Aux light Mounting bracket

I used those same holes to mount the cross-bar that carries the DRLs, and can echo the need for a large washer inside the fairing, as the 'hole' is pretty large, irregular in shape, and the plastic there seems a bit flimsy.   I actually used a leftover length of perforated steel strip to spread to load inside.   First pic below shows the holes from underneath highlighted with yellow arrows.   I'll check frequently that all is well down there, and that no cracking appears.

P1050543.JPG

P1050631.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the AdventureTech one for the FJ09 and it fit.   I messed up and thought it wouldn't fit and began to modify it to fit, but I was wrong.  It fits fine.  At worst case the angle might need to be tweaked in a vice, but that is doubtful.  The GT in the picture on this page is mine.

____674028676.jpg

Check out our light bar, wiring harness, and 1050 Lumen LED lights!  Click...

• Thumbsup 1

• 10 months later...
On 8/13/2019 at 3:07 PM, thejrod said:

I just mounted mine to the plastic under the headlights. It already has holes. I just backed the bolt with a large fender washer. 13118774_IMG_89612.thumb.jpg.b4337f8419244c6329d6e0b5aa033fb7.jpg

thejrod,

I just ordered 3.5 inch cree lights that weigh about 1.1 lbs each.  Do you get much vibration on your lights. im thinking of reinforcing your approach with some fabricated brackets that bolt to the Yamaha holes where a givi kit would mount....or not based on your response.  thanks

On 7/26/2019 at 5:53 AM, flyfifer said:

I was looking for proprietary aux light mounting bars/ brackets to see how they fixed to the bike.

Objective being to identify an easy make, effective  and cheap DIY design.

Givi have a system which utilizes a hollow rod that runs across the nose of the bike as the main mounting. Ref LS2139.

Yamaha's own design appears to utilise holes in the metal work of the cockpit area as does another manufacturers offering.

One thing they all had in common was three point fastening of the bracket.

Wordsmith has created his aerofoil. 

Anybody else made one ?

I just use fork clamps personally, and attach my light bar between them -

20191107_085300.jpg

• Supporting Member
On 7/13/2020 at 11:59 AM, Wintersdark said:

I just use fork clamps personally, and attach my light bar between them -

20191107_085300.jpg

I used fork clamps w/lightbar below the triple tree and some basic fork brackets w/driving lights lower on the forks.  Works well for me.

image.thumb.png.03c1dfb5f470dec8e3a05407cd3f4186.png

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

following up lights on my next upgrades. anyone fix a bar light just below the headlight. am looking more towards fog bar light for wider/shorter shine. if did, how was the bar light compare to spotlight, was thinking bar light would look neat but functional = no idea. 

meaning to ask but each time forgot.... on our ori headlight, its LED right, as owners manual did not state what type of bulb (H4?), anyone change the bulb, if any. 

i try searching these site, cant find, might as well, it would be nice to have 2 headlight illuminated together instead of left normal, and high light on right. are both using the same bulb or internally one is higher than the other. 

1 hour ago, WKE002 said:

following up lights on my next upgrades. anyone fix a bar light just below the headlight. am looking more towards fog bar light for wider/shorter shine. if did, how was the bar light compare to spotlight, was thinking bar light would look neat but functional = no idea. 

I just ordered 3.5 inch cree lights from Amazon that weigh about 1.1 lbs each.  I will use a similar approach to thejrod's post.  So, I will use washers above the holes and a black mending plate beneath the holes to which the lights will be attached.  Further i found two small metal brackets directly above the holes (as shown by wordsmith) which i will snake through thin black zip ties to reinforce the mending plate.  Below are pics of what it should like.  Keep in mind they are just hanging loosely from the hole for now.

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

Edited by Samaha
  • Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, WKE002 said:

meaning to ask but each time forgot.... on our ori headlight, its LED right, as owners manual did not state what type of bulb (H4?), anyone change the bulb, if any. 

i try searching these site, cant find, might as well, it would be nice to have 2 headlight illuminated together instead of left normal, and high light on right. are both using the same bulb or internally one is higher than the other. 

Yep, dipped and high beam and running lights are all LED, non-replaceable.

The only way to have the bike look symmetrical is to adjust the high beam downwards, so it points like the dipped beam does, and ride with main beam on all the time. That’s fine unless you ride at night, when you’ve lost the ability to illuminate the distance. You could fit additional driving lights to compensate for that. 

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 6 months later...

I'm been looking at mounting som driving/fog lights for months.  Kicked around several ideas and started fabricating Givi like brackets.  I struggled getting it how I wanted it and came up with a different plan.  So far looks like it will work OK.  My lights are smal, just over 1" in diameter and have a low and high beam.  There is a pin that connects the side inner plastic panel with the front plastic panel.  I added a support piece made of aluminum flat bar and put a bolt thru from the light bracket, a nylon spacer and then the two panel tabs.  It seems to be very secure but will not know for sure without some time on the road.

1st pic is the aluminum brace (Orange County Choppers does not fear me), 2nd pic is the light in place and 3rd pic is the brace in position.  Note it goes behind the wiring.  I'm currently working on the wiring and have not mounted the outer panel.  From the light the cable will go to a connector and from the connector to a Neutrino+ Element.  I like the Neutrino+, it will handle turn the high beam on and off as the headlight high beam is turned on and off.  The brightness of both can be adjusted in the Neutrino+ using PWM.  I don't intend to have either very bright as they are mostly helping me be seen.  Because the bolt for the bracket is at a slight angle from the horizon I cut the nylon spacer so the light can be mounted in a horizontal position.  It not pretty but I like how the lights are tucked away - I did check to see if the fender would hit the bottom of the lights with full suspension compression - it does not.

This has taken way too long, first the holidays, pretty weather thenI bought a new car on a whim (when the opportunity to buy a new car for less than half MSRP arrises then I feel obligated to do it) and my wife's Smart car had a temperature sensor go bad!  But that lead me to re-think a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter which would work on the Tracer GT and my new car.  It's tough being retired - too may projects, I need a job so I'll have some spare time!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

14 hours ago, micah2074 said:

I bought some mounts that clamp to the fork legs and mounts lights to them. 

@micah2074 that sounds interesting, any pics? Would be interested to see how it looks.

I like guns as well, but here in The UK we are severley limited in what we are allowed to have!

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, bowlin01 said:

@micah2074 that sounds interesting, any pics? Would be interested to see how it looks.

I like guns as well, but here in The UK we are severley limited in what we are allowed to have!

I'm at work today. I'll post up a pic tomorrow morning when i get off.

edit: found a couple’s  on my phone. 

1A2A9E11-9D7C-4E30-90B8-1CF8B4ADAD14.jpeg

EAF892F6-2712-45C3-9E87-A4A4F0F0AE91.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3

Let’s go Brandon