Fuel Gauge last 2 blue squares !!!

On 7/28/2019 at 3:42 PM, Larz said:

It's the cheeks🥴man: the Cheeks of the gas tank on many motorcycles sit down below the tap on both sides

That's what let's it happen on my Dyna, on those Connie's and from what I can see on the FJ/Tracer gas tank , it can happen there, too, as the tank has very deep cheeks. And I believe the tap for the gas line on the Tracer is not at the lowest point of the tank when level.

So I believe the mis-conception is that moisture and sediment can't build-up or be a problem down the road in a modern motorcycle🤔 

Have you had your Tracer's tank off?  It's flat across the bottom at the back where the tank pickup is.  The pump is literally at the lowest point in the tank when the tank is on the bike and the suspension is loaded.  The "cheeks" are forwards and higher.  There's nowhere for gunk to settle.

The same applied with my other modern bike - the MT07.  

But even aside from that, my prior bikes all had the fuel petcocks at the lowest part of the tank, and the "reserve" worked by feeding directly off the bottom with the main feed a little bit higher.  This included (all 1982) a Sportster XL1000, XJ750, CB900C, and KZ440ltd. I've heard the "water and sediment" argument lots of times over the years, but I've honestly never once encountered it as a real issue.  I'd be totally unsurprised to see it on older bikes (that story has to come from somewhere, right?) and maybe some newer Harley's given they're notorious for poor design in pursuit of a specific look, but modern ones?  It seems like that's a ridiculous design flaw.  Realistically, though, you've got a fuel filter specifically to catch sediment which you really shouldn't have to begin with, and any minor amount of water (presumably from condensation?) is generally going to mix with the fuel unless you're leaving your bike to sit for a very long time.  You're not going to build up water in your tank regardless of pump location when you're riding the bike unless there's something very wrong.  There's a lot of agitation happening as you lean/brake/accelerate.

Incidentally, the manufacturer recommendations to not run the bike right out of gas have absolutely nothing to do with water and sediment, and everything to do with the pump being immersed in the fuel for cooling and lubrication (much like automotive fuel pumps) and running them dry increases wear.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Cornersruns said:

38 miles on F-trip after fuel low warning light came on is my record 😰

Good lord.  I've never run mine right out of fuel, but even at 30 kilometers I'm very, very nervous.  I really should just bring a bottle and run it dry once to see just how far it can go.

Which is kinda sad because the bike is super wheelie happy when the tank is so low, which encourages me to ride harder the less fuel I have.  Kind of counter productive.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Skidood said:

Did you run out of fuel?

No, no signs of fuel shortage, bike was running fine.  Just checked when I filled up I put 17.62L in :-0

Edited by Cornersruns
Added amount of fuel

17 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I've heard the "water and sediment" argument lots of times over the years, but I've honestly never once encountered it as a real issue.  I'd be totally unsurprised to see it on older bikes (that story has to come from somewhere, right?)

Maybe it was due to lower quality fuel or poorly maintained tanks at fuel stations.  This is going back a few years now as it seems these stories mostly come from the days of carburettors, many years ago.  In these days of extreme litigation I would not be surprised if fuel station owners are very careful about the storage of fuel, even then there a a few cases contaminated fuel in the recent past and the reputation on the culprits was severely damaged.  Fuel stations seem to be regularly updated, to the extent that the storage tanks are removed and replaced, much more frequently than I wold expect.  There must be a reason for the companies to go to such a high cost so frequently.  Not only the cost of the upgrade but also the lost revenue as the stations need to be shut for many weeks.

I've never ridden a carbed bike, not that I am young just that I only started riding about 12 years ago.  I've never had crap or water in the tank on any of my bikes.

Edited by Cornersruns
Grammar

4 hours ago, Cornersruns said:

Maybe it was due to lower quality fuel or poorly maintained tanks at fuel stations.  This is going back a few years now as it seems these stories mostly come from the days of carburettors, many years ago.  In these days of extreme litigation I would not be surprised if fuel station owners are very careful about the storage of fuel, even then there a a few cases contaminated fuel in the recent past and the reputation on the culprits was severely damaged.  Fuel stations seem to be regularly updated, to the extent that the storage tanks are removed and replaced, much more frequently than I wold expect.  There must be a reason for the companies to go to such a high cost so frequently.  Not only the cost of the upgrade but also the lost revenue as the stations need to be shut for many weeks.

I've never ridden a carbed bike, not that I am young just that I only started riding about 12 years ago.  I've never had crap or water in the tank on any of my bikes.

Ha.  Over here, there isn't a chance in hell a fuel station could be penalized or held accountable for bad fuel.  Even after going through whatever hardships would be required to prove it.

2 hours ago, Skidood said:

Ha.  Over here, there isn't a chance in hell a fuel station could be penalized or held accountable for bad fuel.  Even after going through whatever hardships would be required to prove it.

Yeah, I'd assume they'd just shrug and blame their supplier, who would shrug and maybe offer you a free tank of (probably equally bad) gas.

I've had bad gas before, most frequently though in the US at random backwater independent stations who sometimes have incredibly dated equipment.  I've never had bad gas from a name brand modern station though, here or there.

• Thumbsup 1

The FJ09 is the first bike I've owned that didn't have a fuel petcock.  On all the others, I usually rode until I had to switch to reserve then stopped for gas.  I would leave the petcock on reserve for a few miles after I filled up to keep pulling from the very bottom of the tank.  This way you never get any build up of water.  Of course, if you forget to switch back you'll have a different problem.  On this bike, I just add some gas treatment every so often and let the alcohol in it mix with any water.

• 8 months later...
  • Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Just did 30 miles on reserve, most I've done.  Wasn't trying, just wanted E0 gas and it's a run to get it.

How many gallons did it take to fill-up?

Down where I life in Florida I can have been only able to find 90 octane ethanol free. Which I run in my  KLR 650, but I don't want to run the GT on that low of an octane.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

On 7/27/2019 at 10:20 AM, edgarjessop12 said:

Still don't like the fuel gauge. Goes 120 miles showing FULL all the way, then drops all the way to half full at about 140 miles then at 150 miles a quarter

full ?????  When the empty soon warning last square and petrol pump start flashing how many miles have you got left, as I always fill up straight away frightened I will run out of fuel.  Most of my other bikes did not have a fuel gauge so no worries just rode them until the warning light came on , knowing I had 30 miles left in the tank..

Cheers Edgar Jessop. 

Nobody likes that Guage. I go by miles and usually start looking fo gas around 170 miles. Last summer a buddy tailed me in W Kansas, while I limped along watching my speed hover where the highest mpg displayed. When I finally found a pump, the tank was 3/10 gal from empty. I had limped 43 miles from flashing pump alert

Go by miles, not the Guage, and don't fret over it. Your rides will be much more enjoyable.

• Thumbsup 1

Not a fan of the gauge either.  I watch to see when it goes to half tank and kind of think of it as half the mileage from the tank.  Watch instantaneous and average fuel mileage as well as riding type to mentally estimate where I'll need to get gas.  A full tank has taken me from 150 miles to well over 200 miles depending on speed, location and gas.  E0 get better mileage while E10 and running 80 mph into a headwind while fully loaded gets a lot less.  I always reset a trip odometer, fuel used and average mpg settings when I fill up and try and fill to the same point.  If somewhere where distance between gas stations is further apart always try and get a little more in the tank - not that the 1/3 cup will really get me that much further LOL.

My W KS ride last yr was fully loaded into a strong headwind, hot as hell. I've ridden that stretch many times on other bikes no problem regardless conditions. Watching instantaneous mpg was critical. Headwinds affect my Tracer more than any of my previous bikes. Love it though.