BMW s 1000 XR

fr8dog

• Premium Member

I hadn't considered the RS. Nice looking bike. Looks like another trip to the dealer to check it out.

Another thing about the horsepower. I ride the FJ in STD mode 99% of the time. I'm probably in the minority there. "A" mode is like a new bike for me!

I tried telling my son about the XR. He dismissed it because of the blue paint scheme. He ended up buying a 950 Multistrada. Now he wants to ride the XR. The dealer had one in triple black. Very nice!

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

I hadn't considered the RS. Nice looking bike. Looks like another trip to the dealer to check it out.

Another thing about the horsepower. I ride the FJ in STD mode 99% of the time. I'm probably in the minority there. "A" mode is like a new bike for me!

I tried telling my son about the XR. He dismissed it because of the blue paint scheme. He ended up buying a 950 Multistrada. Now he wants to ride the XR. The dealer had one in triple black. Very nice!

RS with the new 1250 engine has just hit the showrooms - shame the colours are a bit naff. My lupin blue bike is very pretty

412023893_2018-09-1813_07_47.thumb.jpg.84a34c6ea7643dc8a8d1ffaa59db7c2b.jpg

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, wessie said:

RS with the new 1250 engine has just hit the showrooms - shame the colours are a bit naff. My lupin blue bike is very pretty

412023893_2018-09-1813_07_47.thumb.jpg.84a34c6ea7643dc8a8d1ffaa59db7c2b.jpg

That color looks good. What are your thoughts on chain vs shaft?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, fr8dog said:

That color looks good. What are your thoughts on chain vs shaft?

I put a Tutoro oiler on my Tracer as I was, at that time, commuting a lot on the bike in all weathers. Changed jobs now and mostly use my car.

The XR is only used for leisure and so far, in 5000 miles has not needed the chain adjusted, although it has had a service and a tyre change so may have had adjustment then. I use an aerosol lube occasionally and wash in paraffin once in a blue moon. On the trip to France, it got lubed once in 2000 very dry miles. 

Modern chains are fantastic and just don't wear like chains of old. 

I do prefer shaft drive and I have owned 4 shaft driven bikes (R1150GS, Super Tenere 1200, Explorer 1200 and R1200RS) but they do add weight and cost to a bike. 

I think if I was commuting a lot on a bike I would have the R1200RS. The low centre of gravity from the boxer engine and shaft drive are big plus points. If you do DIY servicing then boxer engines are easy to work on and relatively cheap even if you pay a BMW dealer. 

If I had to sell a bike, I think it would be the RS, though. The XR is just more fun - I have just got back from a ride on it in between this post and my last one. I deliberately ignored it for July and just rode the RS that month. I prefer the more upright riding position with the wider bars and the rate of acceleration is something else, making overtakes effortless. Part of that is having minimal power loss in the final drive due to the chain. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.