mirror risers/ extenders

Can someone please confirm (or not) that the mirror mounts on the our bikes have a 10mm thread.   And I recall from earlier installs of these  that one is reverse-threaded - which one, please?   I've fitted more than one pair of these on earlier Tracers and want to do so again  but need the info before ordering.   My memory is not too good these days!

TIA...

P1050691.JPG

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I don't think it is a 10mm thread. I haven't had mine off yet, but the diameter of the stalks suggests it isn't going to be a 10mm thread. 

I didn't know Yamaha did the reverse thread mirror thing. But, if they do, it'll be the right one. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nigel5 said:

Can't confirm 10mm thread without measuring but a 10mm socket fits the bolt and the left mirror has a right hand thread, the right mirror a left-hand thread!

If it has a 10mm socket, clearly it isn't a 10mm thread. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@wordsmith - the ones pictured look exactly like a Chinese knock-off of the SW Motech mirror extenders.  All of the standard Yamaha models (FZ/FJ/XSR/MT/Tracer) listed on the SW Motech website are listed with M10 hardware in the install instructions.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks, guys.   I have ordered what I believe to be the right ones.   The mirror-stems on the GT are rather longer than on the Gen1 Tracers, and certainly have improved rearward vision somewhat, but having had these risers/ extenders on other bikes I very much like the even greater/ wider spread of vision that they give.   Will post comments/ pix in due course.

• Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Don't want to start a 'mine is better than yours', but I like the fact that the ones I have on order, and have used several times in the past, move the OE mirror stems outboard a little as well as raising the stems.   Anyone here younger than about 50 won't recall the Berlei bra ads of the past (or, indeed, what a 'bra' is), but these items 'lift and separate' as the ad said, giving, IMHO, the best of both worlds.   Cheap, too, at only AUD$19.88, and from past experience beautifully made and powder-coated.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Don't want to start a 'mine is better than yours', but I like the fact that the ones I have on order, and have used several times in the past, move the OE mirror stems outboard a little as well as raising the stems.   Anyone here younger than about 50 won't recall the Berlei bra ads of the past (or, indeed, what a 'bra' is), but these items 'lift and separate' as the ad said, giving, IMHO, the best of both worlds.   Cheap, too, at only AUD$19.88, and from past experience beautifully made and powder-coated.

With the mirrors coming out at an aprox 45 degree angle, either of the two would give much the same result, I would think.

One benefit with the ones you are getting, you would be able to raise the mirrors and move them forward, rather than increasing overall width of the bike.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 2:12 PM, chesterburnet said:

I have this type on mine and am very happy with them.

35747.jpeg

Our mirror extenders leave a clean stock look while extending the mirrors...

Extenders arrived. Super easy quick install. I like the stock look and the results are perfect putting the mirrors higher and out. Best $35 I've spent in awhile. 

• Thumbsup 2

You'll love them.  I do.

And no vibration at 70 mph.  Who could have guessed??

NOTE: I set my mirrors very wide to display the bikes L and R blind spots. As a car in the adjacent lane overtakes me it passes out of my mirrors and immediately shows up in my peripheral vision.  No surprises.

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Having received the correct mirror risers/ extenders from M-Factory - who also make many other fine parts - I've now fitted them, putting my two remaining brain-cells into 'reverse-thread' mode as I attacked the rhs (throttle) side of things.

As said before , these offer the double benefit of both lifting the mirrors and extending them out sideways, thereby giving the best of both worlds.   But wait - there's more: a very minor issue that I found when installing the same parts to my earlier Tracers is that when operated the TCS rocker-switch on the lhs (clutch) side marginally interferes with the riser (third pic below), although by rotating the riser around a bit I can get full clearance, albeit at the cost of losing a smidge of lateral extension, but probably no more than about 5mm.    

And as the mirrors seem to like to loosen, I'm gonna make sure that on all future outings I carry with me the correct 17mm spanner and Allen key to tighten things if necessary. 

I'm ultra-fussy when setting the mirrors and always strive to have identical coverage of what's behind in both mirrors, for as nhchris says - 'no surprises'.

P1050760.JPG

P1050761.JPG

P1050762.JPG

Edited by wordsmith