MRA Sport Touring Windshield Review

Larz

Thanks for the photo and your comments quetech.  I ordered both this morning from bikehps.com,  the short sport version and the vario-touring screens.  Hopefully both will have their advantages over the stock screen in summer and winter.  Willing to try anything to stop the noise! and I'm used to riding a naked bike. 

They phoned to check I actually did want both and they've already been dispatched.  Great service.

• Thumbsup 1

I did about 120 miles with the smaller screen today. 

COL64997 MRA Yamaha Tracer 900 & 900GT 2018> Onwards Motorcycle Sport Screen (SPM)  1
  Screen Tint - : Smoked/Grey

It was a warm 22 degC Hampshire afternoon and I'm running the bike in, so 80'ish max.  I'm relieved to say I'm happy with it.  The lowest position seems best.  I get clean air and no turbulence, so much the same as a naked bike.  I can feel the wind from my collarbones up I suppose which on a warm day was good.  So wind noise was as expected.  I wear the soft yellow foam earplugs.

I tried the highest position too.  Less wind on my neck, so just catching the chin bar of my Arai, certainly a bit more noise from the more turbulent air which I noticed was moving my head around a bit.  I think that would quickly become tiring so I dropped it down to the lowest position and my head stopped moving.  I'm about 5' 11" and I'm sitting on the standard seat in the standard low position.

The screen looks good, it's well made, the 4 flanged socket head button screws come with thin plastic washers and a couple of 3mm plastic spacer-washers for under the two lower screws, with a couple of small O rings to hold the washers in place while you install the screen.  No spares.

I've yet to try the taller Vario Touring screen which I hope will work best in the wet and cold.  But at least I don't have that awful distracting constant racket from the stock screen.

IMG_1360 copy.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

• 7 months later...

Iam going to order the MRA sport screen for my GT but don't know if to go for smoked tint grey or black I know this is personal choice but am asking if anyone has an opinion on this 

regards graham

17 minutes ago, Clicknow said:

Iam going to order the MRA sport screen for my GT but don't know if to go for smoked tint grey or black I know this is personal choice but am asking if anyone has an opinion on this 

regards graham

I have the smoke grey screen and think it looks better than the black screen.  Only drawback with the smoke grey, ( and it is minor) is that the few drops of water than can get between the screen and the mounting surface of the bike leave slightly visible water spots.  Hard to get behind the screen in that area to dry it after washing.  On the black you probably will not see this.  Otherwise very happy with the screen.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add my 2 cents worth; I read the experiences of Alison Silcox of Motorcycle News (MCN) here in the UK who tried a selection of screens. The MRA Vario was the best so I bought one and am very glad I did. I think we’re all agreed that the OEM screen is junk and the MRA is the gold standard IMO. The secret sauce is the spoiler. I’m 6’0” and wear ear plugs. I no longer have noise or  buffeting issues and can now concentrate on the seriously irritating seat.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@Paddy01 besides putting on the MRA Vario screen I also installed the Givi hand guard extensions on my GT. They also helped some  with the buffeting and front end lightness and head shack at higher speed. 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 5:40 PM, Larz said:

I replaced the Stock windshield with this German designed windshield roughly 700 miles ago; mixed riding: local surface streets, short Freeway stints, back country two lanes.  So far, it looks like Twisted Throttle is the only Stateside vendor that offers this direct replacement that bolts to the OEM mount- Revzilla offers other MRA windshields that are universal fit and employ variable wings. 

The description is misleading regarding touring protection: "This profile has been developed through extensive wind tunnel testing to significantly decrease pressure on the helmet at high speeds. What does this mean for you? The air is being deflected over you instead of into you, resulting in less drag and a much smoother ride. "

Smoother ride: versus the stocker, yes; decreased pressure on the helmet at high speeds: compared to the stocker, yes. The air is being deflected over you....: perhaps if you are around 4'2" in your boots, yes; for anyone taller than that, no.

I knew that going in, having read some comments from folks that had installed this shield on their Tracers. At freeway speeds, my helmet is up in clean air, noise and turbulence are similar to riding a naked bike absent the pressure on the torso and updraft. ( I'm 5'7 and have Tusk riser extenders on my bike). I find that better than having my helmet sitting in the big, rough turbulence wake the stock windshield produces. 

This MRA  windshield is very aerodynamic;  it's wake is relatively small and smooth - at freeway speeds I can feel a mild ripple around my throat/chin depending on how fast I'm going. And in passing semis I'm not feeling as much turbulence/head shake as I did with the stock shield. In the low position it puts a fair amount  of air onto my upper torso, which is nice given the triple digit temps around here. I think I might prefer a larger shield if I was riding in cold weather.

2111844985_IMG_20190707_1045011.thumb.jpg.8e12092db000a230c7d561313b006520.jpg

I find it very attractive on the Tracer, got mine in smoke grey, would have gone with the dark but it's special order at TT

879417992_IMG_20190707_1043471.thumb.jpg.54534f083f0c1c27df297b6c3f54183d.jpgIMG_20190721_103639.thumb.jpg.4b489209374696fd09848349927250ca.jpg

How are you finding the screen after all this time? would you of preferred the vario screen?

• 1 month later...

I just ordered a MRA Vario Screen from HPS for my new 2019 Tracer 900. I'm 6'1" and the stock screen was horrible with smacking my helmet around. Low and High setting were just as bad. Right now I'm running with the screen completely off of the bike and it's basically a naked bike like my old 2014 Honda CB500F. It's fine as a naked bike but I would like smoother air and more protection if possible without having a ugly barn door. I just can't do that to my bike. I really hope the MRA Vario does the trick for me because I really love this bike so far and the screen is all that's kind of really annoying me at the moment.

• 4 months later...
On 7/21/2020 at 3:04 PM, B3LZ0 said:

I just ordered a MRA Vario Screen from HPS for my new 2019 Tracer 900. I'm 6'1" and the stock screen was horrible with smacking my helmet around. Low and High setting were just as bad. Right now I'm running with the screen completely off of the bike and it's basically a naked bike like my old 2014 Honda CB500F. It's fine as a naked bike but I would like smoother air and more protection if possible without having a ugly barn door. I just can't do that to my bike. I really hope the MRA Vario does the trick for me because I really love this bike so far and the screen is all that's kind of really annoying me at the moment.

May I ask your experience with the Vario screen? I'm considering switching from a Versys 650 to a Tracer 900 GT but had the same issues with the Versys and finally fixed it by adding a MRA x-creen spoiler to a medium tall National Cycle Vstream screen. I'm 6' so your opinion can really help me decide if I want to go through all this again.

10 minutes ago, petshark said:

May I ask your experience with the Vario screen? I'm considering switching from a Versys 650 to a Tracer 900 GT but had the same issues with the Versys and finally fixed it by adding a MRA x-creen spoiler to a medium tall National Cycle Vstream screen. I'm 6' so your opinion can really help me decide if I want to go through all this again.

I put the MRA Vario Screen on the day I got it, hoping that it would make a huge improvement, and I'm sad to say that it didn't for me. I took it off after a short ride really disappointed and because I ordered it from overseas and actually used it, I had to post it for sale used on Ebay. I ended up taking quite a loss on it. I ended up just going back to my DIY cut down stock screen and I've been riding it with that ever since. I still desire to have a larger screen that would protect me more but I'm afraid to pay the money and just be disappointed again. 

PXL_20201103_225933352_2.jpg

PXL_20201005_185705400_2_sm.jpg

Edited by B3LZ0

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! Really sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. I don't have a Tracer so my advise is not really worth a lot here but what worked for my on the Versys (which has the same problems according to the forums) the combination of enough height and a spoiler is the sweet spot.

In my case this is the Vstream that I mentioned above and the MRA x-creen. But I understand that buying these both is really not a risk you would want to take. It's also not subtle as you can see.

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 20.19.37.png