Butt Lite Rally - July 2020

• Premium Member

Some exciting news: yesterday I learned that I've been accepted to ride in the Butt Lite X (10) Rally in July, 2020. This will be a six day endurance rally sort of like the Iron Butt Rally, but five days shorter. I expect I'll have to ride 6-7k miles during the six days of the rally which starts and ends near Kansas City. I've done a few 1-2 day endurance rallies over the years, but this will be my longest and most challenging.

I plan to ride my FJ-09 in the rally, so I have a lot of prep work to do over the next 11 months. Things to do:

1. Cruise control - time to stop procrastinating and place that MCcruise order.

2. Aux lights - still not sure which ones to install.

3. GPS - the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S looks like it will meet my needs.

4. Aux fuel - I have an old three gallon Summit Racing cell I could install right now, but it's ugly and not quite as big as I want. I may reach out to a custom builder in Portland.

5. Chain oiler - Not sure I need this one... It's my lowest priority.

I'll probably start a thread in Build Projects for anyone who wants to track my progress converting the FJ into a true LD mount.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

I expect I'll have to ride 6-7k miles during the six days of the rally which starts and ends near Kansas City.

Congrats on getting accepted... but honestly, it sounds like punishment. ☹️

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, betoney said:

Congrats on getting accepted... but honestly, it sounds like punishment. ☹️

If some riding is good, more must be better, right?

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, keithu said:

If some riding is good, more must be better, right?

"Everything in moderation..." or so they say.  At least ride at a pace that doesn't require so much Advil - 👍

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

It'll be challenging, for sure, and to be honest that is part of the appeal for me. But if these endurance rallies were just about droning down a freeway watching numbers click by on the odometer, I wouldn't be interested. Every rally I've ridden in has taken me to interesting, unexpected places that I would have never thought to visit on my own. I've been half a mile underground in a pitch dark cave, I've ridden Tioga Pass at dawn with the sun at my back, and I've discovered countless incredible roads during rallies.

Most of the best rides I've had have also been the most challenging.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

Every rally I've ridden in has taken me to interesting, unexpected places that I would have never thought to visit on my own. I've been half a mile underground in a pitch dark cave, I've ridden Tioga Pass at dawn with the sun at my back, and I've discovered countless incredible roads during rallies.

Most of the best rides I've had have also been the most challenging.

That right there makes it (a little) more appealing - but 6 consecutive 1100 mile days... 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I assume you have already upgraded your seat. I would rather have my left testicle off with with a rusty coping saw than spend an 18 hour day riding on the stock saddle!

I think the Fudge could make a decent LD bike with the right upgrades. Biggest concern I think is rear tire life. I only got 7500 miles or so out of the first rear tire.

Will be following your build...

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Yep, I had Mr. Ed's Moto build me a custom seat a few years ago. That part of the bike is definitely ready!

I got 10k miles out of my most recent PR4 rear tire. Now I'm running a Road 5 and we'll see how well it wears. My plan is two have new tires mounted at the start of the rally.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, betoney said:

That right there makes it (a little) more appealing - but 6 consecutive 1100 mile days... 

It's not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. I'm looking forward to it though.

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, keithu said:

Yep, I had Mr. Ed's Moto build me a custom seat a few years ago. That part of the bike is definitely ready!

My buddy (who also owns a '15 FJ) lives in Bend, Or.  I recommended Mr. Ed's to him, it is a very comfortable seat, high quality product.  👍

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, keithu said:

It's not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. I'm looking forward to it though.

FWIW, My buddy in Bend and I are leaving on Labor Day for a 9 day, 4,000 mile trip through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho.  A little more relaxed than your pace.  😎

• Thumbsup 2