Fuel Gauge last 2 blue squares !!!

Short answer no - only works if you are doing the same route and same speed and using the same gas.  My mileage varies so much that I tend to not associate a certain distance with a bar.  I have an idea of a base number but just it on the fly based on what that tank of gas has been getting so far.  My benchmark is the miles traveled when the display goes to half full.  Have been enough places where the next gas station was 60 or more miles away to where I keep an eye on how far to next gas and how have I been since last fill-up.  Sometimes I've been riding on higher speed roadways for the first half and then slower roads for the last half.  I'll check average and instantaneous mileage and use them to estimate distance left in the tank.

I do a lot of long trips.  Gas left in the tank is always a concern for me.  Typically I always fill to the same point in the tank.  I will use the "half tank" gauge change as a indication of what kind of mileage I'm getting.  Depending on weather, altitude, speed and gas my mileage varies significantly.  Last trip a tank lasted anywhere from 150 miles to 236 miles.  That is a big difference.  150 miles is running 79 to 80mph at lower elevations and running normal E10 gas where the other extreme of 236 miles was running 50 to 60 mph at 4,000 feet elevation or higher and E0 fuel.  Occasionally I get a tank of gas that just gets better or worse mileage - think the actual alcohol blend varies.  Always try and use the big name gas stations as they seem to be more consistent but will always pick E0 when available.

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, BarryGT said:

This topic is of interest to me because I haven't been able to figure out my range. The long bar disappears at 145 km and the small squares seem to get 45 km each. I had one square showing at 235 km. I refueled and it took less than 11 litres. Is this accurate or how much farther could I have travelled?

When I first got the bike I kept a mental note of “approximately” when the F-Trip started flashing over several tanks of gas. 
For me that is 180 miles, I’ve used that number for close to 6 years on this bike. 
Depending on where I am on a road trip, I will usually get gas early so I never have to second guess or worry about running out. 

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

12 minutes ago, betoney said:

When I first got the bike I kept a mental note of “approximately” when the F-Trip started flashing over several tanks of gas. 
For me that is 180 miles, I’ve used that number for close to 6 years on this bike. 
Depending on where I am on a road trip, I will usually get gas early so I never have to second guess or worry about running out. 

Yep.  Likewise, I found about 285kms to low fuel flashies (which is pretty much exactly the same); I figure 200 miles max range at reasonable riding. That is, speeding, but not at felony speeds, then dialing it back to fully legal riding at flashy-time.  In practice, I assume the first bar is half a tank, and that works pretty reliably for me, I've never really trusted the other bars.

But like you I tend to fuel up early.  On a long trip by myself, I'll usually stop every two hours to stretch my legs and drink some water (and typically pee, because aging bladders seem to shrink) so I just get gas at the same time - typically 240-250kms or so.  

When riding in groups, there's always someone there with a ridiculously small tank/poor mileage, and I just always get gas when anyone stops for gas to avoid being *that guy* later.

• Thumbsup 1

I use the fuel consumed readout on the right side gauge.  It works rather well to let you know what you used and a quick mental calculation let's you know what's left in the tank.  That and trip1 combination works very efficiently.  Just remember to reset to zero after each fuel stop.

My 2021 will drop the long bar anywhere from 113 miles to 145 miles depending on how I ride (city riding sucks the most fuel).

Edited by OldBikers
  • Thumbsup 2