What a difference a day makes....

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I also have found a local suspension 'guru' who says on his website that he uses K-tech gear.   I'd have to arrange installation as well as supply as I have neither the know-how nor the tools for a DIY job.

The most important aspect of upgrading your suspension is discussing with the technician how YOU want the bike to ride.  They build the internal valving to perform according to YOUR needs.  They can build it to ride firmer for sport riding or ultra plush like a Goldwing.  When I had my shock built I told them I want it to ride like a Cadillac on the highway and a Porsche in the corners.  😎

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 hours ago, Tracerracer said:

im eager to know why different oil weight, whats the reason behind this?

As I understand it, it's because of the different jobs and hydraulic requirements of each fork leg.  The right leg is managing rebound and the left compression.  I took advice largely from this thread on another forum:

So I picked up a K-tech 20IDS cartridge kit for my FZ, but I'm not...

CS 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Another happy K-tech customer here.  I went down a very rough road in the rain last year and my front tire was off the ground a couple of times.  Not a good feeling.  Went home and made a call to JD Hord.  He did the K-tech installation and flashed the ecu to smooth the off-idle throttle abruptness and delimit A-mode.  Now the bike is composed, even on rough roads.  It's a joy to ride. 

• Thumbsup 2

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

21 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Marry that dog!

My Airedale Honey at my office. She's a keeper but so is my girlfriend. she bought me a Ducati Scrambler for Christmas in 2016.

IMG_20190430_145218.jpg

Great pic, great dog (very rarely seen here in Oz), great name, for here's MY 9yo Shetland Sheepdog, aka a Lassie lookalike, also HONEY!   Love of my life, centre of my universe, and my best mate!

P1040251.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Also posted on the GT Discussion sections of this Forum...

Intrigued by the very positive comments here about K-tech suspension parts, I took myself off to a local suspension guru this morning, who advertises that he uses this UK brand.   The business is called Ride Dynamics, so that’s a good start!

It’s only about a 30 minutes drive from home, so a consultation to get a feel of the business owner seemed worthwhile.   And it was – the workshop was spotless, a place for everything and everything in its place, as was the office.   Joe was working on some fork legs when I arrived, and spread out on a steel-topped bench were assorted parts including steel shims so thin I could almost see through them.   I’d never before seen the innards of the fork – only pictures – and it looked mighty complex.   It reinforced my intention to have a professional do the work – I have neither the tools nor the expertise. 

We talked about my requirements, chiefly a Rolls Royce (or Cadillac) ride.   Joe is familiar with the shortcomings of Tracer suspension, saying that he had at least two MT-09s in his workshop every month for upgrades, and indeed there were two such bikes there awaiting work, along with many others. 

I was quite impressed with the apparent know-how that Joe exhibited, his willingness to listen and discuss, and the options he offered – all without calling me ‘mate’ all the time.

Upshot is that we have agreed an all-up price – labour plus K-tech parts plus setting-up the bike when done – of just over AUD$2100 (USD$1425, Euro €1270, GBP£1171).

By no means cheap, but if it gives the improvement I’m looking for in ride comfort I may not need to later buy the ~$500 Bagster seat (at least, that’s what I’m telling Mrs Wordsmith)! 

I hope that the availability of the required parts here in Oz is such that the work can be done quite soon so that I can test things on a planned short-ish ~1000km two-day loop.   Then, a real work-out of two much longer multi-day tours each of ~4500km later in the year.

Stay tuned for updates and objective comments, which I'll post on the GT Discussion section of this Forum..

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.