Test Rides

• Premium Member

Demo days at the dealer here in Rocklin. Rode the Super Tenere and MT-10. Super T was comfortable and had a smooth ride. Not into the motor. The MT-10 was a lot of fun. Lots of power. You lean forward more than the FJ, so not as comfortable. But the power!!

The power is never enough to win me over on a bike.

I also test ride the MT10 this summer and have the impression. Loads of power, but hunched over and not as comfortable. The throttle was also awfull with on/off(worse than the tracer) 

• Premium Member

I rode in Mode 2. I think that's the default. Throttle wasn't snatchy. Mine on the FJ was bad, but smoothed out after adjusting the values on the APS. Maybe the same could be done on the MT-10.

Doesn't matter, the bike isn't for me. I'm 59, and can't see myself riding in that position very long.

The more bikes I ride the more I realize what a gem the FJ is. You have to spend a lot more cash to get an improvement and then that's just the beginning. Maintenance costs on those bikes will be a lot more if you can't do the work yourself.

Most of the forum members know this already.

I'm just looking to add something different. Haven't found it yet.

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, fr8dog said:

Maintenance costs on those bikes will be a lot more if you can't do the work yourself.

?  What additional costs would occur on the MT10 over the Tracer?  Most modern engines are nearly bullet proof if maintained properly whether its a 250cc or a 1400cc

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, fr8dog said:

Demo days at the dealer here in Rocklin. Rode the Super Tenere and MT-10. Super T was comfortable and had a smooth ride. Not into the motor.

That was exactly my reaction with the Tenere, smooth and comfortable but BORING.  The motor didn't excite me in any way, infact when I got back I was asking the demo representative about it to see if the bike was in a "B-mode" or some sort of power restriction for the demo ride.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Agree with Betoney. I’m a Yamaha guy, but just can’t dig the super 10. A bit too heavy as well IMHO. 

Go ride a manual Africa Twin. The DCT version is badass as well, but keep it simple for now unless the idea of an auto/manual bike appeals to you.  

I also had some seat time on the new 790 Adventure. Very impressed, but not ready to jump yet. 

-Skip

Rode the Indian FTR. It's solid but over-priced and the tire choices won't do it for me. 

But I'm happy Indian is building a more performance-oriented bike and maybe future offerings will be closer to what I want, or an FTR down the road when the depreciation has been covered by somebody else and maybe some rim swaps have been identified.   

• Thumbsup 1

I was really anticipating the release of this bike but was disappointed to see the styling take on the Ducati Diavel rather than remaining true to the Indian FTR750 flat track racer.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

On 7/28/2019 at 7:33 AM, fr8dog said:

The more bikes I ride the more I realize what a gem the FJ is. 

*Ding ding ding ding ding*

You've got it in a nutshell.  I have also just test ridden a range of other bikes in my almost annual summer test ride bonanza where I try to scratch that itch for something new.  But frankly every time I got back on the Tracer I just thought to myself "this thing is bloody brilliant, why on earth would I chuck tens of thousands of Kronor at buying something that is essentially no better for me, just newer?".

CS

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 5:06 AM, captainscarlet said:

*Ding ding ding ding ding*

You've got it in a nutshell.  I have also just test ridden a range of other bikes in my almost annual summer test ride bonanza where I try to scratch that itch for something new.  But frankly every time I got back on the Tracer I just thought to myself "this thing is bloody brilliant, why on earth would I chuck tens of thousands of Kronor at buying something that is essentially no better for me, just newer?".

CS

I keep running into this "issue" as well.   A friend and I went riding and we swapped bikes for about 15 miles.  I tried his 2015 Ninja 1000 and for being a more powerful bike, it was a bit boring.  That low RPM, slap on the ass torque of the FJ was replaced with a gentle smooth build.  Also, I think my friend fell in love with the FJ-09 after an aggressive 2nd gear, 40 mph, A-mode roll on.  That'll do it.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, superfist said:

I keep running into this "issue" as well.   A friend and I went riding and we swapped bikes for about 15 miles.  I tried his 2015 Ninja 1000 and for being a more powerful bike, it was a bit boring.  That low RPM, slap on the ass torque of the FJ was replaced with a gentle smooth build.  Also, I think my friend fell in love with the FJ-09 after an aggressive 2nd gear, 40 mph, A-mode roll on.  That'll do it.

ditto on the 15 zx1000 ninja 1000 abs, worked on them and the fairing is a pita but better for shorter riders and after heavy bar ends makes a very decent st though heavier

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

ditto on the 15 zx1000 ninja 1000 abs, worked on them and the fairing is a pita but better for shorter riders and after heavy bar ends makes a very decent st though heavier

He complained that his Ninja was "fighting" him in turns before we swapped and afterwards was amazed at how effortless the FJ was in the corners.   It definitely resisted turning, but when we stopped, I pointed at his worn out front tire as the culprit and not the weight of the bike.  He's still fairly new to road bikes and that front tire was 3 flat angles with no roundness left at all.  Literally shaped like /▔\.    So yeah, I can't really comment on how the steering felt and let him know that replacing that front will feel like a new motorcycle.

• Thumbsup 1

Even different profile tires that are new will have different characteristics.  Some will fall into a corner more than others.

I like to look at bikes, but usually walk away happy with what I have.  I did an hour long test ride on a R1200RS, and liked it.  But all the time I was thinking I'd have to change this and change that...just to get it to the place where my own bike was already.  And I look at the difference of the money I'd get for selling my bike and how much the new bike is...plus those farkles...and realize I'd be spending a LOT of money and getting very little back in performance or comfort.

Chris

• Thumbsup 1