2016 FJ 09 Oil Capacity Question

So I just did my 8k mile oil and filter change and here's what I'm seeing...

I dumped 2 quarts (32oz) of Spectro full synth 10-40 into the little hole and then added an additional 24 oz from the third quart.  To me that represents 2.75 U.S. quarts.

The online manual PDF claims a capacity of 2.85 U.S. quarts with a filter change.

But, at 2.75 Qs the sight glass is full to overflowing!  I ran the bike for about 10 miles  post-change and sight glass is still full. (And yes I let old oil drain for an hour before replugging the drain hole.)  Bike has old style oil pan w drain on bottom.

Any ideas on why this discrepancy between my world and the Yami manual?

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

My bike is off as well except mine requires more oil. If I put 2.8 qts in it only goes half way up the sight glass, for the past several oil changes I have been using 3 full quarts to get it to the top portion of the sight glass. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Not too fixated on the manual's numbers nor the marks next to the sight glass. For all my Yamahas I usually dump in 20% less than what manual calls for, filling till the sight glass is about 75%. Bring it up to temp, shut off, wait for settle, top off till there's just a sliver in the sight glass. It's kept anything from coming out the breather and kept the level light happy. 

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, betoney said:

My bike is off as well except mine requires more oil. If I put 2.8 qts in it only goes half way up the sight glass, for the past several oil changes I have been using 3 full quarts to get it to the top portion of the sight glass. 

@betoney do you have the old or new oil (side drain) pan?

BTW: My Miata drain plug looked pristine after a year in the hole.

Edited by nhchris
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

1 hour ago, chitown said:

Not too fixated on the manual's numbers nor the marks next to the sight glass. For all my Yamahas I usually dump in 20% less than what manual calls for, filling till the sight glass is about 75%. Bring it up to temp, shut off, wait for settle, top off till there's just a sliver in the sight glass. It's kept anything from coming out the breather and kept the level light happy. 

What's strange is I filled it to just below the top of the glass, ran it, and then it was over the top of the glass.

The opposite should have happened as the new oil filter drew some oil out of the crankcase.

Whatever, it runs like a basstaaaad and is not breathing oil or blowing smoke!

2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, nhchris said:

@betoney do you have the old or new oil (side drain) pan?

BTW: My Miata drain plug looked pristine after a year in the hole.

I have the original ‘15 oil pan, plug on the bottom. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...

I ran into this when I first got my bike. Putting in the exact amount the manual suggested resulted in over filling and a lot of blow by into the air box. I now fill it to the top of the sight glass. Run it. Then fill it to 75% and I still see a little residue in the air box but no puddles.