MRA Sport Touring Windshield Review

Larz

I replaced the Stock windshield with this German designed windshield roughly 700 miles ago; mixed riding: local surface streets, short Freeway stints, back country two lanes.  So far, it looks like Twisted Throttle is the only Stateside vendor that offers this direct replacement that bolts to the OEM mount- Revzilla offers other MRA windshields that are universal fit and employ variable wings. 

The description is misleading regarding touring protection: "This profile has been developed through extensive wind tunnel testing to significantly decrease pressure on the helmet at high speeds. What does this mean for you? The air is being deflected over you instead of into you, resulting in less drag and a much smoother ride. "

Smoother ride: versus the stocker, yes; decreased pressure on the helmet at high speeds: compared to the stocker, yes. The air is being deflected over you....: perhaps if you are around 4'2" in your boots, yes; for anyone taller than that, no.

I knew that going in, having read some comments from folks that had installed this shield on their Tracers. At freeway speeds, my helmet is up in clean air, noise and turbulence are similar to riding a naked bike absent the pressure on the torso and updraft. ( I'm 5'7 and have Tusk riser extenders on my bike). I find that better than having my helmet sitting in the big, rough turbulence wake the stock windshield produces. 

This MRA  windshield is very aerodynamic;  it's wake is relatively small and smooth - at freeway speeds I can feel a mild ripple around my throat/chin depending on how fast I'm going. And in passing semis I'm not feeling as much turbulence/head shake as I did with the stock shield. In the low position it puts a fair amount  of air onto my upper torso, which is nice given the triple digit temps around here. I think I might prefer a larger shield if I was riding in cold weather.

2111844985_IMG_20190707_1045011.thumb.jpg.8e12092db000a230c7d561313b006520.jpg

I find it very attractive on the Tracer, got mine in smoke grey, would have gone with the dark but it's special order at TT

879417992_IMG_20190707_1043471.thumb.jpg.54534f083f0c1c27df297b6c3f54183d.jpgIMG_20190721_103639.thumb.jpg.4b489209374696fd09848349927250ca.jpg

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love the scenery in that last shot and the weather.

I have the short MRA screen which is great, however I have also been looking at the touring one for longer trips but with the spoiler so good to hear you are pleased with it.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Got the MRA  vario touring screen and I have to say I am extremely pleased with it.

I was running the MRA short sport one which is also good for the last 4500 miles but This vario touring screen seems to be very effective, more protection than the sport but still in clean smooth air. Hard to quantify how much difference the vario bit makes but the screen is a massive improvement on the Yamaha screen.

I did try the big Yamaha touring screen but it’s a bit of a barn door and spoils the look of the bike.

• Thumbsup 1

On 8/24/2019 at 3:25 PM, quetech said:

Got the MRA  vario touring screen and I have to say I am extremely pleased with it.

I was running the MRA short sport one which is also good for the last 4500 miles but This vario touring screen seems to be very effective, more protection than the sport but still in clean smooth air. Hard to quantify how much difference the vario bit makes but the screen is a massive improvement on the Yamaha screen.

I did try the big Yamaha touring screen but it’s a bit of a barn door and spoils the look of the bike.

How long did it take for you to get yours? I ordered a MRA Vario Touring from a site I'll just call TT on 6 June and am still waiting. I've been extremely patient, only because I'm pretty set on it (I did lots of homework before buying it) but I'm losing patience. It's almost been 3 months and they are seemingly unable to give updates. 

• Premium Member

Hang in there.  It is worth it.  I have tried the VStream Sport Touring and the VStream Touring and the MRA Vario Touring and I think the MRA is the best of the bunch.  It doesn't provide quite as much coverage as the VStream Touring, but it is smoother and quieter than either one.

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, motopumps said:

Hang in there.  It is worth it.  I have tried the VStream Sport Touring and the VStream Touring and the MRA Vario Touring and I think the MRA is the best of the bunch.  It doesn't provide quite as much coverage as the VStream Touring, but it is smoother and quieter than either one.

Rob

Thanks for the heads up- the VStream was my second choice!

8 hours ago, quetech said:

Damn, I was at that website the other day and couldn't get the website to work. I finally found a work-around and got it in my cart.

£90 for the windshield + £67 for shipping to the US. :(

It really sucks because I was in the UK looking for a windscreen a few months ago on the internet and decided to buy it when I got back to the US. Had I known I would have such a hard time getting it I would have bought it somewhere while I was there and carried it on the flight back!

I ordered a Vario Touring Screen from HPS on the 28th of August and I fitted it yesterday.  Set the spoiler in a mid position and set off for a short ride where I could reach 70mph. Stopped a couple of times to try different height settings for the screen but left the spoiler set to a mid position. There is a huge improvement compared with the stock screen. Plently of smooth air at helmet level but no turbulent rough air and there is less noise created by the airflow.  No doubt I will be able to fine tune the set up by adjusting the spoiler settings in the future.

I am 5 ' 10'' and using a 3 year old Shark Evoline Helmet.
One step towards making a great bike even more fun!

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...