Cornering clearance

Dang this bike has generous clearance! I was riding in the mountains this weekend, keeping a pretty good pace on some lovely roads, where I came to a decreasing radius hairpin in an unexpected place. I scrubbed off as much speed as I could, leaned off my mike like I was Marc Marquez, trail braked into the turn, and still felt myself drifting closer to the centerline. So I leaned further and further, to a lean angle that would have both of my other bikes scraping hard parts, but the FJ just kept leaning. I have no idea how much more room I had, but if felt like miles! 

For those of you who know NorCal, I was northbound on Highway 3, between Trinity Center and Callahan. The hairpin was the first of several as the road climbs up Scott Mountain. A hoot of a road! 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, maximo said:

For those of you who know NorCal, I was northbound on Highway 3, between Trinity Center and Callahan. The hairpin was the first of several as the road climbs up Scott Mountain. A hoot of a road! 

We were just up there about 6 weeks ago, a lovely morning ride out of Redding. Yes, what a fantastic road!  

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Love 3. Except for the occasional logging trucks using all the road in certain spots. From Google street view looks like the Yellow Jacket Cafe in Trinity Center has reopened. Used to get some good grub there when a family ran it but think it's changed hands. It's been closed a few times and then it's like "well guess I'll just have to get to Etna faster" :) 

Edited by chitown

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, chitown said:

Love 3. Except for the occasional logging trucks using all the road in certain spots.

The first time I ever rode up there I was heading up toward the summit and encountered a logging truck coming down... completely took me by surprise. I don’t know how they make it through some of those tight curves. 

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Anyone have any actual lean angle data on this bike in a real legit corner?  I get that data off my Garmin along with G-Force and a crap load of other overlay data. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

17 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

Anyone have any actual lean angle data on this bike in a real legit corner?  I get that data off my Garmin along with G-Force and a crap load of other overlay data. 

Have no data but there's been at least one thread on lean angle where 51 degrees was mentioned.

Curious what for? 

30 minutes ago, Tracerracer said:

maybe your are to fat and or bad suspension settings -.-

Could be... Or that I actually lean the bike over in a corner

Screenshot_20190808-114712~2.png

Edited by bugie
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, chitown said:

Have no data but there's been at least one thread on lean angle where 51 degrees was mentioned.

Curious what for? 

I'm a techno-nerd.  Comes from my days of peddling thousands of miles where I'm consistently monitoring heart rate, power output, climb angle, etc....

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, coachluciano said:

I have used the Yamaha MyRide app once or twice, it showed 39 degree to one side and 40 degree the other through a section of twisties. 

• Thumbsup 1