Super Tenere rider in Utah, considering an FJ-09, would like to ride one!

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I'm very interested in a FJ-09. My last 11 years of bike ownership has been as follows: Ninja 1000 >> VTX 1300 >> Vstrom 1000 >> Fjr 1300 >> Super Tenere. 

I commute on my bike 8ish months out of the year, and I do as many 150-250 mile day rides and overnighters as I can make time for. I also take a 1500+ mile trip once or twice a year.

At this point I want something more fun to ride, smaller and a little more exciting and nimble. I tried out an FZ-09, and was very disappointed with the lack of comfort and road manners. Certainly exciting, but exhausting... not something I would want to spend many hours sitting on. 

From what I read, the FJ-09 might be the answer, with better comfort and road manners, but maintaining flickability, however, I'm having trouble finding one I can test ride. I was wondering if there are any FJ-09 owners in Utah that would swap bikes with me for a ride?

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, carpaltunnel said:

My last 11 years of bike ownership has been as follows: Ninja 1000 >> VTX 1300 >> Vstrom 1000 >> Fjr 1300 >> Super Tenere.

With 5 bikes in 11 years, what did you not like about the previous bikes to make you change so frequently?  They are all very different types of bikes. 

The FJ/Tracer is kind of a jack of all trades but a compromise in many ways.  You can ride is very sporty like your Ninja but in a more upright riding position like your Tenere, you can do longer "touring" type rides like your FJR but the motor is more high strung and likes to be revved, not loafed around at 3,000rpm going 70mph and you wont have the same wind protection.  You can take it off road - think well groomed gravel roads - with some engine protection but it wont be as effective as your VStrom or Tenere.

Its certainly lighter than all of your previous bikes, but might not be as fast, sporty, dirt oriented or as comfortable, it is a great compromise that can be modified to fit your specific needs if you keep your expectations within reason.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 minutes ago, betoney said:

With 5 bikes in 11 years, what did you not like about the previous bikes to make you change so frequently?  They are all very different types of bikes. 

The FJ/Tracer is kind of a jack of all trades but a compromise in many ways.  You can ride is very sporty like your Ninja but in a more upright riding position like your Tenere, you can do longer "touring" type rides like your FJR but the motor is more high strung and likes to be revved, not loafed around at 3,000rpm going 70mph and you wont have the same wind protection.  You can take it off road - think well groomed gravel roads - with some engine protection but it wont be as effective as your VStrom or Tenere.

Its certainly lighter than all of your previous bikes, but might not be as fast, sporty, dirt oriented or as comfortable, it is a great compromise that can be modified to fit your specific needs if you keep your expectations within reason.

I appreciate the info. My shift in bikes it a bit funny... the Ninja I sold before going on an LDS mission, the VTX I sold because I wanted to get into the sport touring arena with my dad and brother, the Vstrom I sold cheap because I pretty much finished it off (lots of miles, and beat to a pulp offroad), I picked up the Fjr on a deal, and loved it for a few years, but wanted to get back into ADV, now I miss the power of the FJR and I'm tired of having such a huge machine to muscle around... so yeah, you could say I'm still figuring out what makes me tick. My brother has an FZ1 I like, but it doesn't sit upright enough, and I'm not a huge fan of the power delivery. Not enough low end. I should also mention I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, carpaltunnel said:

My brother has an FZ1 I like, but it doesn't sit upright enough, and I'm not a huge fan of the power delivery. Not enough low end. I should also mention I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs.

I am the same size as you and previously owned an FZ1 - what a great bike, I agree with you on the ergonomics and lack of low end power.  I had a custom taller seat made as well as taller bars and risers, it was insanely fun in the mountains and canyons and surprisingly comfortable on week long road trips. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 minute ago, betoney said:

I am the same size as you and previously owned an FZ1 - what a great bike, I agree with you on the ergonomics and lack of low end power.  I had a custom taller seat made as well as taller bars and risers, it was insanely fun in the mountains and canyons and surprisingly comfortable on week long road trips. 

Yeah he rides his on our longer trips. He's the same size and build as me and he never complains on 400 mile days

• Like 1

From your description of your previous bikes I definitely think the FJ-09/Tracer is worth a look. Like @betoneysays... it's somewhat a jack of all trades that can be personalized to favor one form of riding or the other (touring, sport, off road, etc).

There arent really many bikes out there that have the power, weight, and function at the price point of the FJ.  I hope you can find one either from here or maybe a dealer that you can ride to see if it's for you.

Just know that you will most likely want to mold the FJ/Tracer to fit your uses. For that reason I would recommend looking for a used one with an upgrades as it will be more cost effective than buying a new one and shelling out money for aftermarket parts yourself.  Although there is nothing wrong with going that route either.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

14 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

From your description of your previous bikes I definitely think the FJ-09/Tracer is worth a look. Like @betoneysays... it's somewhat a jack of all trades that can be personalized to favor one form of riding or the other (touring, sport, off road, etc).

There arent really many bikes out there that have the power, weight, and function at the price point of the FJ.  I hope you can find one either from here or maybe a dealer that you can ride to see if it's for you.

Just know that you will most likely want to mold the FJ/Tracer to fit your uses. For that reason I would recommend looking for a used one with an upgrades as it will be more cost effective than buying a new one and shelling out money for aftermarket parts yourself.  Although there is nothing wrong with going that route either.

Thanks. I definitely need to get on one. 

• Premium Member

I test rode a Super T Friday. Very comfortable, but boring. Not for me. The engine in the FJ-09 is special. You'll probably have to spend some cash on a seat, windscreen and suspension if you want comfort like the Super T. But the engine!!

19 hours ago, fr8dog said:

I test rode a Super T Friday. Very comfortable, but boring. Not for me. The engine in the FJ-09 is special. You'll probably have to spend some cash on a seat, windscreen and suspension if you want comfort like the Super T. But the engine!!

I test rode a 2017 FJ-09 today! That's a good mix of ergos and excitement! It will need a Sargent seat and a slight rise in the bar height for sure, but I'm sold. I want one. I'll miss the Tenere for its smooth ride and leg room, but It was so refreshing to ride a responsive flickable bike again. It reminded me a lot of my FJR, just lighter with more zip in the low end. Now to sell that Tenere... I bet I could sell it for enough to pick up a used FJ-09 with nothing out of pocket. Wish me luck!

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 3