Counter steering

Guest eatpasta
Oh lord.....Ive been through a couple of counter steering threads and they never turn out pretty.

all I know is this guy is turning right. 

252106d1185475383-supermoto-style-r-c-tracks-supermoto-slide.jpg

Just try to keep it civil, guys....

ricky_zpsqsebqlex.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No wait, doesnt he HAVE to be turning left???

Ill make an offer to everyone here - Come to a CLASS school, learn the actual difference between body and abrupt steering, and how to turn the bike from the guy who won the races and the championships during the time the other guy was writing a book on how to "do it" and then tell me how its done. Even better will be to follow me around for a couple of laps, while I ride with my left hand on the tail section, and two fingers NOT gripping the throttle at all. Just barely hard enough to twist the throttle tube.

What you wont see is my butt on the seat...

Dont tell me I am and dont know it, just because you haven't learned how to do it yet.

Will

Oh lord.....Ive been through a couple of counter steering threads and they never turn out pretty. 

ricky_zpsqsebqlex.gif

Maybe we should merge this with a "which oil is best" thread? lol

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Don't over-think this thing. We all do it (c/steer) intuitively, so just let it happen.
L of S

Guest eatpasta

ricky_zpsqsebqlex.gif

Maybe we should merge this with a "which oil is best" thread? lol

I know right?   Just throw in there some break in procedures why dont you

Guest eatpasta
I know right?   Just throw in there some break in procedures why dont you
might as well discuss the speed limiter too... <sarcasm/>
8bd1efbcdb60.jpg

• Premium Member
Ill make an offer to everyone here - Come to a CLASS school, learn the actual difference between body and abrupt steering, and how to turn the bike from the guy who won the races and the championships during the time the other guy was writing a book on how to "do it" and then tell me how its done. Even better will be to follow me around for a couple of laps, while I ride with my left hand on the tail section, and two fingers NOT gripping the throttle at all. Just barely hard enough to twist the throttle tube.

Dont tell me I am and dont know it, just because you haven't learned how to do it yet.

Will
The wife and I did CLASS last year. Gigi helped my wife a ton (red street triple). I had the burgundy FJR that was scraping pegs everywhere on streets of willow.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest eatpasta

Will
The wife and I did CLASS last year. Gigi helped my wife a ton (red street triple). I had the burgundy FJR that was scraping pegs everywhere on streets of willow.
lol8_zpsga4gz4fr.gif

did you bring extra feelers for the class??

• Premium Member
lol8_zpsga4gz4fr.gif 
did you bring extra feelers for the class??

Nope! That was with the Penske and Race Tech fork internals. The FJR did pretty good. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Ok, I get that you tons of experience in things, but just #5 is enough for me to question the accuracy of your opinion. I'm not sure how valid a parlor trick done by a world class motogp racer (who can do things on a motorcyle the average rider or club racer could never dream of) down corkscrew proves/disproves countersteering.

Hell, at MY level of riding (mediocre at best on track and street) I ride with a very loose grip on the steering wheel and fingers open. Common sense and thought everyone rode that way. Countersteering is done by PUSHING with your PALM the handlebar on the inside of the turn away from the direction you want to turn. Dropping the bike, then it's just a matter of letting the bike continue the turn putting slight input if needed to tighten  or loosen the line.

YOU CAN NOT TURN a bike with precision at speed by body position, body position absolutely contributes to the turn but is not the most important. You can turn at high speed even if you sit straight and unmoving on the seat (like all riding novices do), because you're exerting pressure on the bars. 

I do agree that braking plays no role in turning aside from altering the entry speed into a turn.

I'm sorry dr d but motogp  experience notwithstanding you're just pretty completely wrong........... We'll just agree to disagree. Started riding in 96 after an MSF class, averaging about 20k miles a year on motorcycles since. Lots of track days too.

Ive ridden the no BS bike, and rode it thru the cones with no issues. Ive actually ridden several no BS bikes and done so with no effect on the turning. The funnest part of the myth of the no BS bike is that no one will build a pro steer only bike. You could likewise do it on your bike, so the bars only turn one way, but not mine, as I dont want the crash repair. 
Ive give you a couple of examples -

#1 Doug Polen riding down the corkscrew standing on his footpegs arms raised. When I asked him how fast he was going when he did so, his reply was "faster than a club racer could" (I was Polens mechanic for several years)

#2 ANY motogp bike. Watch every chicane shot in slow mo, and you see that they fully transition side to side without the front wheel ever touching the ground in every chicane.

A few things here -

The motorcycle completes it's turn with the back wheel, but the turn is not initiated with the back wheel. It's initiated with a combination of the brakes and counter steering.

To clear up a few things

#1 Brakes have ZERO effect on turning the bike. EVER. If your brakes make you turn, you need to find a better mechanic than your current riding coach. ;)
#2 Where you CAN initiate a turn with the bars, you dont need to, and if you are trying to be SMOOTH or FAST, you shouldn't. Period. You only upset the chassis, which is the OPPOSITE of what you are trying to do. You can also stop the bike with the rear brake, but once again, only if you dont really understand what you are doing with the rest of the systems.
#3 A bicycle is a PERFECT transfer to a motorcycle, 100%. Considering there are VERY few places where you are initiating a turn with the throttle screwed on, (which eliminates the front wheel regardless) a static bicycle has the exact same forces in application. I use the bicycle as the variance in cost and speed to crashing your personal bike tends to dissuade you from doing so.
#4 A gyro (your wheel) does not care what angle it is at, It will try to maintain its path. it does NOT ever try to " W preventing the motorcycle from completely stabilizing on its own and returning to vertical. " A motorcycle does not care what angle it is at, regardless, ever. Unless there is a force being applied trying to bend it in half and sacrificing traction, like applying pressure to the bars.
#5 At the upper level of racing there is NEVER EVER pressure on the bars, EVER. When you look at ANY picture of #93, 46, 26, 69, etc etc you can see that the fingers are OPEN , expect on the brakes when they are trying to hold themselves up.

I can recommend a book - SMOOTH RIDING THE PRIDMORE WAY - http://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Riding-Pridmore-Way-Reg/dp/1884313469/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427135318&sr=1-1&keywords=smooth+riding+the+pridmore+way

Maybe take a few lessons from a guy who has actually won a race or two, not to mention a few championships. www.classrides.com

Good luck guys

Archived