Counter steering

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
lurker_zpsoyq2pa3a.gif
I just want to shout STFU but instead I'm going to laugh as you get much, much fatter from all that corn.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest eatpasta
lurker_zpsoyq2pa3a.gif
I just want to shout STFU but instead I'm going to laugh as you get much, much fatter from all that corn.
yeah...these threads never go well. 
tangent (thats loosely related to the topic) alert:
    When I was still working in the music industry I spent a summer in Aspen studying with some brilliant Neumann microphone engineers and they told me about a test they performed on a groups of classical musicians where they would play two pitches back to back and all the musicians had to do was notate whether or not they perceived the pitch to be ascending or descending. 
     When they were asked to read back their results, they were almost always different from the people around them because the Neumann engineers discovered that certain pitches played together at particular intervals are perceived differently to different people - eg; some people hear the pitches ascending, others hear the opposite.
      As a result fistfights broke out with some of the finest musicians in the world because their tonal knowledge had been called into question and that is the craft they had been honing since close to birth, and the reason they all played multi-million dollar instruments.

These counter steer arguments challenge every bikers' craft, no matter how advanced or rudimentary and it's something we all hold dear - which is a good thing..... but the discussions never go well.

I will say this: I turn my KTM525 differently in a sandwash during a race than my Speed Triple in traffic

• Premium Member
I will say this: I turn my KTM525 differently in a sandwash during a race than my Speed Triple in traffic
I always teach, Steer from the rear, when describing how to turn a dirtbike in the sand. Some may take that to mean something different. (rofl) 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest eatpasta
I always teach, Steer from the rear, when describing how to turn a dirtbike in the sand. Some may take that to mean something different. (rofl)
bikers take something the wrong way?  NAWWWWWWWWWWW 

Way I teach it to new riders ON THE ROAD (I see you dirtboys).
Passive countersteer- induced by lean (natural phenomenon).
Active countersteer- induced by push/pull on forks.

Put it together and you get new riders performing 5mtr uturns or jumping into race bikes. My ex had less then a years worth of road experience and shes now racing in the entry level of our Formula Extreme races.

Steering with the ass on the road has me beat unless you're intentionally losing traction and drifting the corner.

I cant see why this is even a debate- find a long sweeping bend where you are doing a reasonable speed and look down at your bars (not for to long!) you ARE counter steering - thats it! debate over :-)

yes theres `other stuff` trail braking, rear wheel sliding etc- but to get round a corner you counter steer- no debate or opinion its physics and you already do it! right thats that sorted- next? :-)

I guess countersteering means something different to different riders!  

As a former iceracer/speedway guy, I know that you steer with the gas and countersteer in the corners - when the REAR WHEEL is simultaneously sliding to the outside of the curve.  When it catches, you highside - a la Pridmore's book.  It's why we wore a steel shoe on the left foot inside of the corner, to support some of the weight and keep the rear tire going to the outside.  Eventually, physics catches you and you must recorrect for the straights or lower speeds as that's when the highside shows it's nasty self.  Recommend you not try this on your new FJ.  Find a POS dirt bike, roar across a dirt parking lot, stab the rear brake, and hit the gas to set up the slide while trying to continue in the same direction - you are countersteering!  Pad yourself mightily for the first few attempts which may be fail blog worthy! The same physics apply to a car - kids nowadays call it drifting. The cops call it eluding...  :)
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Concur with eatpasta's summary - on the street, sliding the rear tire to the outside of a corner may mean things are about to get really expensive and painful.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Archived