MRA Sport Touring Windshield Review

Larz

On 12/26/2020 at 7:52 AM, petshark said:

I bought one! The Versys is definitely more comfortable, especially in the feet/leg department. But once you get used to it and find a position the Tracer is ok. I like that it's more compact, less top heavy and the power is insane. The only thing that I'm not happy with are the brakes. I'm going to write a separate post about this.

Congratulations on the new bike!  

Really like the Tracer not being top heavy.  Before the Tracer GT had a BMW F800GT which is similar but prior to it had a CBR600RR and a Kawasaki ZX6R 636.  They were lighter but a lot top heavier, for me really had to practice slow speed maneuvers.  The Tracer GT is so much better at low speeds.  I do a lot of long trips and riding a fully loaded bike slowly into a campground on gravel roads is when a easily balanced bike is most appreciated.  

Went out for a short ride yesterday after I got back realized I didn't even think about the windscreen and wind noise.  Roads included a short stint on the interstate so a good mix of speeds.  Really like the Tracer GT and how it is set up it just works for me!  Suspension is good wind is good I'm happy!

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Congratulations on the new bike!  

Really like the Tracer not being top heavy.  Before the Tracer GT had a BMW F800GT which is similar but prior to it had a CBR600RR and a Kawasaki ZX6R 636.  They were lighter but a lot top heavier, for me really had to practice slow speed maneuvers.  The Tracer GT is so much better at low speeds.  I do a lot of long trips and riding a fully loaded bike slowly into a campground on gravel roads is when a easily balanced bike is most appreciated.  

Went out for a short ride yesterday after I got back realized I didn't even think about the windscreen and wind noise.  Roads included a short stint on the interstate so a good mix of speeds.  Really like the Tracer GT and how it is set up it just works for me!  Suspension is good wind is good I'm happy!

Thanks!

I totally agree. I have a long gravel road to my garage. I had a conversation about this with the Yamaha dealer. He said he didn't understand why Kawasaki would place the engine so high and at an angle. The Versys does have more ground clearance and it's really easy to throw into a corner so that could be the reason. Then there is also the 21 liter tank.

I love the Versys but it's also really nice to have more of a grounded feel, I guess it's all a compromise.

Back on topic:

The Tracer I bought has a Givi D2139S Screen. It's ok with earplugs but a lot louder than the Versys solution I had. So I'm contemplating putting the MRA X-creen spoiler touring on this one as well. Has anyone else done this?

Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 10.02.29.jpg

• Premium Member

I have a  Givi screen on mine  but not that particular one.  I like it. I  just always leave it in the  lowesr position. 

I have a MRA touring windscreen but without the X-wing.  Bought a similar "wing" from Amazon.  It has worked well, not very expensive.  It worked to make the airflow off the top a bit smoother and moved it up a bit as well.  I would recommend this solution, have put a few hundred miles on it and has held up well.  A long trip with wind and rain will be the big test.  

Tried to paste a link without success, It is a Lingdu, motorcycle windscreen spoiler extension adjustable clip on windshield air deflator

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
4 hours ago, petshark said:

I bought the MRA X-creen touring spoiler to put on the Givi D2139S Screen and will install it this afternoon. I will get back to you with the results.

Have patience, there are many height and angle combinations possible, it can take a fair bit of trial and error with pulling off the road and making small adjustments, once you find the right combination though, they work really well.  👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 hours ago, betoney said:

Have patience, there are many height and angle combinations possible, it can take a fair bit of trial and error with pulling off the road and making small adjustments, once you find the right combination though, they work really well.  👍

I agree, the Givi is a lot shorter than the Vstream that I had on my Versys though and I was not able to get the same results with the X-creen today. But I will keep trying other combinations. If it's just too short I will have to look at another screen because I know for sure that the x-creen works very well from experience.

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...

Well I got out for a decent ride today, must say the shield is quite nice and a keeper. However I don't think it is heads/tails better than the OEM, but the aerodynamics are for sure much improved and it looks great. I really didn't have much buffeting with the OEM anyways, but yeah this is smoother airflow and a bit more overall wind protection as well. What I don't like is that damn lip that goes around, what a pain in the ass to install. Well I screwed up one of the metal crimps so I don't have it installed for now, makes no sense to me why this isn't installed from the factory like my last Givi shield was. 🙄

That lip is a pain to install and I'm not sure why they bothered with it.  Interesting you didn't have much buffeting with the stock - it was horrible for me.  The MRA really smoothed it up, still some noise but not bad even at interstate speeds.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

That lip is a pain to install and I'm not sure why they bothered with it.  Interesting you didn't have much buffeting with the stock - it was horrible for me.  The MRA really smoothed it up, still some noise but not bad even at interstate speeds.

Many factors with buffeting, guess I was one of the lucky ones. No question the air is more clean though, and it looks great as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've had this 2020 Tracer GT for a few weeks but weather kept me from putting it on the road until today. 

Two things that need addressing are immediately apparent: 

I can't get the damned sidestand down with the stupid peg feeler in the way. That's got to go. 

And, the windshield will only be tolerable in the warm season. I will need a replacement by next winter. 

I'm riding with the seat in the "upper" position and even with the windshield in the "upper" position, that puts the windstream right at my chest/collarbone/neck area which is not nice when the temperatures are low. I plan to ride this thing well below zero with a full complement of heated gear (which, according to the volt meter I have installed, seems to work just fine on the bike's electrical system, so hurray there). 

My thinking after 100 kms is the stock windshield will be sufficient in the warmer seasons, but the cold will demand an upgrade. From shifting my head position about, I think it will be about more than height and must consider shield angle as well. Maybe Madstad is a consideration to let some air behind the screen. 

Anyways, that's thoughts so far. 

Edited by larolco

On 2/28/2021 at 11:15 AM, Ride365 said:

Many factors with buffeting, guess I was one of the lucky ones. No question the air is more clean though, and it looks great as well.

So this is the "Touring" version you have? I'm trying to narrow down the contenders. Puig is an option, as is Givi and MRA. Perhaps the Vstream as well. Whatever I go with, it will be a tall screen. I'd like to avoid a spoiler. 

For context, this is a guy who lived with the stock screen on a V-Strom forever. Yeah, there was some buffeting but it kept the Canadian winter cold off my neck and shoulders. I even put a massive Parabellum on my DRZ to make it a feasible winter highway bike. I ride high speed in cold weather. Windshields are important to me. The Tracer stocker ain't going to cut it. 

Tracer900_GT_2018-_TM1_A_4025066163175.j

The touring windscreen (TM) for this sport touring motorcycle is 53cm long...