MRA Sport Touring Windshield Review

Larz

9 minutes ago, petshark said:

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! Really sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. I don't have a Tracer so my advise is not really worth a lot here but what worked for my on the Versys (which has the same problems according to the forums) the combination of enough height and a spoiler is the sweet spot.

In my case this is the Vstream that I mentioned above and the MRA x-creen. But I understand that buying these both is really not a risk you would want to take. It's also not subtle as you can see.

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 20.19.37.png

Very nice bike! I considered getting one myself but ended up with the Tracer 900. I rather like that setup you have and I prefer it over the stock windshield look actually.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:30 AM, Paddy01 said:

Just to add my 2 cents worth; I read the experiences of Alison Silcox of Motorcycle News (MCN) here in the UK who tried a selection of screens. The MRA Vario was the best so I bought one and am very glad I did. I think we’re all agreed that the OEM screen is junk and the MRA is the gold standard IMO. The secret sauce is the spoiler. I’m 6’0” and wear ear plugs. I no longer have noise or  buffeting issues and can now concentrate on the seriously irritating seat.  

@Paddy01 may I also summon you back to this thread to share your experience almost 7 months later?

You are exactly the same height as me and in my experience an inch more or less can make a big difference. I don't need perfection and I also wear earplugs. I want to hear the engine clearly on top of the wind noise. With the Versys I almost couldn't hear the engine because of the buffeting, even with the much taller Vstream screen. The MRA x-creen spoiler solved this. I almost joined the many that have given up on this problem in the forums and was so happy to finally ride noise free. So I would like to solve this even before I buy the bike or I should probably stay with the Versys where this is all solved.

4 minutes ago, petshark said:

@Paddy01 may I also summon you back to this thread to share your experience almost 7 months later?

You are exactly the same height as me and in my experience an inch more or less can make a big difference. I don't need perfection and I also wear earplugs. I want to hear the engine clearly on top of the wind noise. With the Versys I almost couldn't hear the engine because of the buffeting, even with the much taller Vstream screen. The MRA x-creen spoiler solved this. I almost joined the many that have given up on this problem in the forums and was so happy to finally ride noise free. So I would like to solve this even before I buy the bike or I should probably stay with the Versys where this is all solved.

Many Tracer riders have been able to find a good solution so I think I will be at some point. If I try again I may look at the GIVI 2139DT WINDSHIELD

givi.2139dt.png

• Thumbsup 1

13 minutes ago, B3LZ0 said:

Very nice bike! I considered getting one myself but ended up with the Tracer 900. I rather like that setup you have and I prefer it over the stock windshield look actually.

Thank you! It really is a great bike. For me it was the other way round, I wanted a Tracer 700 on paper but when I tried it it was really uncomfortable, my knees wouldn't fit under that tank. There was a Versys there after the test drive and I just sat on it and it fitted like it was made for me.
So I'm just testing the water with the 900GT. What set this off was the need for heated grips and cruise control and then you start thinking why not more HP, traction control, etc... And I'm really interested in that CP3 engine which gets so much love, but actually the Kawa 650 engine never leaves me wanting more (I never ride 2-up) and I love the playful character.

8 minutes ago, petshark said:

Thank you! It really is a great bike. For me it was the other way round, I wanted a Tracer 700 on paper but when I tried it it was really uncomfortable, my knees wouldn't fit under that tank. There was a Versys there after the test drive and I just sat on it and it fitted like it was made for me.
So I'm just testing the water with the 900GT. What set this off was the need for heated grips and cruise control and then you start thinking why not more HP, traction control, etc... And I'm really interested in that CP3 engine which gets so much love, but actually the Kawa 650 engine never leaves me wanting more (I never ride 2-up) and I love the playful character.

Have you tried a Tracer 900 yet? Wondering how you feel it compares to the Versys 650. I sat on a Versys 650 in a showroom before and felt it was super comfortable as well.

5 minutes ago, B3LZ0 said:

Have you tried a Tracer 900 yet? Wondering how you feel it compares to the Versys 650. I sat on a Versys 650 in a showroom before and felt it was super comfortable as well.

No, only the 700. I have an appointment for a test ride on the 900GT tomorrow but it looks like it's going to rain and that will postpone it as they want to keep it clean. 🙂

15 minutes ago, petshark said:

No, only the 700. I have an appointment for a test ride on the 900GT tomorrow but it looks like it's going to rain and that will postpone it as they want to keep it clean. 🙂

Are you looking at the new 2021 or something before then?

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, B3LZ0 said:

Many Tracer riders have been able to find a good solution so I think I will be at some point. If I try again I may look at the GIVI 2139DT WINDSHIELD

givi.2139dt.png

I have the Givi WITH the MRA X-creen Tour.  It's very good but a real barn door that cuts top speed and kills mileage.  It is so effective that on hot days you can pass out from heat prostration.  I have an OEM size double bubble that so not flutter, again with a spoiler, that I run most often till fall, and an opaque black bikini screen for hot climes.  I do use the 3/4" +/- spacers from the Givi mounting bracket on both the intermediate and mini screens that use the OEM bracket.

It takes about 10 minutes to swap between them...

• Thumbsup 1

22 hours ago, B3LZ0 said:

Went to the dealer today but the roads were wet so we postponed the test-drive.
I will share this observation though; It small compared to the Versys 650! I had expected the 900GT to be a little bigger but it's really not. If looks and feels smaller in every way. I knew the weight is exactly the same if you only put 18 liter in the 21 liter Versys tank. Ergonomics seemed ok which was my biggest worry. But I'll only know for sure when I get to drive it.
The dealer told me he drives these at +highway speeds with the stock screen and he experienced no extreme wind noise. He also said that he has sold so many of them and only 2 people have requested screen upgrades... according to him the screen is just fine. I know that doesn't mean anything as most people don't need their garage to fit a different screen.
But I'm really curious how bad it will be now. Fingers crossed for dry weather.

Edited by petshark
mostly grammar :)

I had a BMW F800GT with a MadStad windscreen.  I bought it used with the MadStad.  It was nice but still got wind noise on top of my helmet.  Always wear earplugs so noise wasn't an issue.  Wind seemed to hit the middle of the visor and up.  Pretty cal environment generally.  Traded for a 2020 Tracer GT in the middle of a trip.  Very first impression of the windscreen was not so good.  Much more wind noise and buffeting.  Wind noise wasn't so bad, buffeting was not so good.  Seemed like someone was constantly patting my shoulders - not at the same time but alternating.  Up or down didn't matter.  Did one 500 mile 96F day on the way back.  At the end of that day I was exhausted from the heat and buffeting.  When I got home replaced the stock windscreen with a MRZ touring windscreen without the X Wing.  Much better than stock but not perfect.  I added an X-Wing copy fro Amazon.  It is very nice, some wind noise but not too bad, buffeting is gone.  I have done one 300 mile day and it was good.  I'll try and get a longer trip in next spring for a better test.  Going for longer trips next summer and think this is a good combination.  My helmet venting does offer some airflow so not as stuffy and the BMW was.  

• Thumbsup 1

17 hours ago, petshark said:

The dealer told me he drives these at +highway speeds with the stock screen and he experienced no extreme wind noise. He also said that he has sold so many of them and only 2 people have requested screen upgrades... according to him the screen is just fine.

Can understand this comment from the dealer, I test rode a 19 GT model and was so impressed by the bike It made my decision to go for the Tracer there and then and I cancelled the other test rides I had booked for a triumph and a BMW. A few weeks later I had found a very good deal on a pre-loved earlier model that came with a  full set of luggage. Half way home from picking it up from the showroom I thought I had made a big mistake as the noise and buffeting an the motorway was terrible. The earlier model has the smaller screen and was very quickly changed for a PUIG touring screen. The screen on the newer models is much better than the mark one bike.

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 9:06 PM, B3LZ0 said:

I bought one! The Versys is definitely more comfortable, especially in the feet/leg department. But once you get used to it and find a position the Tracer is ok. I like that it's more compact, less top heavy and the power is insane. The only thing that I'm not happy with are the brakes. I'm going to write a separate post about this.