Fuel Gauge last 2 blue squares !!!

FWIW - from a fully topped-up tank to the level receding to '1/2' on the bar was exactly 210km of mixed riding.   And on my previous Gen1 Tracer (and I assume would be identical on the GT) I had 50km range remaining once the reserve came into play and screen so indicated.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Thanks a lot guys, most of it I thought so myself. Just love it when other people think the same as me, and I am not making a fool of myself.

It would be common sense to ride very carefully when you are down to the fuel warning light flashing. All my bikes have only ever had a warning light and no problems, 25 miles is about right, because if on a Motorway and you just pass a service station and the warning light starts flashing, it is about 20/25 miles to the next service station. I still will not go that long before filling up, but if I got caught out it is good to know what you have left when the warning light comes on. Brilliant.

Cheers Edgar Jessop. 

Here's my fuel up this morning. At 215 miles I put in 4.3 gallons. That puts it exactly at 50.0 MPG. My fuel light flashed for 21 miles, and running it dry to 4.8 means I had 0.47 gallons in the tank, which at the same mileage means another 23 miles. 

Bottom line, in this tank I would have had 44 miles from the time the fuel light started flashing until my fuel ran out. 

This is 100% non traffic freeway commuting, cruise control at 65 mph. 

IMG_20190729_074013334 (1).jpg

IMG_20190729_073749613_HDR (1).jpg

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

On 7/29/2019 at 5:10 PM, maximo said:

This is 100% non traffic freeway commuting, cruise control at 65 mph. 

And running in "B" mode.

And here in Louisiana you don't see 77 degrees unless it's before 7am. Some mornings this time of year it isn't below 80 in the morning. No it's NOT man-made climate change. It's been like this since I was born in the 1950's.  😏 

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

10 hours ago, tktplz said:

And running in "B" mode.

Yes, for my freeway commuting I keep it in B mode, it gets better mileage and I don't miss the extra power at all. I squeeze about 30 miles extra per tank this way. 

• Thumbsup 4

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

39 minutes ago, maximo said:

I squeeze about 30 miles extra per tank this way. 

That's cool! I don't do any commuting, but good to know. 😀

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

55 minutes ago, tktplz said:

That's cool! I don't do any commuting, but good to know. 😀

It also comes in handy when I'm out in the hills WFO in A mode and the fuel light starts blinking at 130 miles, and you're miles and miles from a gas station. Switch over to B and ride it sedately to the gas station. AMHIK

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, maximo said:

It also comes in handy when I'm out in the hills WFO in A mode and the fuel light starts blinking at 130 miles, and you're miles and miles from a gas station. Switch over to B and ride it sedately to the gas station. AMHIK

I have a '15 as well and my highway fuel economy doesn't change between drive modes, I wish it did.

When I bought the bike there was a lengthy discussion on this site about that topic so I tried it for myself.  I ran a 10 mile stretch of flat highway in each mode with the cruise control set to 70mph, fuel consumption and trip meter reset between each run once I got set at 70mph, my results were maybe 0.1 - 0.2 mpg difference between modes over 10 miles but your results are about 7.5 mpg difference. 

Do you have a different ECU flash or something?  I'm not sure why you are noticing such higher highway mileage in B mode?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

The best I have seen on my 900GT is 47mpg on a group ride (boring) in A mode ( completely  stock bike no performance mods yet, suspension comes first ) on a mixed variety of road types. All I care about is being able to ride the bike hard for about a 100 miles, fun mpg is more important then high mpg for me.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

14 hours ago, betoney said:

I have a '15 as well and my highway fuel economy doesn't change between drive modes, I wish it did.

When I bought the bike there was a lengthy discussion on this site about that topic so I tried it for myself.  I ran a 10 mile stretch of flat highway in each mode with the cruise control set to 70mph, fuel consumption and trip meter reset between each run once I got set at 70mph, my results were maybe 0.1 - 0.2 mpg difference between modes over 10 miles but your results are about 7.5 mpg difference. 

Do you have a different ECU flash or something?  I'm not sure why you are noticing such higher highway mileage in B mode?

I'm not sure which flash I have. I'm the second owner, and while the original owner did talk to me about the flash, I didn't pay attention as to which one. He specifically told me about the B mode getting better mileage, so perhaps he did have it custom? 

I do know that it's a real, reproducible thing for me. I commute 50 miles/day so I have tested this on several occasions. In A or STD mode my gas light starts flashing about 160-165, and in B mode it starts flashing about 190-195.  

There may be a tiny little bit of right wrist impact, because when the bike is in A or STD, I can't help but accelerate like a hooligan, whereas on B mode I accelerate like a CHP cruiser is right behind me. So I know that plays into the MPG. But I get on the freeway once and stop maybe a couple of times on the whole trip home, so it's impacting the MPG, but it can't account for the whole difference. 

I have noticed that the MPG calculator on the dash is disproportionately optimistic when I'm in B mode (it tells me I'm getting 64 MPG while cruising down the fwy), so for me I couldn't use that as gauge for the difference. I don't know how your onboard computer calculates, but if you have the patience to do a full tank in B mode you'll get a true reading on the actual MPG difference. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

The best I have seen on my 900GT is 47mpg on a group ride (boring) in A mode ( completely  stock bike no performance mods yet, suspension comes first ) on a mixed variety of road types. All I care about is being able to ride the bike hard for about a 100 miles, fun mpg is more important then high mpg for me.

I agree 100% with you when I'm riding for fun. When I'm riding to work, on a long, flat, straight freeway, there ain't no fun to be had. It's just a slog. Hypermiling gives me something to do, and gives me a little bit more control on which side of my commute I'll gas up. It's the little things... 

• Thumbsup 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/31/2019 at 6:56 PM, betoney said:

This was one of the first things I tested on my 2019 GT.  It gets identical fuel mileage in A or B mode too, counting freeway constant-speed miles only.  Obviously, stop and go traffic in B saves a lot of fuel (and makes me want to die inside) but running the bike at a constant speed uses the same amount of fuel... which honestly makes a lot of sense, as the engine needs to generate a specific amount of power to hold the bike at a specific speed - so that's going to require the same amount of fuel no matter what.  B mode just ignores a lot of your throttle input, restricting fuel use under acceleration.  

Edit: Ah, this was a really old post.  Probably should have checked that first.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Obviously, stop and go traffic in B saves a lot of fuel (and makes me want to die inside) but running the bike at a constant speed uses the same amount of fuel...

I actually find b uses more fuel than A. Living in Malta we don't have motorways and traffic is bumper to bumper.

• 1 year later...
On 7/27/2019 at 12:49 PM, wanderer said:

There is a little computer in there. It is trivial for the program to have a small calibration table adjust for the odd fuel container shape.

I consider this about the most annoying thing about the motorcycle (after fixing the foot peg crowding problem), because it asserts itself with every ride. It's also impossible to upgrade.

Yes, one can work around it. Not bad for a "most annoying thing".

its a nuts gauge ,,you ride for a couple hours with a full tank then bam,,your down to half ,,and so on,,, ect