Yamaha Extended Warranty

Decisions, Decisions,   What is the peep's take on purchasing the extra warranty?  Has anyone had to use it and how did it go?

There are YouTube vid's that beat it up pretty bad, I really would like to hear from anyone who has used it on any year bike, not just the GT, which most i'm sure are still under the factory warranty,  like mine. But should I purchase it?  The price on the web is 443.00 for 48 mth's ,  is this a pretty good price?  Sorry for all the ?'s,  but inquiring minds need to know.

• Premium Member

My 2015 factory warranty is up in a week.  Bigger question is what mods do we know if that will in fact void the warranty?

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Supporting Member

@bushman57 - I have the 4 year Y.E.S. coverage and have used it twice.  First time for the front calipers and the other time for the 12v socket, both time it was at the recommendation of the dealer and it went without incident.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

8 hours ago, bushman57 said:

Decisions, Decisions,   What is the peep's take on purchasing the extra warranty?  Has anyone had to use it and how did it go?

There are YouTube vid's that beat it up pretty bad, I really would like to hear from anyone who has used it on any year bike, not just the GT, which most i'm sure are still under the factory warranty,  like mine. But should I purchase it?  The price on the web is 443.00 for 48 mth's ,  is this a pretty good price?  Sorry for all the ?'s,  but inquiring minds need to know.

I'd say that its potential value depends entirely on how long you plan to keep the new bike with original factory warranty.   For someone like myself who changes bikes like most people change their underwear it would be a total waste of money, but for others...   On the other hand, if selling with some of the extended warranty still valid, it could gain you a few more dollars.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

16 hours ago, betoney said:

@bushman57 - I have the 4 year Y.E.S. coverage and have used it twice.  First time for the front calipers and the other time for the 12v socket, both time it was at the recommendation of the dealer and it went without incident.

How many miles on the clock?

I considered the extended warranty; after perusing the FZ&FJ forums out there I decided not too based on low #s of patterns of expensive problems/failures. Could bite me in the ass I guess ( extended warranty on my Dyna: in 4 years covered repairs totaling more $ than MSRP of the bike 😎 couldn't have ridden it too 80K without.

I believe Yamaha still comes out on top in those reliability surveys?

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the mail!  I do believe it also could be a positive in the future private owner sale, because of the transferable warranty.  Some extendable warranties allow the original buyer to receive  cash back with a residual balance.  It wouldn't be much, but the warranty wouldn't have been as much lose,  if you ride it out 4 years and never use,  or sell it. Exactly like an Insurance policy, except our great gubermint tells us we have to buy it, and then the insurance god's get together and tell us how much we have to pay to be legal. Ball licking bastards!

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Larz said:

I considered the extended warranty; after perusing the FZ&FJ forums out there I decided not too based on low #s of patterns of expensive problems/failures. Could bite me in the ass I guess ( extended warranty on my Dyna: in 4 years covered repairs totaling more $ than MSRP of the bike 😎 couldn't have ridden it too 80K without.

I believe Yamaha still comes out on top in those reliability surveys?

I had I Buell 1125r that the extended warranty covered over 2 times the purchase price of the bike. Most of it was all the same repair, burned up stater and voltage regulator 5 times. Typical Harley Davidson put the same defective part back on, no redesign. I did love that bike thought a real Torque Monster. Sold it before the extended warranty ran out and parts dried up.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

@roadrash83I always wanted a Buell, awesome design- wanted more like a Ulysses, though ( too tall, and now here I am on a tall tracer,lol). Good thing you got the ex warranty - I don't think you can blame HD for the shit design on the 1125R however. That was the bike that Buell finally got away from the HD 1200 evo based engine in favor of an Austrian built Rotax Helicon....

• Premium Member

I have a 2015 that I bought in February of 2016 with extended warranty. Clutch cable and Cam chain tensioner replaced. Both were TSB, so I don't know if it was considered under warrant or not. They didn't charge me either way. 30,000+ miles zero other problems.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA