Top Box - softer alternatives?

Hi folks. I have been touring quite a bit on my Tracer 900 but have come to the conclusion that the 50L City top box simply is not too practical. The size should be plenty but the shape of the box makes it hard to utilize it fully. I also have problems with the rubber insulation band falling off.

I met some guys who use soft tail bags instead and while they seemed smaller in volume they actually seem to work much better.

What are some good recommendations for soft tail bags?

I have the standard Yamaha rack BTW. I also have the original side panniers, which I'm actually more happy with (although I wish they were top loaded and not hinged).

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4b27.jpg

If you wanted to try a waterproof tail bag, these are really low cost but are popular with kayakers. At this price you haven’t wasted much if you decide you don’t like them.

60L-Dry-Bag-Holdall-Yellow-1.jpg

Due to popular demand these 60l holdalls have gone out of stock. More...

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

I have a couple tailbags that I use. A small Cortech  and a larger GIVI. I permanently mount them using a 1/4-20 SS sidewalk bolt with a fender washer and a nylock nut. I use a Endurostan dry bag now, but used my canoe - kayak dry bags for a long time.

20190713_065507.jpg

20190428_131714.jpg

20190428_112338.jpg

20161020_111354.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I've been using Maxpedition duffels, a smaller one for day to day and a larger one as needed for trips.

The Soloduffel (pictured on bike) is 22L, converts to a shoulder bag (it is 2 point or 3 point, one strap over the shoulder and another that can attach to that strap at the waist for more stability - easy on/off).

The Unterduffel is 38L, converts to a backpack. I also got the raincover for it and it has successfully withstood some downpours.

With the carabiner bungees looped under the seat and another set over the protruding pillion handles, it is a very quick and easy on/off. Undo the front carabiners and it slides right off the back.

20190618_130206.2.cx.jpg

20190810_084636.2.cx.jpg

20190810_084726.2.cx.jpg

• Thumbsup 3