get the black pearl for 25$ (maybe expansive but the paint defect on my engine makes my so sad 😂

An alternative may be to buy a set of cheap covers for both sides and install them..  This will not only completely hide the damage but protect against more if you drop it again...

• Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

19 hours ago, wordsmith said:

An alternative may be to buy a set of cheap covers for both sides and install them..  This will not only completely hide the damage but protect against more if you drop it again...

Yes for sure, thanks for the advice ! I’ m looking for some protection which are not too big (I don’t really like crash bars)

• Supporting Member

I did the same thing under nearly the same circumstances.  Not the end of the world, but an ouch for sure.

Picked up a new hand guard from a Yamaha dealer for around $40.

Ordered a replacement cover; still waiting on delivery:

s-l400.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for...

...crash bars are next, even if just for highway pegs...

EDIT: Probably should have got these, instead..oh well.

https://stoltecmoto.com/shop/yamaha/fj-09/15-fj-09-woodcraft-engine-cover/

Edited by knyte
link

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
On 7/25/2019 at 4:40 AM, jdavis said:

Mine was 'British Paints Easy Spray Flat Black'. I have now fitted Crash Bars to stop a future incident.

20190106-DSC01521.jpg

@jdavis I have those crash bars installed and can confirm they do the job, at least at low speed.  Skills practice drop in parking lot.  

• Thumbsup 2

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member

@stevesweetzI have my stock hand guards from my '15 if your interested.  Perfect condition

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion.